Should my bum still be hurting? First big (for me) ride

TowerRider
TowerRider Posts: 430
edited March 2010 in MTB general
I went for my first 'proper' ride on Wednesday and enjoyed it. I did think I was going to join my dad up there at least two times. I am doing this to improve fitness and I think the ride showed that I needed to do something!
I was probably too hot most the time:
Sealskinz Socks with layer worked really well.
Five Ten Karvers stuck to pedals (bit much once!) nicely, I had to cross a bog and thigh high snow drifts but thankfully no water got to my feet with these and socks on.
Sealskinz Technical Mountain Bike gloves kept my hands warm but it took a bit to get used to the gel pads and hard to put back on after stopping for a break.
My Helly Hansan Base Layer and thermal fleece kept me very warm and comfy.
Endura Humvee full length fit really well and the velcro system seemed to work really well.
I had padded shorts on and while on the track these felt fine BUT OUCH my bottom cheeks are hurting. I feel like I have had more than a friendly cuddle. Seriously what is the correct thing to do now? do I ride more and my bum firms up or do I rest and recover.

Happy with purchases made with searching this website and forum - thanks.

Also had two cameras in use and captured great footage of the road surface immediatly infront of tyre ;(

Comments

• Johnny Napalm
    Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
    Yeah, just keep riding and you'll get used to it.

It's always a bit uncomfortable when you first start riding, but it'll not be long before you become acustomed to riding a bike, and your backside will soon become bike-friendly.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • dwill
    dwill Posts: 150
    it goes away after about 6 months :shock:
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    It does take a while for the bum callouses to form :oops:
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    TowerRider wrote:
    Sealskinz Socks with layer worked really well.

These socks are awesome, worth every penny. Just don't tumble-dry them... :oops:
    TowerRider wrote:
    Sealskinz Technical Mountain Bike gloves kept my hands warm but it took a bit to get used to the gel pads and hard to put back on after stopping for a break.

I ended up ditching mine and going for a pair of their skiing gloves instead. As you say, they are aweful to try and get back on during a ride as I found the liner would come away from the outer shell and was virtually impossible to get back inside the glove.
  • Last time I had a long time out, I tried easing into it. Once a week kinda thing, just giving it a few miles, maybe having 2 or 3 weeks off if it was really sore.

It never got any better. I found if I just sat through the pain, went out everyday, and resisted the temptation to stand, it started to ease off after a few days.
  • Ho hum
    Ho hum Posts: 236
    It does take a while for your bum to harden up, but it is so worth it when it does :)
  • TowerRider
    TowerRider Posts: 430
    Ta, looks like a few more rides are in order then. I did wonder what the heck I was doing while out that day but i did enjoy it.
    Not too happy with the signs for the trail in certain places but I suppose that is why I took the o/s map.

Have cleaned the bike and then realised there is no lube in my muc off kit so I have purchased some Rock N Roll Extreme lube and when that arrives I will be out again.

Only other problem I have is that dirt seems to have got into the disc breaks, I can feel something scraping in one place when the wheel is spun.
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Also, somthing to consider would be that you might need to change your saddle - everyone has their own preference for comfort.
  • sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    I've riden horses for over 20 years so I thought my butt was well hardened. but nope, i still have a sore bum after riding the bike.
    Caz xx