Carbon frames & Helitape

jmillen
jmillen Posts: 627
edited March 2010 in MTB general
Evening folks...

I've just bought a Stumpjumper carbon and I'm keen to protect the frame as much as I can before going out to give it some abuse.

What have people done, gone over the whole frame? Underside of the BB ? What about the top tube, etc?

I'm not really sure how easily these frames will pick up scratches etc and want to avoid it as much as I can.

What have you done with yours?

Thanks in advance
2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
2014 De Rosa R848
Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter

Comments

• JasonRwmb
    JasonRwmb Posts: 268
    I just cut pieces of helicopter tape to cover the frame where cables will rub - also if your heels could rub the chainstays put some here too. As long as you are fairly careful you shouldn't get too many scratches on the bike.

I find if you cut the tape out as rectangles with curved corners it resists peeling much better.

A couple of years ago I had a Yeti ASR-SL which I covered in heli tape when I first got it, the frame stayed in great condition. After I had owned it for about two years I found a massive crack in it and the frame was a write off (luckily replaced FOC by Yeti) so now I don't go too over board on frame protection.
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    My Scale 20 took a bad hit under the BB shell so I cut a piece of 5mm wetsuit up to fit under the BB shell with some small tabs that ran along the chainstays and downtube so I could cabletie it on. Did the job a treat, you could see on the neoprene where rocks had been hitting after fitting it.

It all sound a bit chipshop but you couldn't see it.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Eskimo427
    Eskimo427 Posts: 288
    I have a nice new Scott Spark 20 which I've just finished taping up. I've put it on the underside of the downtube, across the top of the top tube, under cables which are likely to rub, on the inside of the rear triangle and at the back of the seat post.

My thinking is the bottom tube will get hit by stones, the top tube I tape a pump to it and the rest is protected from the mud etc which is thrown up or is attached to the rear wheel. I have a old GT which has seen a lot of action in it's life, so using the frame on that as my benchmark I taped where I thought the tape would provide the best protection.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    In my Ibis I did

underside of the downtube, HT to BB
    inside of chain and seatstays at the tyre
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • billysan
    billysan Posts: 575
    Has anyone tried applying helitape to an anodized frame? does it adhere properly to the textured surface?
  • POHB
    POHB Posts: 40
    My Stumpjumper carbon frame is coming into it's 3rd year of abuse now. When I first put the bike together I taped where I thought the cables would rub and it already had some under the downtube. It has a few scratches now but nothing major, in fact the carbon seems more resistant to cable rub than paint on a metal frame.
  • jmillen
    POHB wrote:
    My Stumpjumper carbon frame is coming into it's 3rd year of abuse now. When I first put the bike together I taped where I thought the cables would rub and it already had some under the downtube. It has a few scratches now but nothing major, in fact the carbon seems more resistant to cable rub than paint on a metal frame.

Liking the sound of that. I've been out and put some in a couple of obvious places, but don't really want to go ott. I think I'll go for my ride tomorrow evening, and see where seems to take the majority of the action and do what I can from there...
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Did the entirety of my 456 frame, and i'll do the same for the carbon one when it arrives.
  • jmillen
    I've come across a couple of really awkward places on this frame where the tubes vary in diameter, and direction throughout their length. I had 2 goes at it and !@?<$% both of them up....

I guess it would be alot easier if I took everything off the bike, but it was only built for me on Monday. I guess I could though :roll:
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    Did the entirety of my 456 frame.

does that mean the tape's worth more than the frame? :wink:
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Nah, one roll did the frame fine...

cheeky git :p

Definitely do it before you build the bike though, sooooooo much easier.