Questionnaire for Commuters!

Erika
Erika Posts: 9
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Thank you to everyone who completed the first questionnaire on respiratory safety and air pollution! All of your feedback has sparked more and more broader questions! Sorry for a repeat of the first few short questions; these answers are most valuable when comparing the rest of your feedback. If you didn't complete the first questionnaire, not to worry - it would be great to get your feedback on this one!

Thanks again in advance for your prompt response! :)

Erika

1) What Country/City do you live in?

2) What Nationality are you?

3) What age group are you from?

4) What is your occupation?

5) How long have you bicycle commuted for?

6) How long do you ride for at any one time when commuting?

7) How would you describe the environments you commute through? (e.g. clean air/countryside or dusty roads/countryside or clean air/city or City smog).

8 ) Does exposure to 'particle' air pollution concern you? (e.g. road dust etc.)

9) Does exposure to 'vapours/gases concern you? (e.g. Carbon Monoxide)

10) Have you seen anyone wearing a PPE product to aid respiratory protection when bicycle commuting?

11) What products do you wear on your head/face/mouth when bicycle commuting? (e.g. Helmet, sunglasses, any form of head/face warmer, mouth guard etc)

12) Have you ever worn a mouth guard (For cycling or other), what was your reason for doing so? and how did it make you feel? (e.g. uncomfortable, protected)

13) Do you listen to music when bicycle commuting?

14) If so, what sort of headphones/method do you use for sound transfer?

16) Are you concerned with your visibility when bicycle commuting?

17) If any, what products do you wear to aid visibility? (e.g. reflective/ florescent clothing or products).

18 ) What are your concerns and anxieties when bicycle commuting? (e.g. visibility, air pollution, accidents with cars etc.)

19) Are you familiar with any other type of PPE product for respiratory protection?

Further comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated...

Comments

• amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    perhaps it would be better to create a survey at one of the free survey sites, e.g SurveyMonkey.com

Some of your questions are quite personal and people are unlikely to respond in an open forum.

Just a suggestion.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Liverpool, UK

British

28-30 (29)

Clerical

10 years

Usually ~20 mins but up to an hour if the weather's nice

7) How would you describe the environments you commute through? (e.g. clean air/countryside or dusty roads/countryside or clean air/city or City smog).
    City - clean, unless I'm stuck behind a bus's exhaust pipe

8 ) Does exposure to 'particle' air pollution concern you? (e.g. road dust etc.)
    No

Yes when stuck behind a bus or something else spewing heavy fumes

10) Have you seen anyone wearing a PPE product to aid respiratory protection when bicycle commuting?
    Yes but very rarely (a handful of times in 10 years)

11) What products do you wear on your head/face/mouth when bicycle commuting? (e.g. Helmet, sunglasses, any form of head/face warmer, mouth guard etc)
    Helmet, sunglasses, skullcap under helmet when it's cold, scarf over lower face when it's freezing

12) Have you ever worn a mouth guard (For cycling or other), what was your reason for doing so? and how did it make you feel? (e.g. uncomfortable, protected)
    No

No

n/a

Yes

17) If any, what products do you wear to aid visibility? (e.g. reflective/ florescent clothing or products).
    Front light, 2 rear lights, hi vis "sam brown" belt in the dark

18 ) What are your concerns and anxieties when bicycle commuting? (e.g. visibility, air pollution, accidents with cars etc.)
    Visibility to other traffic

19) Are you familiar with any other type of PPE product for respiratory protection?
    No
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973

UK; Reading

British

35-45

Professional Engineer

8 months this time, 15 years prior to this

40 - 50min, depending upon the bike I'm on and the headwind

Countryside / relatively clean city air (having just returned from Istanbul, it;s like being in a meadow on the roads

Not particularly

Radon does when I'm caving but not really on the roads

No

Woolly hat, buff, glasses in no particular order

No

No, I would rather hear what is coming up behind me

NA

Yes

2 back lights, 2 frontlights, headtorch, hi viz clothing, hi viz stickers

None really, the ride home destresses me. Avoiding cars is always in the back of your mind but providing you anticipate the traffic around you then I dont see it as a problem. There will always be the nutter or drunk driver you cant anticipate but thankfully I've not seen too many of those.

Yes
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    London, UK

British

Office based

8 years I think

Usually 20/25 mins but can be 1:30 in the summer.

City - air quality seems ok on the whole

No

Not overly, I try not to get stuck behind 'smoky' vehicles

Yes but very rarely

Cap & sunglasses

For about a week 8 years ago, it sucked.

