Bought Trek fuel ex6 help with Presta valves pls?

alphanumeric
alphanumeric Posts: 7
edited March 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi, been lurking for a while, so this is a 'howdy' and a couple of questions...

Bought a new Trek Fuel EX6 today, which came with Presta valves (didn't notice in all the excitement, it's so beeeoootiful ;-).

The rims are Bontrager Select, can anyone tell me if it's safe to drill these out to take the larger Schrader valve? (I mean with a standard metal drill at home, not a bike workshop jobby).

Also.........
It came with Fox Float RP-2 w/ProPedal - and no instructions for it, which considering there was for the fork (RockShox Recon SL Solo Air), I'm a bit confused. Can someone point me to any 'net source to help with set-up and future maintenance of the Fox Float?

Any help really appreciated, many thanks in advance (and if you're anywhere around Lancaster/Morecambe/Lakes...... tips for local rides, clubs, meets welcome too !!

EDIT: Oops, didn't know me Presta from me Schrader :oops:

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like they have Presta fitted :wink:

you can get an adaptor to make the presta work with a Schrader pump.

the Fox website.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    sounds like they have Presta fitted :wink:
    you can get an adaptor to make the presta work with a Schrader pump.
    the Fox website.

Sheesh, you're not only damn fast replying, you spotted the bollock-dropping too (you're right, just edited!), Thanks for that nicklouse!

......and I should have been a wee bit clearer - most of my rides are with my son, he and I have tons of tubes with Schrader valves (his bike is Schrader valved, and my old ride was too) - so whipping out the Presta's would save on spare tubes taken with us.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    cant find any info on the rims are they "Bontrager Ranger"

if the land is wide enough then it is fine but if you are going to break into the slopped sides then not really.

8.5mm
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    cant find any info on the rims are they "Bontrager Ranger"
    if the land is wide enough then it is fine but if you are going to break into the slopped sides then not really.
    8.5mm

Now see what you did there? I had to go back in the garage, measure the rim, and wipe the little bit of dribble from the corner of my mouth every time I see my dearly beloved :D

You're right, they are Bontrager Ranger and the land is approx 24mm, so looks like plenty of room to still be safe.

Thanks again nick.
  • Just get some Presta tubes and a presta pump if your current pump doesn't do presta.

I don't advocate drilling your rims. If the OEM designed them to take Presta then that's what they're designed to take.

My new KHS takes Presta tubes but I have a roadie as well so it is no big issue to me apart from sometimes carrying a Schrader and Presta tube in my rucksack...
    --
    I am become Death, destroyer of worlds.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Or stick with the presta tube, get a couple spare and use one of these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=20339
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • I made the same mistake. Hate the presta valves. I'm a bit clumsy (ok very clumsy) and have bent the ends of the valves a couple of times trying to pump them up.

I bought a little presta/scrader adapter that cost a couple of quid - works pretty well.

Buy two - they are easy to lose!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I wouldn't advocate drilling, but schwalbe presta tubes have a lockring that doubles to center the valve in schraeder holes, so your son could use them.

For pumping i'd recommend a pump with a hose connection, the topeak morphs are great.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I hate presta valves with a passion, but my stans flows have them and drilling is not an option if you want to go tubeless at any point in the future. I bulk buy tubes on the net and use an adapter.

I have learned to live with presta despite busting a couple of valves (resulting in a double puncture).

I would buy a 6 or 10 pack and an adapter and live with them. Alternatively you can buy a rim converter for your sons rims and switch to presta on both.