Did my first race today

MikeWW
MikeWW Posts: 723
edited March 2010 in Amateur race
Had planned to ride Darley Moor last Saturday but was ill. So today was my first ever road race at Shrewsbury. At 47 and having only been road riding since July I was a bit nervous but turned out to be great fun.
Think there were about 60 out. Started on the 2nd row got away cleanly and settled in for 1 hour plus 5 laps.
Was far more comfortable in the bunch than I expected maybe because I used to race cars
Reasonable pace but not as fast as I feared -even so I found myself drifting toward the back of the main bunch as I picked either the slower train of riders or just got boxed in. Shouted at a few people who weren't holding their line and onone shouted at me so I think I was doing OK. Made a few efforts to get back to the front but couldn't make it. Even so I finished in the main bunch at the end with plenty of riders either behind me or pulled because they had been lapped
Really pleased as a first effort and now I know what to expect really looking forward to the next one

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Well done. I raced there last weekend and I know it isn't easy - especially with those corners!
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Yes-especially the hairpin. On the outside you get boxed for the sprint out of the corner if you are not very careful but you can sometimes get a run in on the outside as people move over. There was a headwind as you went uphill into the top corner so you had to use a lot of energy to gain places there.
    How did you find Darley Moor?-plan to race there at some point
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Darley Moor is a lot easier in many respects. Longer circuit, so less corners to deal with (or less often).

Large group of riders so possible to sit in, as long as you can keep up out of the corners (I can't :oops: ).

Always a massive head/tailwind there - so half the race is into it and the other at your back. You have to be careful not to lose contact with the group with the wind or you're screwed.

You'd be fine there if you kept up with the bunch at Sundorne.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Well done mate. Sounds like you faired better than I did in my first outing.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French