Yes

Standard iPod 'phones

Yes

Front light, 2 rear lights, hi vis "sam brown" belt in the dark

Getting knocked off (again!)

No
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    Oslo, Norway

Scottish

Mechanical Designer

15 months

25-45 minutes

Clean, city

A little in summer

No

Occasionally in summer, once or twice maybe. It's not common.

Helmet, cycling glasses, Balaclava in winter. Don't cover my breathing though.

Yes, for working with toxic dust. Protected (because I was working with toxic dust!)

No

If I did I'd try handlebar mounted speakers

Yes

Hiviz in dark/foggy/misty conditions. Lights.

Flat tyres

Nope
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    edited March 2010
    Surrey

British

30-35

Media Business Analyst

1 year

About an hour (17 miles)

From suburbia, though the countryside to the city.

No.

No.

Yes.

Helmet, sunglasses, very occasionally a skull cap under my helmet and a my buff over my face.

No.

No.

Yes

Lights at all times (flashing and fixed), reflectve piping on clothing, marine SOAS hi-viz on rucksack.

None, other than the general concern about road safety that all road users (should) have.

No.

Further comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated...[/quote]
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    edited March 2010
    1) What Country/City do you live in? Manchester

2) What Nationality are you? British

3) What age group are you from? 40-50

4) What is your occupation? Public Service - technical

5) How long have you bicycle commuted for? 15+ years

6) How long do you ride for at any one time when commuting? varies - bog standard commute shortest door to door distance 7 miles 20-30 minutes. plenty of other routes though and if its warm and sunny and nowt else to do, hours and miles until I head for home

7) How would you describe the environments you commute through? (e.g. clean air/countryside or dusty roads/countryside or clean air/city or City smog). outskirts - rural - outskirts mixed air quality

8 ) Does exposure to 'particle' air pollution concern you? (e.g. road dust etc.) No

9) Does exposure to 'vapours/gases concern you? (e.g. Carbon Monoxide) - occasionally when I can taste the exhaust fumes in a queue or stuck behind a bus

10) Have you seen anyone wearing a PPE product to aid respiratory protection when bicycle commuting? barely ever

11) What products do you wear on your head/face/mouth when bicycle commuting? (e.g. Helmet, sunglasses, any form of head/face warmer, mouth guard etc) helmet always, buff over the ears and 1 over the chin/mouth/nose if chilly. gore windstopper balaclava instead of the buffs if its really cold. helmet alone in the warm. prescription glasses all the time.

12) Have you ever worn a mouth guard (For cycling or other), what was your reason for doing so? and how did it make you feel? (e.g. uncomfortable, protected) No

13) Do you listen to music when bicycle commuting? No

14) If so, what sort of headphones/method do you use for sound transfer? N/A

16) Are you concerned with your visibility when bicycle commuting? No I take plenty of precautions for my own safety. However I can't legislate for the speeder or the idiot that can't wait to overtake inappropriately or the prat looking for a mint, tuning the radio, texting etc whilst driving- I'm well aware that all the visibility in the world won't help me in certain situations.

Edit - precautions include road positioning, riding prime, making eye contact etc not just wearing stuff
    I also have mirrors which help me catch movement behind in my peripheral vision as early as possible between backward looks and give me advance warning if I need to be making myself look big or getting out the way a bit

17) If any, what products do you wear to aid visibility? (e.g. reflective/ florescent clothing or products). multiple lights front and rear (all with side spill too) , fixed on bike, flashing on helmet for higher level visibility over cars, country road walls etc. front and rear reflectors on bike, and pedals, reflective slap bands on tubes of bike, reflective walls on the tyres, spoke reflectors, bright hi viz upper clothing - minimum: a sam browne belt usually a Hi Viz polo shirt or bike specific stuff with reflectives - always bright colour for daylight visibility when theres no lights to hit the Hi Viz banding, bike specific shoes with reflective heels and slap bands round my wrists as indicators

18 ) What are your concerns and anxieties when bicycle commuting? (e.g. visibility, air pollution, accidents with cars etc.) None the stuff I can't control ( @ Q16) I don't let bother me - some irritations: poor road surface not getting fixed quickly enough, frozen run off from a farm field across the road, work whinging where I park my bike and inadequate, grudging provision for changing and storage there

19) Are you familiar with any other type of PPE product for respiratory protection? various for work purposes but they're heavy duty and inappropriate for bike use
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    London

British

18-24

Administrator

5 Months

1 Hour 15 minutes

dense city/dirty air

no

no

no

Helmet, head band for warm ears & cycling glasses.

no

no

n/a

Yes

Hi Viz patches on my bib tights, on my panniers & smell parts of my jacket, I do however wear predominantly dark clothing but use powerful lighting.

