Crank arm removal

ed1
ed1 Posts: 6
edited March 2010 in The workshop
So, I'm trying to remove the crank arm but am struggling to locate the tool to do it. I'm wanting to replace the bottom bracket and also the chainring.

My crank uses what Sheldon Brown describes as "a spindle with a small threaded boss protruding past the ends of the square tapered section. A nut threads onto this boss to secure the crank onto the spindle. Usually, the nut is a special nut with a built-in serrated lock washer, so that no separate washer is required. Sutherland calls this crank spindle design "Type II."" http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/cotterless.html

I think this is it: crank101.jpg

Could you please point me in the direction of the correct tool I need to remove said crank arms.

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you will need a crank puller after you have removed the nut.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=103

the article that you took the picture from lists the tools and the next picture down shows the tool in use.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ed1
    I have the Lifeline crank removal tool:
    lifeline-6655.jpg

But it doesn't seem to fit. It seems to have the same attachment as the Park Tools crank puller (which appears to be used in the article).
    park%20ccp2.jpg

Clearly I'm doing something wrong and making a noddy mistake :roll:

Help! How do I remove the crank :?:
  • nicklouse
    wind the toll back into its self. fit and screw in.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • ed1
    I've done that but the crank boss on to which the nut is threaded gets in the way. The toll won't wind in far enough.
  • nicklouse
    sorry then find a tool that works. or pop into your LBS for then to do it or to supply the right tool.

cant say that i use anything different for the nutted axles.
  • ed1
    OK, shall do. Thanks for the help NL, much appreciated.
  • Erm..just to state the obvious - you have first removed the nut, haven't you?
  • ed1
    Yeah, I've removed the nut. That bit I can do!