Should Warren Gatland call it a day with Wales ?

nicensleazy
nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
edited March 2010 in The bottom bracket
I don't know how much longer Warren Gatland has on his contract with the WRU, but I would of thought he would be looking fro the exit! Warren is a world-class coach, but unfortunately he and Edwards cannot play the game for Wales. I think he will call it a day with Wales after the six nations and who could blame him. It would indeed be a big loss for the WRU!

Comments

  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Ireland defence was amazing, and Lee Byrne is a pratt.
    Any golf carts/milk floats he can nick?

    As I see it, the Coach can only do so much, but his Plan seemed to stiffle Wales flair in the first half. BUT...The players play the game, so must take to responsibility for what occurs.

    There were a few occasions where we threatened the Irish line, only to give the ball away or a penalty. Overall; Ireland deserved the Win! Well done, the Mick's!

    Come on Scotland, crush the English oppressors, LOL!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Yep, it's the players. Five of the tries against Wales in this year's SN have come from mistakes - three from interceptions, two while Byrne was sin-binned. I don't think Wales are any worse than England and Scotland, and France were there for the taking. I think he should hold out until after next year's World Cup. Wales hae either done badly or briliantly in the SN the last five years.
    FCN 2-4.

    "What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    I think Warren G should just Regulate.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Well...it seems like Wales play best when they're scared of the coach. When Edwards and Gatland took charge in the first year, they played out of their skins. Now it seems familiarity has truly bred contempt amongst the players. They seem like they're too happy in a comfort zone, since they have realised that Gats won't drop players for errors like in the AWJ incident.

    Too many echos of the player-power-vs-Mike-Ruddock row IMO.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Dazza2280
    Dazza2280 Posts: 156
    One bad six nations shouldn't get him sacked or put pressure on him to leave, look how long Frank Hadden lasted at Scotland!!!! as long as he's got a plan to sort it out he'll be fine.

    Lee Byrne is a pratt though, a year ago he was the best full back in world rugby, seems he's got caught up in all the hype of it and fancy's himself as a superstar!
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    After the "trip" incident, and the golf cart debacle, now the tap of the ball by Byrne, you gotta question Wales discipline!

    We've all done stupid things during a game, but not with 70,000 people and 25 cameras watching....
  • nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    Be interesting to see how things develop in the Welsh camp!
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Really could see this coming. when wales won the grandslam they started believing what the press were saying about them. They are nowhere near as good as they seem to think. Disappeared up their own arse i'm afraid.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    edited March 2010
    wicked wrote:
    Really could see this coming. when wales won the grandslam they started believing what the press were saying about them. They are nowhere near as good as they seem to think. Disappeared up their own ars* i'm afraid.

    partial FAIL

    being a real follower of Welsh rugby and knowing the game by playing it for years, it has been a rollercoaster ride for Wales, just as it is with England right now. Ok we haven't won a world cup (in 15s anyway!), infact we havent put in many good displays at a finals, but there have been times where Wales could match any team in the world on their day. I think the mike ruddock squad of 2005 was the best we've had since the 80s and back then it was a different game altogether. real potential there was lost by the bad vibes in the board rooms

    discipline really is the problem for us, the players make stupid mistakes and give away unforced errors all too often which other teams punish us for. We dont make enough of good opportunities. this year we have been abit lucky with some sinbins towards the end of the game. its been a rubbish series in my view.

    said before the first match France would win and they will
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    and to add, I dont really care for Gatland, I'd thank him for his time, see him leave and wave good bye. but I wouldnt want shaun edwards to go. He is more vital imo and should be acquired as a fulltime coach
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    acidstrato wrote:
    wicked wrote:
    Really could see this coming. when wales won the grandslam they started believing what the press were saying about them. They are nowhere near as good as they seem to think. Disappeared up their own ars* i'm afraid.

    partial FAIL

    being a real follower of Welsh rugby and knowing the game by playing it for years, it has been a rollercoaster ride for Wales, just as it is with England right now. Ok we haven't won a world cup (in 15s anyway!), infact we havent put in many good displays at a finals, but there have been times where Wales could match any team in the world on their day. I think the mike ruddock squad of 2005 was the best we've had since the 80s and back then it was a different game altogether. real potential there was lost by the bad vibes in the board rooms

    discipline really is the problem for us, the players make stupid mistakes and give away unforced errors all too often which other teams punish us for. We dont make enough of good opportunities. this year we have been abit lucky with some sinbins towards the end of the game. its been a rubbish series in my view.

    said before the first match France would win and they will

    FAIL yourself. You say the Ruddock team was the best, look what happened there! Your players stabbed him in the back and were frankly a disgrace. Wales capacity for self destruction is really quite impressive. Why drag england into it? We were discussing wales. If we start talking about englands problems we will be here all day! At least we know we are crap. :wink:
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,289
    We've got through no end of coaches and I can't see anyone else doing any better with Wales. We only have 4 teams at the top level so there just isn't enough strength in depth anymore. The club system should have been left alone.
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    only wanted to use England's form as a comparison to Wales own. Regardless of the backroom issues off the field, on the field was fantastic at times and I dont even blame Ruddock for leaving because frankly it was pathetic, it also opened my eyes to the reality of some of my favourite players at the time. Was fairly gutted infact.

