Is it just me....?

plonk
plonk Posts: 37
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
I dont know whether it's because i've always been slightly accident prone, but occasionally when i'm cycling (particularly when i'm doing over 30mph) i suddenly get really vivid images of me coming off the bike and run through exactly what would happen to me in horrendous detail! These thoughts often pop in to my head completely unbidden, and sometimes i'll even start pondering what my wife and kid's life without me will be like!

Am i a complete wierdo or does anyone else get these involuntary morbid thoughts on their commute? I'm thinking maybe i should start listening to music or something to STOP THE VOICES :shock: :wink:

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    it's a good thing to be painfully aware of what could happen

keeps complacency out
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    I get that occasionally, usually whilst going downhill I wonder about my front wheel , ya know, the "what if it comes off" thought - normally happens at 40mph plus though,

Doesn't happen often as I don't hit 40mph much.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    It's a classic excitement/anxiety switch. Basically the adrenalin can be processed as either, physiologically they're the same until you process them mentally.

Don't worry about it, push harder and the voices stop.
  • After seeing the thread on 'killer squirrels' I'm scared to go out! :shock:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12685608
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    I'm the same, it gets more frequent as you get older/esp if you have kids.

When I was a teenager me and a few mates used to go riding most weekends in the peak district, there's a hill that goes down into the goyt valley with a very long straight you can do some serious speed down. After that some more very technical narrow descents the other side of the valley. In my prime I hit 57mph on that descent. My mum still lives up that way so I went back last summer to ride a few of my old routes and was absolutely terrified!! Didn't have the nerve to get above 45mph at all.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I find myself thinking about falling off more since I had my clipless moments :(

I've been trying to force myself to stop thinking about it in case it makes it happen.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    Not sure if we are weirdos, but there are definitely at least 2 of us.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    I do look down at the nice abrasive tarmac when doing 30 or so and wonder how bikers can do 90 on the motorways!
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    I do it too. Horrible innit!
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I have no imagination so never even thought about it - I guess if I had it would have stopped me climbing as well as cycling
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Agree, that as you get older it becomes more of a problem.

Worst I had: Broke me femur in Coed Y Brenin, 2 years 8 days ago, helicopter etc.

About a month after the break, I had a "flashback". Not a memory, but the whole, crash, as it happened, repeated itself inside my head.
    The over the bars crash...the flying thro the air...the impact...the shock too.
    Everything, total recall, as if it was happening again. Hasn't occurred since.

So, if these poor buggers from Iraq, Afghanistan get "flashbacks" like mine, God, I feel sorry for them as it's very, very scary and totally out of your control. Spooky!
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    It's a classic excitement/anxiety switch. Basically the adrenalin can be processed as either, physiologically they're the same until you process them mentally.

That's interesting. I can identify with that "switch". I get a fairly physical reaction, kind of like a rush - hot flush, tingle up the spine, need to take a gulp of air...
  • SimonLyons
    SimonLyons Posts: 203
    Times I get/got that feeling.

First time I rode a road bike.

Cycling along busy A-roads full of lorries.

Going down steep hills I always wonder how good my brakes are.

In Winter when its rained and frozen overnight - and you come across a stretch of sheet ice - thats a low speed I may die feeling.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Only time I get like that, is over 50mph going down hill fast, although cycling along a fast dual carriageway section I am very mindful of the tin coffins doing 50+ beside me.