AM I

MARKIE METAL HIP
MARKIE METAL HIP Posts: 58
edited March 2010 in The bottom bracket
Too fat for a road bike? im 6ft 2 and a bit and 17st 9 , its just everytime i get off the seat and pedal uphill, the bikes front end is creaking like mad, just wondering if my poundage has actually knackered the front fork seals or bearings or wotever we call them? theres black dust on top of the forks like.

any ideas?

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    theres black dust on top of the forks like.

That's brake dust like
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • HungryCol
    HungryCol Posts: 532
    Nah, it's probably the screw pin things in your chainset or just the chain. Likely nowt to worry about just get it serviced regularly and you should be fine. I'm 6'1" and about 15.5st and get a little some creaking when I'm honking on the pedals. Little oil normally works ok for it.
    Every winner has scars.
  • its like oily dust around the fork/frame seal, im crushing something (like) maybe the more i get out the more ill lighten and the less ill creak !
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    Does your bike have carbon forks? If it does it may be worth getting a shop to look at the forks and headset.
  • Is the noise a creak or a click? Is it consistent or inconsistent?

I had a consistent/repetitive creaking noise coming from the front end of my bike which turned out to be a sheared bolt on the stem faceplate.

I found this website quite helpful on occasion.

http://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/keepitquiet.html
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    You aren't too heavy but there may be something wrong with your bike. Work out whether it happens when you're pedalling hard or not (which will tell you whether it's a drivetrain problem or not), and take it to a bike shop. The bearing between the forks and frame is called a headset, and it may have been poorly adjusted or never maintained.
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    I was 18 stone at one time and still rode a road bike, you'll be fine.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    I've been up to 15 1\2 stone on my road bike without any odd noises, but I rarely honk.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    its like oily dust around the fork/frame seal, im crushing something (like) maybe the more i get out the more ill lighten and the less ill creak !

Reddds right its from the brakes and the sh1t you pick up from the road as you go along. No idea about the creaking though.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Have you checked your hubs are done up tight enough? Could the 'creaking' be wheel rub?
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • done 200 miles so far this year and have dropped 10lbs and now down to a majestic 18st 5
    now if i can only drop the wine intake (dont ask how much)
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Well i fluxuate between 10 and 10 1/2 stone. Never had a problem.
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330

:roll: :lol:
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Hit puberty yet mate? :wink:
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.