Unpredictable cars but this can be aleviated with more experience.

no
  • 1) London, UK

2) British

3) 40-44

4) Web & Copy Editor

5) 22 years

6) Depends, but usually it's 1 hour 10 minutes

7) Busy city roads, often choked with traffic and quite often pollution

8 ) Not too much

9) It concerns me more

10) If you mean those face mask things, then yes

11) None

12) No)

13) Yes, at a moderate level

14) Small in ear phones that do not block out external noise

16) Well I always use lights, but I am more concerned with making myself seen through how I behave and move on the roads

17) Just lights and a light coloured jacket

18 ) Cars turning without indicating, cars pulling out without looking, pedestrians stepping into the cycle path on the road without looking, all junctions and roundabouts, cars passing too closely and acting aggressively, and of course, lorries, particularly skip lorries

19) Nope

• Additional answer to 18 - drivers who are not looking at the road but are playing with their satnav / mobile phone / stereo etc
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    Erika wrote:
    Brighton
    British
    32-34
    Cycle Instructor
    On and off over 10+ years
    Up to 2 hrs
    Mixture of City, coast roads, country lanes and cycle paths
    A bit
    A bit
    Less and less these days
    Helmet and clear glasses
    Nope
    No. But I usually sing
    n/a
    Very much so, yes.
    2-4 rear lights, Altura Night Vision Evo jacket, Altura Night Vision trousers and gloves, 2+ front lights/torches and lights on my helmet.
    Lack of attention from other road users.
    Bus drivers who skim past really close.
    Taxi drivers who do the same.
    Pedestrians texting instead of looking.
    Inexperienced cyclists.
    Dogs.
    After reading a recent thread, squirrels.
    Nope.

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    London, UK

British

45-50

Administration

18 months

35 mins

7) How would you describe the environments you commute through? (e.g. clean air/countryside or dusty roads/countryside or clean air/city or City smog). City polluted.

Yes

Yes

A few times

Helmet, protective glasses or sunglasses, cap or buff

No

No

N/A

Very

Reflective jacket or vest and/or bright tops, 1 front light, 3 rear lights and spoke lights

Drivers getting too close or turning left without due care and attention, air pollution during the summer months, peds stepping out into the road without looking.

No
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Morecambe, UK

British

40-50

Programming/database

~4 years

20-25 minutes

clean air/town

Not generally. Getting dust in my eyes is annoying, but I wear sunglasses for that.

Not really.

No

Helmet, unless it's a sunny day (in which case I like to feel the sun on my head). Sunglasses (or clear lenses), mostly to keep the grit and wind out of my eyes). If it's cold enough, I wear a Buff to cover my neck and jaw (but not my mouth). Also, I tend to wear something to cover my ears on chilly days because otherwise I find I get earache.

Not worn one, no

No

n/a

I am concerned, but only because car drivers are lazy and inattentive. I shouldn't have to make myself stand out in order to be seen; drivers to look properly rather than just vaguely glancing around.

I have a "hi-viz" yellow jacket, and wear reflective snap strips around my ankles. In the dark, I have 4 rear LEDs; one blue, one red solid, one red flashing, and another red solid on my ankle so it moves up and down as I pedal.

My main concern is the inattentiveness of drivers, and the extremely low standard of driving exhibited by some people. I am also concerned with not being passed and dropped by other commuters.

No
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Have you lot got nothing better to do :P

:roll:
    Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I live in Devon and commute to Taunton, Somerset

English

I am 44

Computer Programmer

11 years

1 hour

Countryside + Busy A road + Urban

No

No

No

I wear eye protection

No

No

-

Yes

light coloured coat
    briight orange gilet with reflective bands
    flourescent ankle bands
    3M spoke reflectors
    Extremely powerful front and rear lights

close passing motor vehicles
    speeding motor vehicles
    motor vehicles being driven without due care or attention
    broken glass
    potholes and poor surfacing

no
  • londonbairn
    londonbairn Posts: 316
    Erika wrote:
    Thank you to everyone who completed the first questionnaire on respiratory safety and air pollution! All of your feedback has sparked more and more broader questions! Sorry for a repeat of the first few short questions; these answers are most valuable when comparing the rest of your feedback. If you didn't complete the first questionnaire, not to worry - it would be great to get your feedback on this one!

