Sram vs Shimano

peter413
peter413 Posts: 5,120
edited March 2010 in MTB general
I personally prefer sram even though I run some shimano kit.

I only run that because that is what came with the bike and am slowly upgrading to sram stuff. Only thing I would choose shimano over sram is front mechs.

Overall definatly prefer sram kit.

What about you guys

Comments

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    i find the double pull on the read mech of SRAm make it more reliable in mud and less prone to cable stretch issues.

So just on that SRAM win for me :)
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    I am a rapid rise fanboi so Shimano for me
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    i have no preference. Whichever comes on the bike.

My last few have all been SRAM though.
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    Sram for rear mech and shifters and chain, shimano for everything else
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Here we go again!

;-)
  • peter413
    What is your favourite then sonic
  • supersonic
    A mix. I prefer Shimano shifters and mechs, but quite like some of the cheaper SRAM cassettes and definitely SRAM chains.
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Needs more options for me....

I run a mixture of Shimano, Raceface and SRAM...........
    Craig Rogers
  • peter413
    x-isle wrote:
    Needs more options for me....

I run a mixture of Shimano, Raceface and SRAM...........

But out of shimano and sram which do you prefer.

If I was going to be that picky then I would have to put campy into the mix as well
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Still a difficult one.

I always run a SRAM Chain and Rear Casette and never a Shimano, but it would take a lot to get me away from a Shadow mech......
    Craig Rogers
  • peter413
    x-isle wrote:
    Still a difficult one.

I always run a SRAM Chain and Rear Casette and never a Shimano, but it would take a lot to get me away from a Shadow mech......

How about a shadow sram rear mech :wink:
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    Sram for rear mech, shifters, chain and cassette, shimano for front mech and cranks. Sram overall
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    i have a sram chain and shiano everything else
  • dogboy73
    dogboy73 Posts: 440
    Which is cheapest? I don't think you can beat Shimano Deore for value. Decent enough kit as well. But I'd like to get an SRAM rear mech/shifter & chain for my rebuild based on what I've heard from people that have used both SRAM & Shimano.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    as long as it works right, i really dont care.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    XT and LX on my older Stumpy and all Shimano on the Rockhopper, mostly SRAM (with Shimano SLX crank and LX front mech) on the 2007 Stumpy - all work absolutely fine and have done for 1000s of miles.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    sram rear mech and shifters

shimano cranks, cassette and front mech

kmc chains though.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    i don't like sram shifters, I reckon shimano ones are a lot nicer to use and I'm prepared to put the work in to keep them shifting nice and light. That limits me to a shimano rear mech, and it would be odd not to have a matching front mech really. I have an SRAM chain for the powerlink, and for the cassette I'll take whatever comes out best on weight/cost. The chainset, I have shimano because I've never had anything else, know most new stuff I buy will work with it, and frankly can't be arsed to change. and shimano stuff looks nicer!
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    I've just bought a SRAM X7 front mech but looking at the comments above I've made a mistake. Can any of the people who say they prefer Shimano recommend a mid-price reliable front derailleur (top pull). Cheers.

a serious case of small cogs
  • supersonic
    Can't go wrong with deore or SLX.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    theres nothing wrong with sram front mchs, i just prefer shimano as they seem cheaper and lighter, i particularly like the new model deore front mech, looks very cool (and works just as well as any other mech i have ever tried, i mean, literlly just as good!)
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Shimano shifter,mechs,cranks. SRAM (or KMC) chains. Not tried the cassettes - i'll stick to Deore, last forever!
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    supersonic wrote:
    Here we go again!

;-)

Yup, just "another SRAM vs. Shimano" Thread. Perhaps if the OP did a "Search" he would have found the dozens of "SRAM v.s Shimano" or "Shimano vs. SRAM" Threads that already exist. :roll:

I shall not vote as I have good Shimano and SRAM kit on my bikes and have no complaint with either brand..
  • peter413
    supersonic wrote:
    Here we go again!

;-)

Yup, just "another SRAM vs. Shimano" Thread. Perhaps if the OP did a "Search" he would have found the dozens of "SRAM v.s Shimano" or "Shimano vs. SRAM" Threads that already exist. :roll:

I shall not vote as I have good Shimano and SRAM kit on my bikes and have no complaint with either brand..

Actually I did do a search but could't find anything
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    Full SRAM X0 here.
    Also, recently changed my XC bike from XT to full X9.

I find the shifting performance of SRAM stuff night and day better than Shimano. Even full XTR feels sloppy in comparison.
  • jpstar
    jpstar Posts: 561
    I definitely prefer the shifter feel of SRAM to Shimano, compared to my mates bike. Just a lot more solid and you definitely know that you've changed gear.
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    I would have said Shimano, as that is what I have used for a couple of years, but the SRAM XO rear mech and X9 shifters on my new stead are amazing. Shifting is very positive and accurate and has worked perfectly, no matter what the conditions are like.

To be fair, both manufacturers have very good products and it is pretty much personal preference as to the operation of the gears that sway opinions.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    FSR_XC wrote:
    To be fair, both manufacturers have very good products and it is pretty much personal preference as to the operation of the gears that sway opinions.

+1 on that..
  • Sram is just cooler i think.

And i dont think performance is actually that much different.
    My Bikes And Me
    A bicycle can't stand alone; it is two tired.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited March 2010
    I like how SRAM shifts, I think Shimano is probably actually better though but it doesn't feel as good in my hands. Shimano's cranks seem like the best option by miles though.
    peter413 wrote:
    I only run that because that is what came with the bike and am slowly upgrading to sram stuff. Only thing I would choose shimano over sram is front mechs.

Did you not choose the Pro bars yourself? Pro is Shimano ;)
    Uncompromising extremist