Straightening a wheel

ktaylor
ktaylor Posts: 58
edited March 2010 in The workshop
After a little incident on Monday I needed to slightly straighten up a fulcrum 7 front wheel.

I have done this a hundred times with my mountain bike so launched into it with confidence.

I used something like this to tighten and loosen the relative nipples on the spokes:
ice-toolz-8-groove-spoke-wrench.jpg

However, even on the smallest groove (15E) the nipples quickly rounded off.

In desperation I used pliers and the nipples melted like butter. One nipple even partially disintegrated.

Is straightening a racing wheel more complicated that adjusting the appropriate nipples or am I using the wrong tool for the job?

Can I buy exact replacemnt nipples for the wheel somewhere?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like incorrect spoke key size.

have you got the tools that came with the wheels?

IIRC some fulcrum wheels need a nipple insert and a magnet for getting the nipples to the correct place in the rim.

if you dont have them and it is one of those rims. LBS time.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ktaylor
    ktaylor Posts: 58
    I assumed nipple size would be standard.

No tools came with the wheels. I bought them as part of a complete bike.

Interesting about the magnet. I can see how the "deep" rims might need something like that.

All helps me be better prepared for a trip to the LBS and not getting indignant when they try to sell me additional stuff.

Cheers.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Park makes some good spoke wrenches that don't round off the nipples. http://www.parktool.com/products/category.asp?cat=16 You just need to find the right size. The 4-sided wrench is especially good for soft alu nipples. Other companies make quality wrenches as well but can't think of the names at the moment. Most LBS's should be able to get them for you.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Your LBS will also have some cheaper spoke keys. I've got something like one of these that I'm sure cost me less that £2. Not good if you're building wheels from scratch but fine for tightening an errant spoke.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Similar to Rob, I've got one of these (the picture isn't right, it is red, as the description states). It's got 4 sides, which as crankycrank pointed out, is significantly better than 3 sides. I got it because this style of spoke key was recommended by the instructor on a wheelbuilding course I went on, even though that LBS didn't sell them. It also is very easy to fit into a saddlebag and very light, if you're worried about saving grams.