Thanks again in advance for your prompt response! :)

Erika

London
    Scottish
    20-25
    Banker
    just under 2y
    about 45-50 mins
    city smog
    not really
    not really
    yes
    skull cap, sunglasses, helmet
    no
    no

yes
    2 front lights, 2 rear lights, viz cover for backup
    accidents
    no
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    London

British

Journalist

30 years

17km

Suburbs

No

Yes

Yes

Helmet (sometimes), sunglasses

No

No

N/A

Yes

Clothing with fluorescent parts

Wind, rain and cold

No
    UK/Bristol

British by passport, although half Swedish in heritage :D

I'm from all age groups under-and-including 26!

Electronic engineer

Just over a year, on-and-off

45 mins or so.

City centre, A-road, dual carriageway, and suburbia. Car exhausts, currently quite a lot of nasty tarry air surrounding roadworks.

Not often in my locality, no.

No. Not sure how much of that you really need to be subjected to in order to be damaging?

Like a smog mask? Only once or twice in Bristol.

Helmet, sometimes sunglasses, never usually anything over the mouth as it feels a bit suffocating (apart from the one night I cycled home in hail/sleet, ouch!)

Only a buff, for aforementioned sleet - felt hot and suffocating pretty quickly.

No

n/a

Yes

Brightly coloured tops, socks, hi-viz vest when twilight/dark. Bike covered in reflective bits, lights on wheels, and red/white on rear/front - 1 each of flashing and steady.

Mostly anxious about any kind of collision, with ped, bike, car, bus, other. Awareness levels high for anything that could go wrong.
    Sadly didn't expect the lady who had paused to my left on the roundabout to start moving again and sidewall me just as I passed in front of her :(

Nope.
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159

Swindon

British

60+

Research Scientist (Geology)

2 years

15 - 20 mins

Parkland/Urban - clean air

No

Not whilst commuting - occasionally when working on research on volcanos - usually Carbon Dioxide, Sulphur Dioxide, Carbon Monoxide

No

Helmet

Yes - during research trips - essential in some circumstances

No

No

No

Reflective clothing

Careless drivers - poor road surfaces

Yes
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    England

British

25-30

Test Engineering

3 years

1 1/2 hours

Clean air/countryside

Nope

Nope

Nope

Helmet & glasses all year round, polar buff on my head in the winter

Cycling - I tried a normal buff around my mouth and nose to keep them warm but couldn't breath properly
    Other - I wear a dust mask when cutting wood. It's not great, it makes my glasses steam up

Nope

To an extent

Jacket & rucksack with reflective strips, LED light on the rucksack

Driver awareness/understanding of cyclists & lack of refresher training for drivers & reluctance of police to apply minor road laws
    Lack of training for road cyclists (judging by some of the suicidal behaviour I see on sportives)

No

- - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Scotland, Edinburgh (the real Dunedin)

British

Mental age, or real age? (36)

Legal. Kinda sorta.

Most of the last 20 years

45 mins- 1 hr

Suburban - Clean air/countryside - Urban (you'd have to see a map to understand that!!)

Not in this city

Not outdoors, no.

Yes, but very rare and they usually look as though they are suffering from oxygen depravation.

Helmet & glasses all year round, ear warmers in winter, buff round neck below about -5.

What's a mouth guard? (i.e. probably not. I've worn a cycling mask once. Tells you everything you need to know).

No, but I do listen to the radio.

Those little earbud headphones.

Yes

Yellow Gilet. Reflective tabs on my courier bag and my overshoes.
    Flame thrower front and rear lights that I adapted from a Martian ray gun.

Cars and HGV's, being hit whilst being overtaken.

No

I can't envisage any device which will not employ the same basic strategy of a lightly sealed mask with some form of high surface area adorptive material, probably activated carbon, as a filter. I see no way to reconcile the airflow requirements of an athlete and the requirement for the air to first pass through a filter.

But then I'm not a designer, and that's your challenge, isn't it?

Good luck!![/u][/i]
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    they usually look as though they are suffering from oxygen depravation.

Isn't that what did for Michael Hutchence? Pretty tricky to manage it on a bike I would have thought.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • 1) What Country/City do you live in?
    London, UK

Mixed European, British passport.

I'm 43

Emergency Services

15 years

45-60 minutes.

Suburban to city centre.

No

No, I've always been lead to believe that it's actually worse inside a car than outside.

I used to see people wearing filter masks all the time. They seem less popular now.

Helmet, with a buff underneath, sunglasses or yellow lensed glasses depending on the light. Another buff over my face if it's really cold.

No (I assume you don't mean a gumshield - I used to wear one of those when I played rugby)

No, I like to hear the traffic.