    I agree the club system should have been left well alone, my supported club team have been rubbish ever since!
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    acidstrato wrote:
    only wanted to use England's form as a comparison to Wales own. Regardless of the backroom issues off the field, on the field was fantastic at times and I dont even blame Ruddock for leaving because frankly it was pathetic, it also opened my eyes to the reality of some of my favourite players at the time. Was fairly gutted infact.

    I agree the club system should have been left well alone, my supported club team have been rubbish ever since!

    +1
    Ruddock did nor deserve what he got.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    wicked wrote:
    acidstrato wrote:
    only wanted to use England's form as a comparison to Wales own. Regardless of the backroom issues off the field, on the field was fantastic at times and I dont even blame Ruddock for leaving because frankly it was pathetic, it also opened my eyes to the reality of some of my favourite players at the time. Was fairly gutted infact.

    I agree the club system should have been left well alone, my supported club team have been rubbish ever since!

    +1
    Ruddock did nor deserve what he got.

    +1
  • If the welsh get rid. Can we have him for England.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Damn it, the English have figured out our plan, to infiltrate their camp!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    acidstrato wrote:
    discipline really is the problem for us, the players make stupid mistakes and give away unforced errors all too often which other teams punish us for.

    This is the problem. We've given away around 40 points because of this, I think. However, the games against Oz and ABs iin the autumn showed how slow the passing is amongst the backs, particularly the ABs game.
    FCN 2-4.

    "What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    I can't claim to know much about Rugby but surely it can't be news to Welsh players that the game is in fact 80 minutes long....
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    OK...There's ONLY ONE Team Games where the Coach calls the plays/shots,
    American Football.
    If the Coach calls the wrong play, it's on their head. Yes, the play can go wrong due to the opposition, but generally, He's the Kiddie!!!!

    So, Gatland. Yes, he's the Coach and can set out a general "Game Plan", but the Players have to execute and adapt to the situations, THINK ON YOUR FEET then.
    American Football rarely does this, but it is occassionally possible.

    Therefore, Gatlands hands are generally tied when the games starts at either half, but he can influence it with substitutes etc. He can only do so much, and so far, up until recently, he;s been a good coach, as far as I can see.
    THE PLAYERS of a Rugby game are the ones that have to perform.

    I have played Rugby Union, Touch Rugby League and American Football. All great games.
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    cjcp wrote:
    acidstrato wrote:
    discipline really is the problem for us, the players make stupid mistakes and give away unforced errors all too often which other teams punish us for.

    This is the problem. We've given away around 40 points because of this, I think. However, the games against Oz and ABs iin the autumn showed how slow the passing is amongst the backs, particularly the ABs game.

    as splottboy points out, it's the players that play the game. Not us, we're not giving away the points or losing the games and they're not playing for us, they're playing for themselves. A bit of 'distance' might be a good thing.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,289
    as splottboy points out, it's the players that play the game. Not us, we're not giving away the points or losing the games and they're not playing for us, they're playing for themselves. A bit of 'distance' might be a good thing.

    Well, as they're representing my country I feel they are playing for me. Surely that's the point of sport otherwise it would mean nothing. It's the reason why people get so carried away when we win a grand slam or down in the dumps when we lose as it's a representation of national pride. If we didn't feel part of a team game there would be no excitement as the result wouldn't matter.[/url]
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    i dont think anyone here is under the illusion that they are part of the actual team although one could argue being the 16th man since the atmosphere of the millenium stadium shows similarities of the old Kop on match days but isnt that the point of supporting your team, being involved? fans pay the wages. without fans there would be no sport END OF

    so in retrospect they are playing for us, because if we dont turn up to the games or buy merchandise, they wont be playing at all
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    ynyswen24 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    acidstrato wrote:
    discipline really is the problem for us, the players make stupid mistakes and give away unforced errors all too often which other teams punish us for.

    This is the problem. We've given away around 40 points because of this, I think. However, the games against Oz and ABs iin the autumn showed how slow the passing is amongst the backs, particularly the ABs game.

    as splottboy points out, it's the players that play the game. Not us, we're not giving away the points or losing the games and they're not playing for us, they're playing for themselves. A bit of 'distance' might be a good thing.

    I see what you mean, but they're representing their country, which is why I say "we".
    FCN 2-4.

    "What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    wicked wrote:
    Really could see this coming. when wales won the grandslam they started believing what the press were saying about them. They are nowhere near as good as they seem to think. Disappeared up their own ars* i'm afraid.
    Well done :D
    I think if you made same comment about england I would have agreed with you, but obviously you do not kno anything abou rugby!