Clever Pun
Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
Fixed Pista- FCN 5
Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14

Comments

• I've always gone for SRAM to avoid the Shimano black link of death, but would be interested in hearing abou the KMC and Campag (will my bike turn to dust if I put a roadie component on it :shock: :lol: )
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    I like SRAM chains and I also think their joining links (Powerlinks, in SRAM jargon) are easier to open/close than KMC's ones are.

I've tried KMC, Shimano and SRAM chains, but I can't comment on Campag or Wipperman.
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    I use KMC but don't know how they compare to others. FWIW, I tend to buy from Merlin (e.g. http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/bicycle-c ... chain.html) as their prices are good (£18 for the X10-95) and they do multi-buy savings (2 for £34, 3 for $48).

_
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953

I have that on my best bike

The commuter has a 1/8" chain
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I'm a big Fan of KMC chains, never had one snap and they seem very durable (at least the SL10 is). Use the SL10 on the roadie and their 1/8 on the SS.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    that's a pricey chain IP
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I've been a Connex user for years, but have just purchased 3 Mavic 10 speed chains for £30 to give them a try. Will report back when they are 0.75mm stretched...promise!
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Don't the Campy ones require the matching Campagnolo Chain Tool with it's £100+ price?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I've had 4 KMC chains fracture on me.

Wipperman is the correct answer
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    Don't the Campy ones require the matching Campagnolo Chain Tool with it's £100+ price?

Thats what they'd like you to believe but it can be done with a special Park Tool tool
  • amnezia wrote:
    Eau Rouge wrote:

Thats what they'd like you to believe but it can be done with a special Park Tool tool

But not just a normal chain tool? My bike came with a Campag chain so will I need to take it to a bike shop to remove it? Not worth me buying a special Campag tool (or even a Park tool) if I don't use Campag chains in the future.

+1 for the 3x 10 sp Mavic chains for £30 from CRC, by the way. At least, a +1 for price - no idea on quality and longevity yet.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    amnezia wrote:

Ah, but what if that breaks? Then you'd have to fix it with a Park Tool Tool tool.
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    amnezia wrote:
    Eau Rouge wrote:

But not just a normal chain tool? My bike came with a Campag chain so will I need to take it to a bike shop to remove it? Not worth me buying a special Campag tool (or even a Park tool) if I don't use Campag chains in the future.

+1 for the 3x 10 sp Mavic chains for £30 from CRC, by the way. At least, a +1 for price - no idea on quality and longevity yet.

You could remove (break) the chain and fit it with one of the various 11/10sp power links but to join the chain without these you need a special tool.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Jamey wrote:
    I like SRAM chains and I also think their joining links (Powerlinks, in SRAM jargon) are easier to open/close than KMC's ones are.

I've tried KMC, Shimano and SRAM chains, but I can't comment on Campag or Wipperman.

The SRAM powerlinks for 10 speed chains can't be re-opened.

If there is a reopenable link for a 10 speed chain out there, I'd love to know - I really miss that facility.
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Jamey wrote:

If there is a reopenable link for a 10 speed chain out there, I'd love to know - I really miss that facility.

The KMC one isn't? That would explain why I can't re-open and make me feel a tiny bit better about myself....I think.
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    I've been a Connex user for years, but have just purchased 3 Mavic 10 speed chains for £30 to give them a try. Will report back when they are 0.75mm stretched...promise!
    Those Mavic chains are rebranded Connex Wipperman. They come with the usual Connex quick link. Bargain of the century IMO.
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    Jamey wrote:

The KMC missing link is removable (easily) - I always use kmc links on my 9 and 10 speeds and remove the chain for cleaning. The SRAM 9 speed powerlink is re-usable, but the SRAM 10 speed link is single use.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    As it happens I've just bought some KMC 10 speed missing links - arrived today from Wiggle.The instructions on the back of the pack give both opening and closing instructions:
    "Opening: Press both sides of the Missing Link connector together while sliding the chain ends together (unlock). Remove the two halves of teh link from the chain ends."
  • amnezia wrote:
    Eau Rouge wrote:

You can use any decent chain tool on a 10 spd Campagnolo chain. No need to get any special tools nor take your bike to the LBS.
    You can also use 10 spd. quick links with Campagnolo chains (but get the 5.9 mm AKA "Shimano" quick link, not the very old 6.0 mm "Campagnolo" quick link.)
    I rotate between two 10 spd chains on my long distance bike; one is Campagnolo and the other is KMC. The Campagnolo chain is superior regarding shifting, corrosion resistance and general finish. I don't think I would buy another KMC X10 chain again unless it was significantly cheaper than e.g. a Campagnolo Veloce chain.

--
    Regards