Google Street View - have you seen yourself on it?

jamescw
jamescw Posts: 87
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Google have updated the Street View function on Google Maps to include most of the UK's roads. Have you seen yourself or your mates on it? If so, let us know and we'll put together a story about the top images.

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Google have updated the Street View function on Google Maps to include most of the UK's roads. Have you seen yourself or your mates on it? If so, let us know and we'll put together a story about the top images.

nope but can see my mum plus freddy (puppy) plus one of the neighbours who is in his normal place of watching the world go by, leaning on his gate...
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    my house is on google :shock: they've actually made it here this century.

Must have been taken last summer as we still have the door guard thing up. I can't believe the google car drove up our street and no one told me :(
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    My god... They've even been down the little unnamed road I live on! Must have been late last summer, looking at the pics.

:shock:

It must be quite a tall car, or a camera on a big stick, because it can see over our walls.

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,356
    *Paging Don-Don to this thread
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    edited March 2010
    Linsen, ITBoffin and I are all on there on a ride near Yatton, unfortunately they seem to have decapitated Linsen.

EDIT
    The car caught us up a little later to give Linsen her head back
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I spotted myself, not on a bike though, but I've been immortalised by Google all the same!

LIT: IT's a regular car, but with a 4 foot pole, with a camera on top....on top.

Also, they say 'Google' on the side, that's how I knew where to look for myself.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Attica wrote:
    Linsen, ITBoffin and I are all on there on a ride near Yatton, unfortunately they seem to have decapitated Linsen.

That's really awesome.

I'm just a bit jealous.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Aidy wrote:
    Attica wrote:

That's really awesome.

I'm just a bit jealous.

Seems that not every time you get snapped they use it, could have something to do with the hands in the air victory salute I gave them :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Aidy wrote:
    Attica wrote:

That's really awesome.

I'm just a bit jealous.

Jealous that I have been decapitated?
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Aidy
    linsen wrote:

... possibly jealous of the decapitator :)
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Where I work

My car is there. We go out for a 3 0'clock coffee. So that's probably me + colleagues drinking coffee talking shite. Sorry there's no bike content...

@Attica, how did you find yourselves? There's just loads of images you _might_ be in?
  • attica
    I distinctly remember where we were when the car came past - simples

The second link is where it must have done an about face because it caught us up again a minute or so later.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Aidy wrote:
    linsen wrote:

That's a bit unkind. I am very nice I'll have you know
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • attica
    linsen wrote:
    Aidy wrote:
    linsen wrote:

I have first hand experience, she definitely is very nice :wink:
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Aidy
    Attica wrote:

Sounds like there's a story there :)
  • attica
    :D
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    It must be quite a tall car, or a camera on a big stick, because it can see over our walls.

The one I was cycling behind and then in front of a couple of years ago was a Smart car (i think) with a camera on a pole on top.

Considering that I did follow one, and overtake it, I'm guessing I'm on there somewhere in Central London, but can't remember where it was - somewhere on the Baker street area probably - but not necessarily.

I can't find anyone I know on there - not even their cars as everyone I know with a car - including me (I still had one two years ago) - has off-road parking.
  • lost_in_thought
    Porgy wrote:

The one I was cycling behind and then in front of a couple of years ago was a Smart car (i think) with a camera on a pole on top.

Ahh, that would make sense.

I'm not entirely sure that I'm OK with this. We have high walls for a reason. :?
  • Aidy
    I'm not entirely sure that I'm OK with this. We have high walls for a reason. :?

Are all your stalkers becoming problematic? :)

On a more serious note, it's probably worthwhile/interesting having a read around http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/05/google_street_view_suit/
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    Cannot find myself despite the thing passing me :cry: so thought i would look for local talent out on the bikes :evil:

Didn't find anything but did notice the weather changing very very fast on top of the Bwlch

Dragon Riders Beware

Cars disappearing in the mist when only seconds before there was bright sunshine :wink:
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • lost_in_thought
    Aidy wrote:

Are all your stalkers becoming problematic? :)

On a more serious note, it's probably worthwhile/interesting having a read around http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/05/google_street_view_suit/

Yep, that's it. ;)

Have reported the images, thanks for the link, we shall see what happens...
  • emdeef
    emdeef Posts: 98
    My work site is on it. The car must have gone round the (private) perimeter road. Not sure what site security would have made of that if they had realised.

A friend of mine is visible walking around having a fag.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Attica wrote:

EDIT

Looks like you were about to go straight across the 370 when RH turn is the only option :roll:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • itboffin
    Attica wrote:
    linsen wrote:
    Aidy wrote:
    linsen wrote:

+1 :wink:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Porgy wrote:

Ahh, that would make sense.

Gotta hide your wickerman eh? :P
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 1&t=h&z=18

I reckon this is as close as I get. I think mine is the green car by the boathouse, so there's a roughly 50% chance that this is me in the pointy boat thing.
  • attica
    redvee wrote:
    Attica wrote:

EDIT

Looks like you were about to go straight across the 370 when RH turn is the only option :roll:

:oops: You've got me bang to rites there. I was hoping nobody would notice. Still rather that than more people mocking me about what I was wearing. <ducks>
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • redvee
    Attica wrote:
    redvee wrote:
    Attica wrote:

EDIT

:oops: You've got me bang to rites there. I was hoping nobody would notice. Still rather that than more people mocking me about what I was wearing. <ducks>

If you zoom in it shows you wanted by the traffic police and fashion police :lol:

image2v.jpg
  • attica
    Yeah, thanks for that, been done to death on the Social Rides thread already.

By the way the link in your sig doesn't work AND I don't believe that's your bike either - should I be calling the police too?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • redvee
    Attica wrote:
    Yeah, thanks for that, been done to death on the Social Rides thread already.

By the way the link in your sig doesn't work AND I don't believe that's your bike either - should I be calling the police too?

T'is my bike, I let a bloke from Texas ride it as I'm not good enough.