Bike Fit :

The Running Man
The Running Man Posts: 574
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Just had a couple of hours with one of the guys at TF in Bath doing a bike fit for me on the Roubaix.

Just as a learning exercise it was fascinating.

The physical examination prior to even getting near the bike was pretty exhaustive. Purely by accident / instinct I'm close to the optimum position that suits my body though the saddle's gone up by 0.6cm as I was bouncing a little at the bottom of the pedal stroke, and because my arches collapse a little, again at the bottom of the pedal stroke, I'm trying to rectify it with some re-inforced inserts.

The plate in my spine prevents me getting into an extreme aero tuck for any length of time (hence my sportive / audax plans this year), and if these subtle changes to my position and foot support work they suggested perhaps flipping my stem but on the principle of changing one thing at a time we'll save that for later.

My knee angle is now closer to the theoretical 30 degrees ideal and though my reach has changed very slightly as a result of raising the saddle having done a couple of lunchtime miles I do already feel more compact.

I've got a 100k Audax on Sunday so that'll be a better test of whether it's had any real effect.
Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
Specialized Rockhopper

Comments

• Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Good move, I hope it works out. I strongly believe that a proper professional fit is the best bike upgrade you could do! :) (are you reading this DDD?)

Matter of interest, why TF and not John's? From my very limited experience John's is by far the superior shop.
  • It was part of the deal when I bought the Roubaix to be honest Roastie : they're just going through the Specialized Bike Fit accreditation programme so I'mkind of a guineau pig :)

And I've known the guys at TF for a long time and trust them with my riding implicitly and they've never let me down which is as good a reason as any :)

The detail of the physical assessment was incredibly detailed : from the angles of my straight leg raise, knee bend, to hip flexion, and then cleat positioning, saddle fore and aft positioning, the angle of my leg extension etc ... fascinating and well worth the time.
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Fair enough - if the Spesh BG fit system is good enough for Spartacus...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I've been meaning to get myself along to Stonehenge cycles in Salisbury at somepoint, perhaps now that i'm sporting yet more set up related injuries I should bite the bullet.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.