some might think it's a backward step...

NGale
NGale Posts: 1,866
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
but i have gone back to flat pedals!

This is for a few reasons, 1) I keep falling off not being able to unclip quickly enough, and to be honest I'm fed up of the constant brusing. 2) my SPD decided to eat my shoe! Not quite as bad as it sounds, but getting off my bike early this morning I found myself with one shoe less and it still stuck on the pedal, much swearing and cursing started and 20 minutes later with the aid of a screwdriver and a hammer I managed to get my shoe off the pedal. Pedal is bust and shoe is a bit mangled (just as well they were the 10 quid Lidl ones)

anyway I have gone back to flats for the time being (until I can afford some speedplays) and actually it's quite nice, my foot positioning on the pedals can only be discribed as 'ape like' i.e on the arches of my feet, but it feels strangly normal and familar after a year on clips.

I am unashamed :lol:
Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men

Comments

• amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    You might need to do your shoes up tighter, theres no way you should be able to get your foot out of the shoe without the cleat disengaging. If you shoes aren't tight enough it makes clipping out very difficult.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Those lidl shoes are very soft 'multi-purpose' ones that just happen to have cleat holes. It's not that surprising you'd be able to free your foot from them.

I had a similar issue with lidl shoes - the cleat bolt became loose so the cleat twisted when I tried to unclip - over I went.
  • NGale
    pastryboy wrote:
    Those lidl shoes are very soft 'multi-purpose' ones that just happen to have cleat holes. It's not that surprising you'd be able to free your foot from them.

I had a similar issue with lidl shoes - the cleat bolt became loose so the cleat twisted when I tried to unclip - over I went.

once I get some speedplays I will be using only my dHBs. as with what happened with your lidl shoes was what happened with mine, I was just lucky it was my right foot that got stuck as I unclip first with the left.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Never had any issues like above with the Lidl/Aldi shoes.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Tried spds which came with the Genesis but I got a pain in my right knee on rides over about 10 miles how ever much I adjusted them so I switched to flats and 5/10 Freerunners which have flat grippy soles.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    NGale wrote:
    ...i have gone back to flat pedals!

... and actually it's quite nice, my foot positioning on the pedals can only be discribed as 'ape like' i.e on the arches of my feet, but it feels strangly normal and familar after a year on clips. ...

Have you tried using toe-clips? It takes a little practice to get the hang of flipping them up & sliding your foot in but once mastered the skill is there for life (like riding a bike..:-) ).
    I'm sure they're not as secure as clipless, but they'll keep your foot in the right place, let you pedal better than flats and you can whip your foot out in no time... You don't need to cinch them down unless you're really planning to crank it.
    Oh- and you don't need special shoes... pretty much anything with a firm sole will do.

Cheers,
    W.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Wot WG said, although I took the straps off mine because I couldn't get used to them.
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    I have flats with straps on my hack bike (the one I use for shopping, school run etc) on the basis that I don't want to have to wear SPD shoes everywhere. But tbh riding clipped feels so much more natural and safer and unclipping is so automatic that I'm just about to put SPDs (or maybe some of the dual sided ones) even on the hack. ...
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • wgwarburton
    I have flats with straps on my hack bike (the one I use for shopping, school run etc) on the basis that I don't want to have to wear SPD shoes everywhere. But tbh riding clipped feels so much more natural and safer and unclipping is so automatic that I'm just about to put SPDs (or maybe some of the dual sided ones) even on the hack. ...

Yes... but NGale specifically said that she's not getting on with hers... that she's fed up with constant bruising as a result of not being able to unclip quickly. Seems like her circumstances are different!

Cheers,
    W.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    NGale wrote:
    but i have gone back to flat pedals!

This is for a few reasons, 1) I keep falling off not being able to unclip quickly enough, and to be honest I'm fed up of the constant brusing. 2) my SPD decided to eat my shoe! Not quite as bad as it sounds, but getting off my bike early this morning I found myself with one shoe less and it still stuck on the pedal, much swearing and cursing started and 20 minutes later with the aid of a screwdriver and a hammer I managed to get my shoe off the pedal. Pedal is bust and shoe is a bit mangled (just as well they were the 10 quid Lidl ones)

anyway I have gone back to flats for the time being (until I can afford some speedplays) and actually it's quite nice, my foot positioning on the pedals can only be discribed as 'ape like' i.e on the arches of my feet, but it feels strangly normal and familar after a year on clips.

I am unashamed :lol:

I use SPD's wound as loose as they will go. I don't pull up much since i'm a flats by nature rider any way.

what flats? most road flats aren't great, in terms of gripping the shoe.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I used two sided pedals with SPDs myself. You get the best of both worlds. The only issue is getting the right side when setting off :)

Personlly I'd recommend these for any commuter, you can clip in when on open stretches and run on the flat side when in traffic
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I tried toe clips, and my god I hate them. Hate hate hate. I could not get the hang of them.

