Why the love for Middleburn cranks?

2»

Comments

• Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    edited April 2010
    I hope you don't mind me reviving this thread...

I'm totally with you on the Middleburn stuff, guys.

Since I moved from XTR to a Middleburn Duo 27/42 square taper setup, I've noticed that the chainrings move all over the place, so much that I had to widen the front mech cage. Also my average speed dropped by 2mph as a result of the flex, and the added weight is holding me back on climbs.
    In the old good times I used to wait for my mates on the top of every hill, but as they all moved to Hollowtech II cranks I don't stand a chance any more, despite riding 6000+ miles a year and having over 15 years of cycling accumulated in my legs.

From now on I'm going to spend less time on the bike and more time on forums, before buying anything.

Joke, obviously :lol:
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    edited April 2010
    Can't believe anyone has to hand comparative weight of cranks and bottom brackets! Geeky or what.
    I ride on a RS3 with UN52 B/B. Good range and long lasting rings and reasonable B/B life and yes we all wish the UN71 would come back.
    Is stffness and weight the be all and end all? I've just changed to a EN50 31.8mm riser and it's doing my arms and shoulders in it's so sodding stiff!
    Each their own I say.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    plugp7 wrote:
    Can't believe anyone has to hand comparative weight of cranks and bottom brackets! Geeky or what.

Weightweenies- where geeks go to geek out :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    You's do know that middleburn do an intergrated crank now RS8 X-Type, what with this comparing to isis etc? I'm tempted for my double set up.
    middleburn_rs8_xtype.jpg
  • Northwind
    That wasn't available when the thread started ;) Still very little info out there on them, but 18 bikes weighed a set and they're about 4 grams lighter than XT, but miles more expensive and don't come with a BB (best price I can find online seems to be £175 for just the crank and spider! Though £200 with rings has been quoted by some places which is a lot better) So they lose one of the things that people liked most about them basically, and still don't seem to have any advantage over cheaper Shimano options. It doesn't seem much like progress.

They would on the other hand look amazing on my Soul, I guess if they were competitive with my XTR I'd consider it but they aren't are they?

I'm sure lots of people who previously defended Middleburn because ST or Isis are better than external BBs will still line up to buy them ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Depends on rings used and configuration. cranks/spider + bb should be around 700g.
    4411405322_a34490da17_o.jpg
  • Northwind
    edited April 2010
    Yup, that was with Middleburn's own slickshift rings IIRC which aren't particularily light. But of course the same does go for the XT.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    ANd I still think the arms are flimsy lol.
  • Barteos wrote:

Since I moved from XTR to a Middleburn Duo 27/42 square taper setup, I've noticed that the chainrings move all over the place, so much that I had to widen the front mech cage. Also my average speed dropped by 2mph as a result of the flex, and the added weight is holding me back on climbs.
    In the old good times I used to wait for my mates on the top of every hill, but as they all moved to Hollowtech II cranks I don't stand a chance any more, despite riding 6000+ miles a year and having over 15 years of cycling accumulated in my legs.

From now on I'm going to spend less time on the bike and more time on forums, before buying anything.

Maybe your square taper BB is junk?

You are going to have to be a major Clydesdale with poor pedalling technique to flex a middleburn crank and you are pretty unlikely to flex a spindle, so maybe they have sh1t bearings or the cranks aren't mounted on the axles well,. or your frame flexes.
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    Barteos wrote:

Maybe your square taper BB is junk?

You are going to have to be a major Clydesdale with poor pedalling technique to flex a middleburn crank and you are pretty unlikely to flex a spindle, so maybe they have sh1t bearings or the cranks aren't mounted on the axles well,. or your frame flexes.

I was just sarcastic about the "issues" of flex and weight, Andrew. Loving my cranks :)
  • Barteos wrote:
    Barteos wrote:

I thought the sarcastic bit was on spending time on the forums...