North Mids RR Saturday League

fingerfun
fingerfun Posts: 82
edited April 2010 in Amateur race
Hiya
I'm going to enter this new series http://www.nmrrl.org.uk/saturday_league.html
and was talking to one of the organisers and he was saying only 30 people have entered! It would be such a shame - surely there are some riders around South Yorkshire and the North Mids that want to enter.... :)
Go on, lets not loose such a potentially good race.

Cheers
Question: Why do so many cyclists not stop at red lights? You would if you were in a car...

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Sounds great but due to shift working I am unable to commit to three saturdays for a series.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I pay money so that OTHER people can marshal races. Not so that I HAVE to do it myself.

Otherwise looks like a great series!
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    There is the same arrangement near to me for a run of 4 races.. one of which you should help marshall.
    I dont really see it as an imposition.

No safety marshalling presumably means no permission from authorities to race on the public highway?
    If the organisers had to pay people to marshall... the entry fees would be a tad higher. no doubt?
  • fingerfun
    I agree JGSI - at an amateur level I see no harm in skipping a race to marshal, it keeps costs down, guarentees a race and its good for all it be involved at all levels. No point in having 60 riders but no marshals hence the race can't be run... at the minute with the Saturday NMRLL we need riders otherwise it isn't going to be happening :(
    Question: Why do so many cyclists not stop at red lights? You would if you were in a car...
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I agree you need marshalls. But I'm more likely to volunteer to marshall my own club's events than someone else's.

And in this case it isn't really voluntary - which is why I wouldn't sign up for it. Personally....
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I know what you are saying but really races rely on a lot of volunteer labour - I've just volunteered to do a couple of nights at Mallory - I may not race any of them this year but someone has to do it otherwise we'll have no sport. Go down with a couple of mates and it's a bit of fun - watch the racing, maybe have a drink on the way home, needn't be a chore.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • fingerfun
    Still haven't got the numbers we want on this so we are looking at bringing along marshals (friends, family etc) so the small number of riders that have entered can actually ride...still dependent on riders bringing people...

I honestly would have thought we could get more than 35 riders for a good saturday afternoon racing in the North Mids/South Yorkshire area... any reasons why do you think?

Cheers
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    Marshalling is a good idea, don't see it as a big commitment. CDNW make you marshall one event in the series, TLI Cheshire Tuesday night series do the same.

I'd rather marshall the odd race and have a nice full calendar to choose from than no marshalling and less races.

Don't know why you've not got more sign-ups. Personally I would go for a Sat morning as opposed to afternoon doesnt break the day up so much.

You're also competing with Darley Moor I suppose and some people will prefer to go for BC points if they are choosing between the two.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    And then there are people like me who can't sign up for a whole series due to shift working...
  • Race Report:

There were 38 riders on the programme for the first race with 7 more entering on the line. Riders came from as far afield as Halifax (Sean Smith - winner), York and Spalding. Disappointingly only 32 took the start line which meant that 13 of the riders on the programme DNS. 4 of these kindly marshalled.

On the last of 5 laps James Baille attacked up the climb out of Cuckney and was joined by Simon Keeton. Marc Mallender jumped across to the pair alone and pushed hard over the top of the climb to force the split. The last rider to make the split was Sean Smith. The four pushed on, caught and ripped through the first group leaving only them four to contest the final sprint. Sean Smith got the jump from Marc who lead out but faded a little in the sprint to finish 4th Simon grabbed second with James a creditable 3rd for a 16 year old.

Race Result:
      1 Sean Smith (B) VS Cycles 36.5 miles in 1h 32m 1s (23.8mph) 2 Simon Keeton(A) Rutland CC 3 James Baillie (Jun) Sheffield Sports CC 4 Marc Mallender (M2) (Rutland CC) all same time 5 Jack Allison (Jun) Dronfield Fusion CC @ 26secs 6 Mark Robinson (B) Spalding CC same time 7 Marc Etches (M1) Sheffrec CC @47 secs 8 Ashley Proctor (Jun) Sheffrec CC 9 Rob Day (M2) Wilson Cycles 10 Ian Russell (A) Newark Castle all same time

The next race is Saturday April 24th where entries will be accepted on the line. £5.00 with a valid TLI licence.