L'eroica

andy162
andy162 Posts: 634
Has anyone on here done it/doing it? I'm thinking about giving it a go this year.
La Fuga want about £1000 for flights, accomodation & entry to the event. I think Mrs Andy will come along so the La Fuga route would be too costly. Can anybody recommend any hotels etc?

How is the event itself? I'm up for the 200km route if I go. The route looks stunning & gravel roads can only add to the vintage feel!

Andy.

Comments

• redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    A mate of mine did it last year and hasn't stopped talking about it ! :D

Seemingly brilliant (L'eroica not him) but very difficult due to the gravel roads etc .
  • john_wr
    john_wr Posts: 50
    I have ridden it for the last two years, but not this year.

First note the entry regs. Last year for the first time it was compulsory to have a period bike with external brake cables, down tube shifting levers and pedals with toe clips and straps.

I would say it is not like a "competitive" sportif, but more like a huge club run. The atmosphere is tremendous and most riders take their time. I have only ridden the medio distance and have finished in about 9 hours. If you want to ride the long distance be ready for a start in the dark and you will need lights.

There's lots more I can tell you so if you send me a pm I can reply in more detail or give you a call.

Coincidence, but we're just drinking the bottle of Chianti Classico awarded to all finishers or the two longer routes last year. And boy is it good! :D

John.
    In the East Riding as well.
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    Thanks John, pm'd you.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    This is one I've done twice in 2005-2006. Never done the 200 Km, I did the 135 Km in around 7 hours. It's tough, but you'll struggle to find a better event anywhere. The atmosphere is unequalled, the food stops with traditional dishes and local Chianti are amazing. The three different areas it runs through are beautiful and quite different. The early morning start in the dark is also something special. The free lunch you get at the end should teach a thing or two about how to cook proper food for hundreds of riders.

I suggest you fly to Pisa, rent a car and drive to Gaiole in Chianti. If you have friends, you can stay in the local Agriturismos, otherwise, for the real experience you can sleep for free in the common tent they set up close to the start (do they still do that?). First week in October is quite chilly, but for a British should be OK.

All you need is a bike with old fashion pedals and gear levers and cables running outside the bars and you're in business. get a vintage woollen jersey on E-bay for added effect
    left the forum March 2023