Best Waterproof Overshoe ???

glauciaregina9
glauciaregina9 Posts: 259
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi All,

I regularly commute to work, wearing sealskinz & my MTB shoes...

Have got a bit bored with arriving at work with soaking wet shoes, then having to squelch home again at the end of the day :-)

Anyone here recommend a pair of waterproof overshoes that'll fit over MTB trail shoes?

Cheers,
Stewart
Earn Cashback @ Wiggle, CRC, Evans, AW Cycles, Alpine Bikes, ProBikeKit, Cycles UK :

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/stewartmead

Comments

• CXXC
    CXXC Posts: 237
    but it hasn't "properly" rained for 2 weeks 8)

even still i use Pro Endure H20 Multi-Fit Overshoes (XL size) to keep my tootsies warm on the commute and for keeping my feet 90% dry whilst MTB. They're not 100% waterproof as they're open at the bottom, but they're durable and have some decent reflective decals.

£30 from wiggle

www.redlightjump.co.uk

FCN 3 (FCN 4 if I'm carrying clean pants)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    I'm very pleased with my pair of Pro Venturas so far. A little pricier than the Enduras, but worth it I think. Haven't tested them in a downpour yet, but they are certainly warm and toasty, perhaps a little too warm if you want to use them for wet weather later in the year. I think they are more aimed at the warm-if-a-little-wet approach rather than completely waterproof.

The XL size (40-42) surprisingly fit over my size 43 Spesh BG Sport MTB shoes, although quite tightly.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ktaylor
    ktaylor Posts: 58
    I bought some Endura Road overshoes from Evans and the zip broke on the first journey. I tried to "improvise" and eventually the zip stopped working all together.

Also I bought a larger size than advised on the packing as otherwise the overshoes would have been too small.
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    the BBB range are also good. particularly the heavy duty and the ultraflex (get from parkers)

but why not consider a pair of these:

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en& ... CBoQrQQwAA

or these:

which have a neoprene cuff round the ankle.

http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=shim ... boot&hl=en

incidentally if you dont have clipless pedlals and cleats (spd or otherwise) then dont bother with overshoes you will wear them out in no time as they have a stirrup that runs under the arch of your foot.
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    I have some gore ones which are excellent, have kept the winter out great. Only issue with all these is when you go back to shorts from tights/overtrousers. The rain will run down your legs and in through the top. I try to minimise this with elastic bands round the tops but it's not ideal.
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    I use Northwave goretex winter shoes. Really comfortable and warm.

Like with overshoes in a downpour the water still comes in the top.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I too have northwave goretex boots, and these with sealskinz socks are superb.
    I do have the Endura Neoprene overshoes and wear these with MTB shoes
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Thanks to you all for the replies to my thread.

I opted to go for a pair of Pro Endure's - found a set that I think are last years model for around £20 at cyclebasket.com ... we'll see how they perform next time it hoof's it down.

With regards to the general 'water entering over the top' syndrome, I use cut-off rubber gloves... no, not your Mum's yellow or pink Marigolds :-) - Tesco used to sell black one's, just cut the fingers off roughly around the wrist area and use the resulting tube-like section as a boot to put over the top of your overshoes.

Works great with shorts as it gives a virtually completely waterproof junction between skin and shoe...
    Earn Cashback @ Wiggle, CRC, Evans, AW Cycles, Alpine Bikes, ProBikeKit, Cycles UK :

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/stewartmead
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    With regards to the general 'water entering over the top' syndrome, I use cut-off rubber gloves... no, not your Mum's yellow or pink Marigolds :-) - Tesco used to sell black one's, just cut the fingers off roughly around the wrist area and use the resulting tube-like section as a boot to put over the top of your overshoes.

Works great with shorts as it gives a virtually completely waterproof junction between skin and shoe...

Cunning!

Will be giving that a go, thanks :D
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    Yup, your basic pipe collar/flashing detail, that - sorry, non-building/architectural types will think I mean something completely different by that.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition