And another one...

FJS
FJS Posts: 4,820
edited March 2010 in Pro race
One of Savio's boys won't be riding the Tirreno this year, or much else...
http://www.gazzetta.it/Ciclismo/10-03-2 ... 3040.shtml

Comments

• What a hypocrite that man is
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    What a hypocrite that man is

I suppose that would be valid if he was actually encouraging his riders to dope or was aware of their doping practises while crticising others. Do you have evidence of his complicity in these things then ?
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I recall his comments in Pro Cycling on Ricco, something along the lines of "Dear reader, if any of my boys were up to this kind of stuff, I'd be the first to notice."

Swiss Toni edges him for comedy value, but only just.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    He's recruited an army of busted cheats and several of his riders have test positive. Whether he knows what they are up to is one thing we are unlikely to know but it's obvious he's running a careless ship.

Like many teams the budget on anti-doping measures, like internal controls, medical support and even supplying information, must be non-existent within this team.

Anyway, if things proceed as they appear then there's one less cheat.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    For what it's worth, Giunti is a 35-year end of career case; he rode for Miche the last couple of years, and earlier some Fassa Bortolo experience...
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    DaveyL wrote:
    I recall his comments in Pro Cycling on Ricco, something along the lines of "Dear reader, if any of my boys were up to this kind of stuff, I'd be the first to notice."

Should Dan and the boys be giving him a page to spout forth in Procycling? I mean, how many positives is it in the last year?

Hell, Pierre will write them a monthly column if they like :wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Seems old leopards can't change their spots.
    Don't know why Savio gets singled out for so much stick, though, unless it's something to do with his fancy attire.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    DaveyL wrote:

Swiss Toni edges him for comedy value, but only just.

He's also written about the fact that after TinTins bust, he (Gianni) was no longer going to rely on his innate abilty to determine a riders integrity, but he'd review these new-fangled bio-passports.
    Guess that plan of attack proved equally useless.

At the very least he appears incompetent and / or reckless.

Possibly the worst aspect of this is that riders like valv.piti can now point to Italy and ask how can they be fit to pass judgement on him, when they have been clutching a whole nest of vipers to their collective bosom.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Kléber wrote:
    Like many teams the budget on anti-doping measures, like internal controls, medical support and even supplying information, must be non-existent within this team.
    How can this have happened with Gianni's extensive anti-doping policy in place:

"I'm depressed about the whole thing because at our training camp in November, we devoted half a day to a course about anti-doping."
  • Kléber
    Half a day? That's a start. I bet the likes of Scarponi, Bertagnolii and Giunti sat in the back row :wink:

More seriously, imagine the gulf between 3 hours in November and the lengths Garmin go to.
  • DaveyL
    http://twitter.com/TheDPate/status/10276471325

"What do Giunti, Axelsson, Rebellin, De Bonis, Scarponi, Hondo All have in common? All have been on Diquigiovanni and...? Woohoo go team!!"
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • God look at all of you, Savio's trying to promote cycling in the Veneto through Sartorial elegance and multifarious low-paying sponsors and all you lot can do i shate on him. You should be ashamed of yourself. It's a veneto team with 36% veneto staff and one who, although he was born in Trentino, has lived there for a number ofyears. You make me sick, they are supportin ggrassroots Veneto cycling and giving the youth somthing to aspire to!

Trolls, stop smearing Savio with untrue allegations.

:wink:
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • DaveyL
    Trolling an internet forum is very much like making love to a beautiful woman...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    DaveyL wrote:
    Trolling an internet forum is very much like making love to a beautiful woman...

lol :lol:

Strava is not Zen.
  • DaveyL wrote:

Baddum Tish!

I was quite pleased with that effort!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • DaveyL
    You had me taken in til the sartorial elegance bit....
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    LangerDan wrote:
    Possibly the worst aspect of this is that riders like valv.piti can now point to Italy and ask how can they be fit to pass judgement on him, when they have been clutching a whole nest of vipers to their collective bosom.

As long as they punish the riders, then I don't see the issue
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Marco Pinotti is also quite funny about it.

He'd be a good candidate to replace Savio in Procycling.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Kléber
    The latest Real Peloton podcasts concludes with Matt Rendell saying "I know loads of Colombian cyclists who were never been paid by the team that Gianni Savio used to run".

Savio reminds me of a modern day Arthur Daley, only without the humour and charm.
  • DaveyL
    I always had the impression Savio was somewhat litigious - stemming from some PC column he wrote where he said he was going to go after folk writing malicious stuff on internet forums. Rendell was maybe rather brave in making this forthright statement...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    DaveyL wrote:
    I always had the impression Savio was somewhat litigious - stemming from some PC column he wrote where he said he was going to go after folk writing malicious stuff on internet forums. Rendell was maybe rather brave in making this forthright statement...

That was in response to a couple of forum posters who wrote less than flattering comments re : the sigining of Rebellin and Simoni . Don't know what the outcome was though
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Aye, wouldl love to hear what the outcome of that was, especially when Rebellin tested positive a few months later.

Egg on face big time.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Thought Mr Savio might had addressed this recent setback within his team in the latest copy of ProCycling, but he reserves his moral wrath for guys who cheat on their wives (nobody on his squad, of course). Maybe next month :roll:

Mr Savio, worry less about who your riders share a bed with and more about who they are sharing needles with.