Perhaps I'm just a muppet.

But yeah, NGale, perhaps make sure your SPDs are as loose as they'll go before giving up.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    some might think it's a backward step... and rightly so. :P
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    I've had the lose cleat shoe stays clipped in and I fall off moment :D Once a long time ago.

Shame you've been having so many unable to unclip moments but as others have implied or suggested. Make sure the bolts holding the cleats in are super tight and loosen the spd's to max.

The difference in energy transmission from cleats to flats is quite noticeable and I for one would hope you get back into them.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Used toe clips/ straps for 20 years, first ride with cleats yesterday and found they were really easy to clip in and out of; much easier than the straps but then I do tend to wear them tight.
  • emdeef
    emdeef Posts: 98
    I looked at going clipless a couple of years ago but could not find shoes that were comfortable. My feet are wide at the toes and very narrow at the heel, so anything which fitted at the front was too loose at the back. So I use toe clips. I have some mini plastic ones which I found in Halfords on the commuter mtb and they are OK.

Anybody suggest any shoes which I could try?
  • blinddrew
    blinddrew Posts: 317
    But yeah, NGale, perhaps make sure your SPDs are as loose as they'll go before giving up.

My tuppence worth is that sometimes the problem can be having the pedals too loose.
    Bear with me...

When i first tried clipless (many years ago!) i had the pedals set as loose as possible and struggled a couple of times. Tightening up the spring meant that i got much more of a "pop" to the release and actually it was easier to get my foot out.
    Mind you, that seems to work more with look-type pedals than SPDs
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    emdeef wrote:
    I looked at going clipless a couple of years ago but could not find shoes that were comfortable. My feet are wide at the toes and very narrow at the heel, so anything which fitted at the front was too loose at the back. So I use toe clips. I have some mini plastic ones which I found in Halfords on the commuter mtb and they are OK.

Shimano shoes have a wide 'toe box' as they call it.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • emdeef
    emdeef wrote:

Thanks. I will have another look at their shoes. LBS only had a limited selection last time.
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    emdeef wrote:
    emdeef wrote:

Thanks. I will have another look at their shoes. LBS only had a limited selection last time.

I have similar feet and have been using these every day for over a year. Great value for money (£48 ) - although I got them in black :wink:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7610
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • wgwarburton
    ...The difference in energy transmission from cleats to flats is quite noticeable ...em.

I find that I can easily transfer enough energy to exhaust myself without the benefit of clipless pedals!!
    I rode in this morning with only one toeclip- my left pedal bearings failed last night (with astonishingly good fortune, I was already on my way to the bike-recyclers!) and I swapped the pedal last night, but didn't get the toeclip done.
    There were two main things I noticed- a general feeling of insecurity, since my foot wasn't being held in the right place and the inability to push forward on the pedal at the top of the stroke-- Several times I forgot and my foot slid off forwards.
    I only pull up on the pedals when I'm really struggling uphill or away from lights (I've read that's generally the case- "pulling up" is a bit of a myth), apart from that the pedal action is more about rotation than pumping(!).

Cheers,
    W.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    sidi mega shoes.

IIRC there are some with the adjustable heel cup in the mega sizes. That way you can have the wide fit with room in the toe, with a tight heel.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    just put the cips and straps back onto the bike; feet too cold with the SPD shoes, think I might have been sold summer shoes :?
  • emdeef
    R_T_A wrote:
    emdeef wrote:
    emdeef wrote:

I have similar feet and have been using these every day for over a year. Great value for money (£48 ) - although I got them in black :wink:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7610

Thanks! Shimano MP66 look like what I want, and reasonably priced - I will see if I can find them locally to try
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I use these - have done about 60 miles on them since the change - no grip problems and they seem to run very smoothly

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Wellg ... 6648/#more
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Ngale: Horses for courses. If clipless does nothing for you then why bother. Mrs Roastie gets on just fine without clipping in...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    I can barely ride without my SPDs now. My feet were constantly slipping off the folding flats on my Dahon yesterday, to the extent that I think I need to get another set of SPDs, and that was in perfectly dry conditions and appropriate footwear.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    When i test rode a few bikes, they all had toe clips. Could not deal with them so had to get them to change it to flats... aaaaah thats better.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I'm too scared to put my SPDs on my road bike in case I have another clipless moment and damage the bike :wink:

Fortunately it has toe straps though so my foot is kept as far forward as it should be. Although their sideways position means I keep banging my leg on the chain ring.
  • NGale
    Roastie wrote:
    Ngale: Horses for courses. If clipless does nothing for you then why bother. Mrs Roastie gets on just fine without clipping in...

I will be going back to clipless because I have got so used to it, just not for a while until I can afford some speedplays. I have decided my 'everyday' pootling bike will just have flats on them and keep the clipless to the speedier commuter and road bike