Do I go down the white components route?

tombarton
tombarton Posts: 132
edited March 2010 in MTB general
Hi
I am getting this bike in the next few days

4424624141_2aff87a47c.jpg

and I i am going to change to a wider bar and swap out the pedals. I am also thinking of changing the saddle. Question is: Do i go for white parts? If you could give me some opinions that would be great. And if anyone is good at photoshop could you make me a mock-up if you feel like it? Cheers
Tom

Comments

• mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    IMO, no. Looks nice as it is, and to be honest not much would fit to that frame/color scheme - sorry. I'd leave it as it is and just replace stuff as it breaks. :)
  • Nahhh... looks pretty good as it is tbh!
  • tombarton
    really? i want it to really stand out and i just love white components just can't decide. Stealth look v bling? haha would you change the saddle? Anybody got any experience with white saddles? lot of cleaning needed?
  • phoebian
    phoebian Posts: 497
    Have a look at the 09 FSR stumpy. Very nice.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Regarding the saddle.

My mate has a white and green DMR Void saddle and it is still very white even though it has been absolutely covered in Glentress mud :lol:

You should be fine with it being white but personally I rpefer coloured components to white components
  • tombarton
    i'm really tempted. White bars, white saddle, white pedals and some black grips!
  • peter413
    tombarton wrote:
    i'm really tempted. White bars, white saddle, white pedals and some black grips!

You'd NEED some white Fox Floats to go with the other white stuff :wink:
  • tombarton
    tell me about it! been looking everywhere for some 36's in budget!
  • peter413
    You can't even get vans in budget?
  • tombarton
    can't find any. got max 250 to spend.
  • peter413
    Right...... Yeah...

You would probably struggle to get some good 32's for that never mind 36's
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you are making all these changes, then you may have the wrong bike.

250 will barely get you a Recon Maxle. Why not just use what is on there?
  • tombarton
    i'm not making a lot of changes! only the wider bars have any effect on the bike, the rest is just for aesthetics! and the fork is not gonna happen anytime soon, it's just the obvious upgrade when i have the cash. The SX frame is the same whether you get the one or the two. just the components package is different so whats the problem with upgrading it?
  • supersonic
    Bars, pedals, grips, saddle, then mentioned forks - it did sound like a lot!

But if you plan to keep the fork (now that you have said), then the changes you are making sound ok.

But I would ride it for a bit how it is so you can judge what you want. It maybe that some of these parts work really well. Pedals and saddle (and grips) WILL feel different!
  • tombarton
    ye i understand what you mean. the main reason i was gona change all this stuff was i really like wide bars and the one on it is way too narrow so thats getting changes asap. i fancied it in white just to make the bike look a little different and i felt that with white bars id need to change the rest to match. i also dont really like the brown bits!
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Christ that's a unfeasably tidy looking example given it's age and the type of bike it is. It's even got the original Spesh Pedals that everyone bins.

Anyway I digress. I voted no.

[GOK WHAN]

1) If you're purely picking white for 'a bit of bling' it wont work with your muted green / black colured SX. If you had the amazing looking White / Orange one then yes, or even the red / black one. So looks wise it wont work.

2) IMHO White is SECONDS away from being the next purple. IMHO it only worked as such an amazing colour because of the shock factor, I'm betting by the end of summer it's going to look like yesterdays news.

[/GOK WHAN]

If you're going to upgrade anything I'd do it for the perforamance value rather than the colour.

P.S. Loving the bike, I always find my finger hovvering over the bid button on ebay when I see that type of SX
  • tombarton
    thanks a lot. Hmmm seems a lot of you are against the white parts...i thought it would look smart but i'm starting to think a bit more.

btw just out of curiousity how much would you have paid for this bike? Just wondering whether i'm getting a good deal or not.
  • peter413
    tombarton wrote:
    thanks a lot. Hmmm seems a lot of you are against the white parts...i thought it would look smart but i'm starting to think a bit more.

btw just out of curiousity how much would you have paid for this bike? Just wondering whether i'm getting a good deal or not.

I wouldn't pay anything until the zokes are non existant :lol:
  • supersonic
    Buy what works, not what looks good.

Because when you are on the trails... no fukcker gives a sh1t!

;-)
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    What he said ^^^^ I personally think white, although it looks good and is in fashion now will look pants in a few years
  • largephil
    largephil Posts: 358
    I would not buy a performance upgrade that doesnt look good... whats the point when you can buy a performance upgrade that both works better and looks great too. If you are upgrading components then deffo go for something thats going to bling up your bike. Why not?
  • supersonic
    If it works well, then no problem with it looking good!

But I always put performance first. Always.