N/A

Well yes, but good road positioning is as important as bright clothing.

Lights front and rear in the dark. Reflective logo on courier bag, various other reflective bits on clothing.

Not as many as when driving a car.

Yes, lots. I work with breathing apparatus. Nothing cycle specific though.
  • 1) What Country/City do you live in? Dublin-Ireland

2) What Nationality are you? Irish
    3) What age group are you from? 36&1/2
    4) What is your occupation? Business Analyst?

5) How long have you bicycle commuted for?19years

6) How long do you ride for at any one time when commuting? 7miles 1/2hour

7) How would you describe the environments you commute through? (e.g. clean air/countryside or dusty roads/countryside or clean air/city or City smog). City Smog

8 ) Does exposure to 'particle' air pollution concern you? (e.g. road dust etc.)a little

9) Does exposure to 'vapours/gases concern you? (e.g. Carbon Monoxide) a little
    10) Have you seen anyone wearing a PPE product to aid respiratory protection when bicycle commuting? Yes

Helmet
    12) Have you ever worn a mouth guard (For cycling or other), what was your reason for doing so? and how did it make you feel? (e.g. uncomfortable, protected) No
    13) Do you listen to music when bicycle commuting? Rarely and only in one ear!
    14) If so, what sort of headphones/method do you use for sound transfer? In ear
    16) Are you concerned with your visibility when bicycle commuting? No I wear hi viz and lights
    17) If any, what products do you wear to aid visibility? (e.g. reflective/ florescent clothing or products). see above

18 ) What are your concerns and anxieties when bicycle commuting? (e.g. visibility, air pollution, accidents with cars etc.) Accidents with cars and poor road conditions

19) Are you familiar with any other type of PPE product for respiratory protection?No

• simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707

Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK.

British.

40s.

Administrator.

4 years.

40 mins.

Preferred (longer) route: rural countryside B-class and u/c roads. Shorter route: mix of arterial urban roads (30/40mph limit) and busy A-road (60mph limit).

No.

No, though I don't like the thought of it or the experience.

No.

Cycle helmet always. Eyewear in precipitation or on insect-laden summer evenings. NZ-made bandana over my ears on sub-zero mornings.

No. I might consider one if I rode daily in gridlocked city streets.

No, partly for safety and partly because sound is part of the enjoyment when riding on the rural lanes.

n/a.

Yes. I've learnt that standing out from your surroundings is a good idea. Drivers need all the help they can get.

After being told I blended in with the hedge on the 60mph A-road I swapped my previous s/sleeve jerseys in dark shades for cycling jerseys in white or bright colours. Otherwise bright blue jacket. 2" strip of hi-viz on rucksack. Tried hi-viz ankle bands but concluded that any hi-viz items are only really valuable above the waist, the higher the better.

Overtaking drivers squeezing past and the accompanying risk of being knocked off. The rest are just normal considerations.

19) Are you familiar with any other type of PPE product for respiratory protection?[/b]

No.

Yesterday I passed a cyclist wearing a dark brown coat. He blended in beautifully with the leafless roadside hedge beside, a brilliant example of a cyclist not being immediately obvious to road users behind.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • 1) What Country/City do you live in?
    Sheffield, England

British

Flogging climbing kit

5 years

80 minutes tops

7) How would you describe the environments you commute through?
    Peak district with a few miles of Sheffield's awful roads on either end

No

Yes

Not round here

11) What products do you wear on your head/face/mouth when bicycle commuting? Helmet, sunglasses and maybe a buff

No

No

No

17) If any, what products do you wear to aid visibility? (e.g. reflective/ florescent clothing or products). Hi vis vest

Pretty much just cars

No

• rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244

London

British

40-50

IT Contractor

15 Years

Door to door commute = 30 min, up to an hour if I'm in the mood

City roads, which are mostly ok

No

Only when close to busses/HGVs

Yes

Helmet
    Buff in winter (as headband when it's really cold)

Worn one when cycling.
    Felt like slow asphixiation, and on hot days, with sweat it felt like I was drowning too.

No

N/A

Always

Hi-viz clothing. Reflectors on gloves, jacket, trousers, bag and shoes. Two rear lights on bike, plus one on bag. Two front lights on bike, plus head torch on helmet.

Being hit by motor vehicles.
    Not being given enough space by motor vehicles.
    Inattention and lack of awareness of drivers of motor vehicles
    Potholes

No
  • Erika
    Erika Posts: 9
    Amazing! thanks soo much for all of your replies!! Really appreciate all of the feedback!