I wiped out this morning - and it's on helmet cam

karmacycle
karmacycle Posts: 14
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
I crashed on the Bayswater Road in London this morning - I got away with minor grazes because somehow I managed to fall on to the pavement, not the road. I think it was my chain that's to blame - it somehow came loose as I was picking up speed and I was peddling on air, and completely lost it. There's a lesson for me to be sure - always have a well-maintained chain! Oh, and try to fall on to the pavement, not the road. If you can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoNa3919Vn4

Comments

• Allez Mark
    Allez Mark Posts: 364
    Unlucky. At least you're ok.
    Was that this morning or 1/12/2008? :)
    If it was this morning. How did you get the vid uploaded so quick? Mine normally take 24 hrs.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Looks like you covered some distance on the pavement before you went down, was that the case! Did you nearly recover but wipe out eventually?
  • :lol::lol::lol:

Sorry, I know I shouldn't laugh, it happens to us all.

But still :lol::lol::lol:

Glad you're ok though.

:lol:
  • essex-commuter
    I know, I laughed as well...and felt really guilty doing it. Then I laughed a bit more.

Sorry, as a fellow cyclist I know I shouldn't. :oops: ( :D )

Glad you're OK, well the quick glimpse of your knee looked fine! :wink:
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Whoa. Good job you didn't headbutt the lamppost.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • essex-commuter
    JonGinge wrote:
    Whoa. Good job you didn't headbutt the lamppost.

I laughed at that comment too, I don't know what's wrong with me today! I must have the :evil: in me.
  • hotnajers
    hotnajers Posts: 61
    Which head cam is it it seems pretty good with clear sound
  • Didn't expect so many comments - thanks everyone. I won't take the laughing personally - I thought it was pretty funny too, after I'd got over the shock of not being on the road any more!

In answer to the question about when - it was this morning (as in 11th March 2010) - for some reason my little camera has a date stamp that's two years out of date.

I just uploaded the whole file to my pc, then whacked it into Moviemaker which produces clips already, and stitched a couple together. It only took about a half hour of work ...
  • sorry - forgot to say - yes, lucky I didn't hit the lamp post - and also luckcy there wasn't a railing on there too!

My camera is a no-brand Chinese import - I've been meaning to get a picture up of it on my blog, so as soon as I do that I'll get it on these boards. It's about the size of a thumb and does have very good sound and pix. A 45 min journey uses about 2.5 gb so there's some good quality in there.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    If you'd had more presence of mind you could have grabbed the lamppost to keep yourself upright :wink:
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    suzyb wrote:
    If you'd had more presence of mind you could have grabbed the lamppost to keep yourself upright :wink:

yes, go back and do it again please but this time grab the post!

Glad to hear you are okay.
    FCN = 4
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

yes, go back and do it again please but this time grab the post!
    That'll be the Director's Cut coming to a YouTube near you soon...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides