Converting my Hybrid to Drops

markshaw77
markshaw77 Posts: 437
edited March 2010 in The workshop
Right, I have a 2-year old Spesh Sirrus Elite that has served me well (10k miles and counting), but now that I have graduated ( :wink: ) to drop bars on my other bikes, it would be good to match the Sirrus and create myself a commuting/winter hack in the process

I have searched this forum and others and I think I need the following bits (plan is to collect them over a few months and make the conversion in the summer), but would appreciate some confirmation:

- Drop bars (easy enough) & bar tape
- New stem (dependent on reach, etc)
- a pair of STIs - my Sirrus is a Triple/9-speed Tiagra setup, so can I get any 9-speed STIs (old Ultegra/105) or do I need the matching Tiagra shifters? Am I right in saying that some STIs won't deal with a triple FD?
- 2 pairs of mini-V brakes/canti brakes/TravelAgent adaptors to replace my current V-Brakes when moving to the STIs. Was leaning towards mini-Vs or the TravelAgents but would appreacite feedback on braking performance from anyone who already has either
- Cabling as required

Anything else I am missing?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• You will need a road specific front derailer as the road STI's pull less cable. Unless you can attach the gear cable in a way that brings it closer to the pivot point of the derailer - closer to pivot point = less cable pull needed for same derailer movement.

Any shimano 9 speed STI will work with the bits you have though
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL