Do your flaps slow you down?

kelsen
kelsen Posts: 2,003
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
I have one on the rear of my front mudguard. Just wondering how much quicker would I be if it wasn't there?

Comments

• sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    Mine fell off! I don't miss it. Rear one disappeared too, to be honest it looks better without :D
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    kelsen wrote:
    I have one on the rear of my front mudguard. Just wondering how much quicker would I be if it wasn't there?

At the speeds travelled by commuters a bit of mudguard here or there makes no difference for aerodynamics

The only way you would go faster with better aerodynamics is by using aero handle bar extensions. But they are only any good if a) you are going over 20mph already b) no braking is required. Which doesn't sound much like most commutes to me.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,373
    Are you DDD in disguise?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • I was riding evening 10 TTs a year or two since, and I'd just cleaned my TT bike. It wazzed it down and I wanted to ride, so went on my commuter. It has a fairly substantial mudflap F & R and I reckon I was two and a half minutes slower, despite trying very hard!

So it's all about the bike!

If you ride along at a reasonable speed, then hold up a spare mudflap with your hand so it faces the breeze, you'll feel a fair resistance.
  • Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    Someone posted a link to a site about winter cycling the other day that had an interesting piece about why cycling is slower in winter.

The main point was that the baggier clothes people tend to wear in winter caused their to be more air resistance, and quite considerably more if I remember correctly. So I'd imagine that yes flaps will slow you down.
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    OK, there are five replies and still no snigger about the thread title.

I thought it was going to be a sexist thread :twisted:
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    vorsprung wrote:

At the speeds travelled by commuters a bit of mudguard here or there makes no difference for aerodynamics

The only way you would go faster with better aerodynamics is by using aero handle bar extensions. But they are only any good if a) you are going over 20mph already

What if you're doing 10mph into a 10mph headwind? Surely all aero gubbins are useful in a strong headwind, even if your forward speed isn't very fast.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Surely the important question to ask (in a commuting context) is:
    "Is the time saved on my commute by removing draggy mudguards/flaps etc enough to compensate for the extra time spent cleaning, buying and replacing chains, mechs, cassettes etc?"

I think I know the answer to that one...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    Surely the important question to ask (in a commuting context) is:
    "Is the time saved on my commute by removing draggy mudguards/flaps etc enough to compensate for the extra time spent cleaning, buying and replacing chains, mechs, cassettes etc?"

I think I know the answer to that one...

yes :)
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    R_T_A wrote:

you have no idea how many of the guys are being restrained...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • kelsen
    R_T_A wrote:

I know! So disappointed with the smut levels (lack of) on this forum. Only Sarajoy came close, and even then, may have been a perfectly innocent remark :D
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    kelsen wrote:
    R_T_A wrote:

I know! So disappointed with the smut levels (lack of) on this forum. Only Sarajoy came close, and even then, may have been a perfectly innocent remark :D

I think Sarajoy enjoys teasing us all with her "perfectly innocent" remarks :lol:

Ok, here goes....

Aren't flaps good for stopping the person behind you getting covered in mess?

:roll:
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    vorsprung wrote:
    kelsen wrote:

The only way you would go faster with better aerodynamics is by using aero handle bar extensions. But they are only any good if a) you are going over 20mph already b) no braking is required. Which doesn't sound much like most commutes to me.

I hit 56kmh on my way home yesterday on my Sardar (steel, 26" City Jets)
    This involved planting my chin on the bar bag.

While this was comfortably above the new 30mph speed limit applied on that road for motorised vehicles it was nothing compared to in the summer when I managed to break the then 40mph speed limit with a 68kmh descent on the same hill on my road bike.

Something tells me I am going to get done for Inconsiderate/careless/dangerous on that hill someday.

(Unfortunately I chose the wrong wheel track for entering the circle at the bottom, I expected there to be traffic, and there wasn't, only 32kmh through it.)
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    R_T_A wrote:
    kelsen wrote:
    R_T_A wrote:

I think Sarajoy enjoys teasing us all with her "perfectly innocent" remarks :lol:

Oh! Hadn't even thought of it that way :oops:

Hurr, flaps.
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I was disappointed with you all and about to pick up the pink phone to Greg T...

You may have pulled it back.

Keep trying.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    edited March 2010
    I was disappointed with you all and about to pick up the pink phone to Greg T...

Keep trying.

Disappointed in the innuendo, or the lack of it? :)

... or the lack of good innuendo.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Aidy wrote:

Keep trying.

Disappointed in the innuendo, or the lack of it? :)

I was going to call Greg T.

Which do you think?
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I was going to call Greg T.

Which do you think?

Option 4. Greg is a lucky boy?
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Women are slower than men ergo flaps do slow you down.

Not so much innuendo as inyourfaceo, but it was asked for....
  • tri-sexual
    tri-sexual Posts: 672
    please PM me some pictures/videos of your flaps, i am an expert on this subject and can give good impartial advice :lol:
  • kelsen
    So I rode in today minus my front bottom flap. I removed the guard on the front wheel last night in anticipation of the long balmy summer days just round the corner. I wouldn't say it shaved minutes of my commute, but it was definitely easier to maintain forward motion, particularly in today's headwind because sudden gusts didn't affect the front of the bike as much as usual.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    My missus had the same problem with her flaps...now she wears tighter knickers!
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Zachariah wrote:
    vorsprung wrote:

The only way you would go faster with better aerodynamics is by using aero handle bar extensions. But they are only any good if a) you are going over 20mph already

What if you're doing 10mph into a 10mph headwind? Surely all aero gubbins are useful in a strong headwind, even if your forward speed isn't very fast.

possibly.......but the non braking problem still applies