Some starters advice please?

rockhopper71
rockhopper71 Posts: 8
edited March 2010 in MTB beginners
I am an experienced road cyclist, that is now bored senseless and recently hooked on MTB! I now have a new Rockhopper and want to learn off road techniques and tricks of the trade. I am also looking for some good routes around the Kent, Sussex, Surrey and Essex areas, can anyone out there recommend any? Distance and hills not a problem, technique is the main thing that I am going to need help with.
Also, are there any classes that can be attended to improve technique?

Comments

• sbonda
    sbonda Posts: 61
    Hi Mate,
    I'm still fairly new to this site too but it is a good place to browse around and pick up tips and tricks, so welcome.
    I've been riding MTB forever but have never really thought about technique etc until i found this site ( i used to just go flying about until i came off! :D )
    I found that if you go to the Bikeradar home page and type in 'technique' in the search bar there are tonnes of articles on how to manual, ride hardtails, jump, ride berms etc.
    I found these pretty good at giving me something to think about while riding and have improved my technique.
    They might not work for eveyone but i think they're worth a look at!
    Good luck and enjoy!!
  • KulaBen
    KulaBen Posts: 220
    Hello,

My missus got me a day's tuition last birthday- well worth it, especially for things like technical climbs. My lesson was in the peaks though, but i'm sure there'll be someone near you.

Enjoy

Ben
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    hey, welcome to the MTB ranks! We're mostly a nice bunch! :) can't fault you for getting bored of road cycling, it bores the tits off me too.

For technique, you can take classes on it, there are some threads on here. A lot of trails centres such as glentress, sherwood pines etc offer skills sessions, i'm not too sure of trails/trails centres down south so i can't offer much there. Also forums are great places to pick up tips and tricks, and also mountain biking magazines, MBUK runs beginner tips features quite often and are definitely worth reading. MBR also does some similar things but i don't find them to be as useful as MBUK in that way.

Happy riding!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Welcome to join MTB crowd. You may want to check forums -Routes** and if don't fancy ride alone -MTB Rides**. Rockhopper71 you do live very close to MTB mecca Surrey Alps, but if you fancy easier introduction with some nice and not too bumpy places then Swinley Forest would be you place.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Thanks guys, some helpful stuff here, I will get busy researching and learning, No doubt I will be back with more questions soon and look forward to talking with you!