carbon stem/seatpost on old alu mtb

thrope
thrope Posts: 69
edited March 2010 in The workshop
Hello,

I've been commuting for a couple of years on my old ('94 vintage) cannondale m500 which I've taken good care of and still seems as good as new.

I find it very responsive and good for bashing up and down curbs without any problem, carrying a lot of gear etc.

A while ago I bought a beat up old Raleigh pro race road bike from these forums - but felt like I got a bit of a raw deal because it was in pretty poor condition, not really as described. Anyway I cleaned it up and it seems ok apart from the brakes being a bit scary. I haven't ridden it much though since without a rack I thought it wasn't any good for commuting (also thought road wheels weren't up to the bumpy streets).

Anyway I have been changing the bb on my cannondale - the last moving part that hasn't been serviced/changed - and while I've been waiting for the new one to arrive I've been commuting on the raleigh. The main thing is I'm amazed how much more comfortable the ride is - even with 120psi 23's vs 60psi 1.75 (travel contacts) on the mountain bike. It's a lot smoother and I don't feel every bump/crease in the road like I do with the mtb. (it has been really bad since this icey winter - all the roads in manchester are completely f**ked)

So I guess it is down to the cannondale being aluminium - but I have to say I was really surprised at the difference... I would like to keep it for wet weather commuting etc. but I'm not sure I can go back to the bumpy ness...

Finally the question: is there anything I can do to make the ride smoother? I heard carbon seatpost/stem might provide some cushioning and make things smoother - is this likely to be noticeable. How much can I get reasnobly budget versions for? How long to they last for (don't want to spend alot of money for something that will only last a few thousand miles - don't want to spend a lot of money at all really).

Thanks!

Comments

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Carbon seatpost: what size is your current seatpost? A replacement would need to be the exact same size (measured to 0.1mm) and on an old frame you may have a non-standard size. Carbon posts are less available in non-standard sizes than alloy ones.

FWIW, the size may be stamped on the seatpost, or you'll have to get some digital or vernier calipers to measure it correctly.
  • thrope
    Hi,

Thanks... I don't think the frame is that old to be really nonstandard - the only trouble I've had in the past is with the 1" steerer which seems to have been replaced these days with 1 1/8".

Anyway I don't have any calipers so the best I could do was measuring the circumfrence with a piece of dental floss - which came to 86mm or a diameter of 27.3mm which is perhaps close enough to 27.2 which seems to be a standard size so I suspect its that.

I can always take it into a shop though to confirm before I order anything. I was more interested in finding out if it would be likely to make much difference to the ride (same with the stem). Also any cheaper options - I'm not concerned with weight, just taking some of the harshness out of the aluminium frame.

The cheapest I can find is something like this:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=38628

Is it likely to be a worthwhile upgrade? Would it be long lasting or need replacing in less than a few years?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd double check that size - 27.0 and 26.8 was very common too. I wouldn't trust dental floss to measure that accurately lol.

That post is pretty heavy for carbon - for a few extra quid have a look at this:

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=0&c=47&p=797&

I use one, top quality.
  • thrope
    OK point taken about the size - I will try to find out for sure thanks.

For the length - do you know how much you need to leave in the frame usually? At the moment I have about 21cm showing on my current one - so I'm worried a 30cm post will only have 9cm in the tube - is that enough or would I need a longer one?

Cheers
  • thrope
    Just found this... according to Sheldon all cannondales are 27.2:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/seatpost-sizes.html

Still be keen to hear if its likely to improve the quality of the ride enough to justify the expense.

Also the relative merits of seatpost vs stem
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Can't say I really noticed any difference when I went from the stock aluminium unit on my roadie to a FSA carbon jobbie (I changed to reduce the setback and PlanetX had them on offer). Looks snazzy though!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    thrope wrote:
    OK point taken about the size - I will try to find out for sure thanks.

For the length - do you know how much you need to leave in the frame usually? At the moment I have about 21cm showing on my current one - so I'm worried a 30cm post will only have 9cm in the tube - is that enough or would I need a longer one?

Cheers

They do a 350mm too, which is the one I'd get.