Tubs for racing

rjeffroy
rjeffroy Posts: 638
edited April 2010 in Amateur race
Having punctured in 4 out of the last 5 races I'm rethinking my tub choice. Currently running Continental Competitions. Anyone got any recommendations?

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Vittorio Corsa Evo CX work for me. Nice tyres.

But if you ride over sharp objects, you're always at risk of getting a flat!
  • Si C
    Si C Posts: 130
    Pokerface wrote:
    Vittorio Corsa Evo CX work for me. Nice tyres.

But if you ride over sharp objects, you're always at risk of getting a flat!

Aye. I punctured a brand new Evo CX within 2 minutes of riding the bike!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    That's the thing with racing tubs - they ar designed to be light and fast. Not heavy and durable.

And for flatting - it can happen in the first 2 minutes or the last 2 minutes of a race - just depends on what you hit and when.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Yes get HP's. Our surfaces are crap so I would not contemplate tubs as theres no benefit speed wise and ther'e expensive to repair and never the same again.
    I dont even use tubs on outside track only on velodrome
  • Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    Currently trialling some Panaracer Tubs - I'll let you know later in the year how they perform. Used bith Conti's and Vittoria CX's last year - never had so many punctures on tubs before.
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    Veloflex Pave's ?
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    two years ago i used vittoria evo cx's and i had about 4 or 5 flats in one season on them and had got fed up of replacing that so often to switched to conti sprinter gatorskins for last season and didnt flat once, the front one still has a fair amount of treat but i have just put a new conti sprinter on the back and will see how this one holds up
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Back in the day, way back in the day(70's), guys used to run Vittoria CG's(heavier)
    on the back wheel and CX's(a bit lighter) up front. This seemed to work rather well in avoiding flats. Not sure what goes on these days. Seems like the local guys use mostly clinchers.
    A previous post mentioned Continental Sprinters and they have my vote as a good sturdy tubular, that is reasonably priced, well suited for racing, and fairly light weight.
    I have also used Tufo tubulars(and tubular clinchers) with no problems to speak of.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I use Vittoria Corsas for the last 2 seasons - no punctures. Team mate bought 4 Conti GP tubs - 3 race starts and 3 punctures on the same courses. I've also used Tufos with sealant which are pretty durable, but don't feel as nice.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • yep recommend the pave CG's as they are a little wider and alot thicker on both the casing and the ammount of tread rubber. the thicker the tread rubber generally they will be a little more hard wearing and robust. I've run pave CG's all winter in a winter series at hillingdon an not punctured once. The CX's are a lovely light tyre but as for robustness theyre quite a fragile tyre.
    Inverse Racing UK / Bikefood
    http://www.inverseracing.com