Security

alexh1981
alexh1981 Posts: 34
edited March 2010 in MTB general
OK, so fingers crossed i have another bike going in the shed very soon, and they will have to stay there until the new gaarge is finished. But i`m now increasingly worried about security. Dont live in a bad area but its quiet and once in the rear garden its hard for anyone to notice anyone breaking into the shed.

At present i have a coiled soil-nail type affair thats concreted into the floor and the bikes are chained up to that.

if somone breaks in with bolt cutters they are done for, is there anything i can protect the bikes against bolt cutters? preferably without spending a fortune to combat the robbing scrote lickers.

should i invest in anything else? high pitch alarm? I`m open to suggestions that are within the law, so shotguns triggered by trip wires are out ,sadly.

Had one break in a couple of years ago and they got my wifes giant by taking the shed door off its hinges, thankfully my bike was in bits on the dining room table... :lol:

Comments

• ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    Let a cobra live loose in the shed.

What the thieves want is a quick steal. So the more cables, D-locks, floor anchors you have the better. A security light is also a good option.

Also cover any windows with boards or a sheet.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Insurance is cheaper than making the bikes secure.

If someone wants your bikes they are gone.

Some scroat will break into your shed, check out your security setup, wait until you are out and return with the appropriate tools.

So live cobra or insurance.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    insurance....

or shotgun cartridge down the seattube with the qr undone, some sort of firing pin needed though.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Insurance is cheaper than making the bikes secure.

If someone wants your bikes they are gone.

Some scroat will break into your shed, check out your security setup, wait until you are out and return with the appropriate tools.

So live cobra or insurance.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Buy a cheap personal alarm and rig it to the shed door as noise is always a good deterrent
    An unsuspecting thief will set it off and at 130db then noise will get them a moving
    This is the one I've got, it comes with a door mount, it's a UK made, so a good warranty and yea it's LOUD

Clicky
  • jmillen
    jmillen Posts: 627
    You just want something as a detterant, I've got a Kryptonite New York D lock and associated cable.

But as said above, if they want it, they'll take it.

Insurance is great but most companies have rediculous lists of demands you need to meet otherwise you aren't covered. I'm in the process of trying to find bike insurance at the moment for my new purchase...
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • fletch8928
    fletch8928 Posts: 794
    True on what everyone says. If a scrote wants it they will get it.
    I have a decoy bike that sits outside, loosely chained up. My good bikes are tied together with a steel dockyard wire strop, think its around 35mm. A sturdy Squire padlock through the loops and a Dlock for extra toughness.

Bikes are also fully insured as named items.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • DamonC
    DamonC Posts: 263
    Motorbike chains are the best physical defense but as stated if they are prepped they will go.

I had 5 bikes go recently, the only upside is my insurance is new-for-old policy so I got good money for 3 of the older bikes. Another thing to consider.
    Suffering from the light bike fat git syndrome.
  • alexh1981
    alexh1981 Posts: 34
    Ok, general consensus is that you cant stop them, but you can make it difficult.

i`ll go look at the motorcycle chain route and rig up an annoyingly loud shed alarm.

i`ll go check my house insurance details, see if i need to decalre the bikes or have certain security measures in place, last time house insurance were really good- but i did think it would have been ever so easy for someone to fake the process as it was so easy, thus raising the premiums for genuine folk.

Securirty light is in the back garden, but i know they wont attempt a break in at night- it will be in the day, the scrote bags.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    insurance if you can insure the bikes,, not everyone can get it..

have a look at..
    http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/ very very good quality and heavy duty chains.
    http://www.torc-anchors.com/security-chains.php good decent quality heavy duty chains
    http://www.torc-anchors.com/shed-shackle.php ideal for securing bikes in shed.
    http://www.torc-anchors.com/torc-ground-anchor.php one of if not the best ground anchor out there..

a few of these should help protect your bikes.. mix and match.....
  • lugsey2k5
    lugsey2k5 Posts: 960
    another form alarm on the door. i have a high pitch alarm with blue flashing light for added coolness rigged with a proximity switch to the bottom half of by slip door so if bottom is opened without turning off hidden alarm it goes off. hoping it will scare off the ifs due to unwanted attention. i have also added the precaution of getting a police man to live next door. bikes are also covered on house insurance and anchored to the floor