Clothing for a summer tour...

CyclingBantam
CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
edited March 2010 in Tour & expedition
I'm due to be riding my 1st self supported tour this summer (Early June), riding from northern England to Northern Italy and I am starting to confuse myself with what clothing I should take for on the bike.

I am trying to travel as light as is reasonable and therfore believe I should take the following gear:

Bib Shorts x 2
Short sleeved jerseys x 2
Summer base layer x 2
Windproof Gilet

Now my real confusion is what jacket to take. Should I go for a fleece style jacket that can then be covered by a lightweight waterproof in case it rains or should I go for a warmer waterproof jacket that in effect, does it all, therefore only needing 1 jacket?

What does everyone else take to cope with summer rain. I'm likely to be warm enough but don't want to be soaking wet!
:?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Waterproof jacket won't keep you warm when it's cold but dry - eg at altitude at night. With a warm mid-layer and waterproof you can either have just the waterproof (eg riding uphill in the rain) or both (riding downhill in the rain). 'summer rain' doesn't sound like an issue, but don't underestimate how cold you can get on a long mountain downhill in the rain (especially if you've got hot and sweaty on the way up).

I'd go for mid-weight merino for maximum versatility. Probably Ground Effect do the best value and most durable long-sleeved mid-weight layer, but I've also just bought a great mid-weight from Finisterre. I also swear by Howies NBL merino tops, more expensive than man-made but more versatile (stay warmer when wet, and don't get smelly).
  • tatanab
    tatanab Posts: 1,283
    Many years of summer tours has led me to --
    One set of cycle clothing in use.
    One set of cycle clothing for tomorrow.
    One pair leg warmers.
    One lightweight fleece/Roubaix type jacket.
    Cotton cap for the sun.
    Waterproofs, whatever you choose. No need for a windproof.

Don't forget you need some people clothes as well -
    One pair modern lightweight travel trousers - Rohan sort of thing.
    One shirt, again a Rohan type of thing.
    Socks are "tomorrows cycling socks", but I also take a pair of very lightweight shoes for the times my cycling shoes are too wet to want to walk around town. I use Jinga http://www.jingashop.com/ because they pack so compactly.

You will be travelling through France so should have an EN471 jacket or slip over to comply with the law if you end up in poor visibility, say going over the end of the Alps.

Clothing - that is all I take for a couple of weeks.
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    Personally, I would not tour with bib shorts - they take up too much room in your bag and are not practical for all day wear (i.e. answering calls of nature). Shorts are better I think.

I only take one cycling top (a fairly loose fit one) - along with one lightweight baselayer for hot days and one heavier one for cooler days. I don't wash the top every day if I wear it over a baselayer, I don't think its necessary. Better still, take a merino baselayer and you only need one.

For the summer, i would not take a warmer waterproof - it will be too hot and sweaty in most conditions. Layering is everything. I'd take a good tight weave top (either cycling top or a mid layer baselayer type), take a lightweight gilet or super light windproof to go over that for colder days or on descents, and a minimalist waterproof for wearing over it all if it rains.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Subscribe. Was going to ask a very similar question, I'm also interested in your route, have you planned your journey across the alps yet?

I plan on taking,

1x merino wool base layer - won't smell and can be warn at night etc.
    2x bib shorts (can't imagine doing 100 mile days with anything else?)
    2x jersey
    1x waterproof jacket, taking my Gore Path II, waterproof and combined with the base layer keeps me warm down to -5 when moving but its not good when standing around.
    1x pair fingerless cycling gloves
    1x beach trousers
    1x evening top or might just wear my base layer
    1x cheap light shoes for the evening
    2x socks
    1x merino wool boxers, again for the smell factor :lol:

I'm also curious about the French cycle laws and EN471 jackets, now I'm crossing the Alps in Switzerland, so might not need one legally in the event of dull weather?
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    iPete wrote:
    I plan on taking...

I'm planning on taking exactly the same stuff on my LEJOG in May - although I'll also probably throw in arm and leg warmers as they pack small and give you that little bit more of an option.

I am considering also taking along a gilet too, as I'm planning on early starts and not sure I fancy full sleeves during 'mild' spring mornings!
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Not official cycling gear but I like wearing Goalkeeper football kits esp if you can get padded elbows..The.England goalie strip etc..An extra size gives lots of Ventilation..Cheap to buy when kits are changed
    jc