Sore Butt Blues

KonaKurt
KonaKurt Posts: 720
edited March 2010 in MTB general
Here is something that I do not understand...

I'm a reasonably experianced rider of several years, a slightly big lad but still fairly aerodynamic, so to speak... :o)

I'm very used to my SDG saddle, and I like to ride a good mixture of road and trail, about 20 miles per week minimum, often double that in summer months. I would say my fitness level is sort of average, and my general health is pretty good. In other words, I pretty average.

Yet about once per week, every week or so, I keep suffering with a sore rear, especially 'right up top', after a ride. It is sometimes quite a long 8 hour ride, but sometimes just a 1 hour ride will leave me sore..! And then take a good 2 or 3 days to get better :o( If I'm unlucky, a boil or two too :o( (sorry to put anyone off their breakfast!)

I thought new saddles, too much weight, the wrong shorts and just riding excessive hours caused this problem, but appearently not! I just can't work out why I get sore butt blues so often, and more importantly, so RANDOMLY..!

Anyone get the same ruining their riding fun?

KK with his extra cushion.

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Try using Chafe-Ease, very natural stays in place when you ride, lubricates and soothes.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • KonaKurt
    KonaKurt Posts: 720
    I just looked 'Chafe Ease' up. Looks interesting, particularly since some of the ingrediants like tea tree oil and lavender, help heal soreness. Thanks Robert, though I am wondering how long an application of this stuff will last for (ie, how durable it is to stay on in the parts where daylight doesn't reach during riding..!)

Looks pricey though for a small tub. And if it resembles Vaseoline, that can make matters worse sometimes because it blocks skin pores.

KK - with a large bathroom sponge in the shape of a rubber duckie, down his pants.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I have found it lasts better on a long ride than other products.

Plus a small tub lasts a long time, so it works out pretty cheap per ride.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"