Handle Bar Upgrades

jasterixstrange
jasterixstrange Posts: 8
edited March 2010 in MTB beginners
Firstly ... hi! New here but not to forums.

Just looking for some advice.
My riser bars are stock 25mm efforts and although they are very pretty indeed (gloss white!) they're just too narrow for my big fat man hands!
So, here's the dilemma I want to upgrade to a 31.8mm riser and have pretty much found the one I want ... a big fat grey Deity effort ... but I don't want to have to upgrade my gear shifters and brake leavers. Is there any solution to this ... or are my fat hands giving me no choice???

Thanks in advance

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    edited March 2010
    Hi & welcome to the forum. The Deity bar will be 31.8 in the middle where it is clamped by the stem and will taper at the ends, so no probs with brakes/shifters etc.

You will need a stem with a 31.8 clamp for your new bar. Alternatively, Funn have a number of wide bars that fit a 25.4 stem.
  • Dang ... so it may simply be a case of some fat grips then ...
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    Dang ... so it may simply be a case of some fat grips then ...

Afraid so, as far as I'm aware the ends of the bars are a standard diameter or it would be a nightmare with brake levers etc... loads of fatter grips out there though...my advise would be to get to a shop and have a look as the pictures on the net can be misleading.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • If you looking for large grips, i would just put a post up in the Buying Advice section. There will be people out there that have encountered the same problem and will be able to point you to suitable products.
  • Thanks both
  • Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    I use Ergon grips & whilst my hands aren't the largest, I can see them being plenty big enough due to the shape.

Dawg
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • tom_fun
    tom_fun Posts: 124
    I recently bought these in Fat handed tw@t size

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Sunli ... 360035232/
    I found them instantly much more comfortable than the standard thin ones.