did I have a lucky escape?

andy83
andy83 Posts: 1,558
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
On friday just before was going out for a ride I noticed this on tyre

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_h18piYycbFI/S ... 834903.JPG

What could have caused this, I have no idea if I actually rode like it as my previous ride was at night.

Replaced tyre straight away as luckily had two brand new schawlbe blizzard tyres upstairs. Just finished putting new front one on as didnt want to take the risk

Comments

• Kallaen
    Kallaen Posts: 43
    I'm not quite sure. But I think the rubber is getting tired and therefore it cracks like that.
    The surface of the tire looks like it soon needed replacement anyway.
    Kallaen wrote:
    I'm not quite sure. But I think the rubber is getting tired and therefore it cracks like that.
    The surface of the tire looks like it soon needed replacement anyway.

The rubber doesn't provide any strength, that comes from the weave to which it is moulded and the bead. Looks like a straightforward tear to me.

You can sometimes insert boots between the tyre and the inner tube to support the tube in these cases, I carry a couple of bits of cut up toothpaste tube in my puncture repair kit for precisely this eventuality.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    I went to change the chainwheel on my SS tonight only to find three of the 5 chainring bolts had come loose yet hadn't actually fallen off not "no longer tight" but properly wobble around loose :shock:

Needed different bolts for the different chainring as it's a different thickness so the old bolts went in the bin.

Definitely a lucky escape for both of us I'd say.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Attica wrote:
    I went to change the chainwheel on my SS tonight only to find three of the 5 chainring bolts had come loose yet hadn't actually fallen off not "no longer tight" but properly wobble around loose :shock:
    This freaks me out! I noticed my chain was slack on the way into work yesterday and upon closer inspection also found all the chainring bolts were very loose.

I'd had the chainring off when I was giving the bike a proper clean last weekend. Looks like it might need a few drops of threadlock to keep stuff stuck.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Runs off to check my chainring bolts, only to find they are tight. Phew.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    I think it's actually a sypmtom of a slightly overtightened chain.

All things being not quite equal (or circular) it pulls more when it's at it's tightest (always with the pedals in the same position) and gradually works the bolts loose.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    redvee wrote:
    Runs off to check chainring bolts

+1
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    andy83 wrote:
    On friday just before was going out for a ride I noticed this on tyre

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_h18piYycbFI/S ... 834903.JPG

What could have caused this, I have no idea if I actually rode like it as my previous ride was at night.

Replaced tyre straight away as luckily had two brand new schawlbe blizzard tyres upstairs. Just finished putting new front one on as didnt want to take the risk

Yes, that was a good catch. The tyre casing had failed (could have been a cut or a pinch-flat style impact or even a minor manufacturing fault). You might have got some warning if the tube-bulge has started to hit something (brake? mudguard? frame?) or the tyre distortion was noticeable but otherwise it would just have blown out and deflated almost instantly.
    A "boot" can be helpful to get you going but these holes tend to grow, because of the strain on the cords at the edges, so you would be wise not to rely on one.

Cheers,
    W.