North East Coast to Coast

solocp
solocp Posts: 285
edited March 2010 in Tour & expedition
I'm thinking of doing this in the next few weeks on an Orbit tourer. But I'm also thinking of taking the dog in a dog specific trailer. Not particularly concerned with the extra weight as I'll keep mileage down to about 50 per day. My question is how easy is it to take a trailer on this ride? Am I going to encounter many width restrictors of the type you find on many cycle paths?
Look forward to any advice from anyone who has tried to do this. Thanks.

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    North east Scotland? North east England? Or Wales maybe?

Do you plan on crossing to/from the west coast?

Think you might have to be a bit more specific about your route :wink:
    More problems but still living....
  • solocp
    Thanks for the reply. Looking at doing Whitehaven or Workington to Sunderland or Newcastle. Obviously not the off road sections.
  • i did the c2c last summer, starting in Whitehaven and finishing in Tynemouth. I think the only places you will have trouble with are changing between roads and bridleways/cycle paths. there are maybe 4 or 5 places where bollards have been placed about 18" apart, wide enough for a bike and rider to get through no problem, but a trailer might not fit. the bollards are only a couple of feet high so it would be easy enough to unhitch the trailer and lift it over. there is also a part in keswick that follows a wheelchair ramp up past the swimming pool, its only about a metre wide, and maybe 20 metres long, and zig zags up a gentle slope so it might be a bit tight getting round the corners on that. if i remember correctly there is a set of 6 or 7 steps next to it that you'd be able to carry your bike and trailer up in about 30 seconds, so no biggy really.

hope this helps.
  • solocp
    Thanks for that. It has given me something to think about. Really like the idea of taking the dog. Not sure if I can put him through day after day in a trailer but I couls let him jog alongside on some of the bikepath sections.