how do you adjust the brakes on a 2009 tricross

jackthelad
jackthelad Posts: 89
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
guys can not find adjusters anywhere to adjust the brakes on my 2009 tricross was wondering if you add an additional adjusters and place it at the old hanger or is there adjuster spmewhere and i just cant find them.So any help appreciated

jackthelad

Comments

• Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    My Tricross has V-brakes instead of the Cantis that the current crop have but it sounds like they still haven't managed to include any barrel adjusters as standard, which is pretty poor.

I had to buy V-brake noodles with adjustable tops to solve it, not sure what you'll need but I think you'll have to purchase some kind of barrel adjuster either for the hanger or just an in-line one.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    For the front I fitted a fork mounted hanger with adjuster, which Specialized sent me for free. They are fitted as standard to 2010 models.
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    Jamey wrote:
    My Tricross has V-brakes instead of the Cantis that the current crop have but it sounds like they still haven't managed to include any barrel adjusters as standard, which is pretty poor.
    I still can't believe that Specialized send them out the door with no adjusters especially for canti brakes where you have to tweak things as that pads wear. :?

The Kona Jake has interrupter brake levers with barrel adjusters on and that fact is one of the reasons I've not got rid of them on mine. IIRC the alternative is a barrel adjuster at the cable hanger although that is going to be next to impossible to fit if the hanger is stem mounted but should be okay if its fork mounted. No idea where you can get the appropriate adjusters from but I would have thought a chat with your LBS mechanic ought to get you some idea.

Mike
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Ummm.... mine has adjusters, came fitted :?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    I've got a feeling mine came with an adjuster on the spacer type hanger - not sure as I changed it pretty quick!

I don't have much of a problem adjusting it at the calliper end using the cables anyway?
  • Thanks for the info guys,I was beginning to think I had lost the plot with not finding the adjusters.Got the bike from dales in glasgow so going to approach them and have a look at their 2010 model to see how the brakes are adjusted.

About v brakes is it a case of fitting new levers to the bars and disconnecting the present levers or can you conbin the 2 brake sytems together..

jackthelad.