El Pais interview with Armstrong

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited March 2010 in Pro race
CN have a few bits from it here

Is he playing mind games or is he just trying to manage fans expectations?
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Bit of both I think. Also I think he's always more relaxed away from the critical (for him) time of the year.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    He really is a fascinating case study so thanks for the link :wink:
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    He knows that he was very lucky to get on the podium last year.

Denis the menace, Carlos Satre, and that guy from Oz will probably be more competitive this year, and Christain VDV, KLoden, Levi, Nabali et al., and the Green Bullet will all be there as well.

I do think Lance will be beat Wiggans though.
  • dougzz
    Bakunin wrote:

Yep it's most definitely luck. It's not like he has any pedigree in the race. Same old story, lucky to be in the right place at the right time, lucky to avoid injury, illness and crashes. He's one lucky so and so. ;)
  • samiam
    samiam Posts: 227
    I'm guessing he hasn't seen significant gains from a year of more heavily focused preparation.

Which is a shame for this years tour.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    dougzz wrote:
    Bakunin wrote:

Yep it's most definitely luck. It's not like he has any pedigree in the race. Same old story, lucky to be in the right place at the right time, lucky to avoid injury, illness and crashes. He's one lucky so and so. ;)

Pedigree -- what is this a dog show?

The point is Menchov, Sastre, and Evans were off their game. VDV was coming off injury, Levi crashed out, and Valverde was banned. LA was lucky, and yes he was good enough to distance Wiggans and FS.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Bakunin wrote:
    dougzz wrote:
    Bakunin wrote:

Pedigree -- what is this a dog show?

The point is Menchov, Sastre, and Evans were off their game. VDV was coming off injury, Levi crashed out, and Valverde was banned. LA was lucky, and yes he was good enough to distance Wiggans and FS.

You could say there is hard luck story every year this one was injured and that one was out of form blah de blah bottom line he was 3rd because he deserved to be 3rd he beat what was in front of him except AS and AC. If he was lucky he had no injuries or crashes the same could be said of others i just dont buy into this luck thing at all.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    The point is that the third spot of the podium was open. Armstrong took it but it could equally have been Kloeden, Frank Schleck, Wiggo on there.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,477
    It was open, and luck may have played a part, but Armstrong got the podium place by riding intelligently and using his experience. He might not have been the third strongest rider in the race but he was the canniest.
  • moray_gub
    Kléber wrote:
    The point is that the third spot of the podium was open. Armstrong took it but it could equally have been Kloeden, Frank Schleck, Wiggo on there.

It could have been but it wasn't but imo luck didnt play any siginificant part in that and if it did then it play its part in every race and every final podium.
  • zammmmo
    zammmmo Posts: 315
    samiam wrote:
    I'm guessing he hasn't seen significant gains from a year of more heavily focused preparation.

Which is a shame for this years tour.

Yes, exactly that.
  • micron
    I think the Murcia TT was a bit of a wake up call
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Armstrong will know his numbers, the SRM meter does not lie. He'll know if he can get better or not and where he is in his preparation.

People around him said that his return to the sport wouldn't happen in one season, that he'd need the 2009 just to get his body back in shape and that 2010 would be better for him.

Personally I find something saddening about watching a former big name race winner getting older. Once they could win races with ease but then they lose their powers. It's like seeing an old tiger in the zoo, looking scratched and bored from walking around the small enclosure, resigned to captivity.

It's often better to quit the sport, Armstrong left the sport on a high before, although that's for image purposes and if you enjoy it all, then carry on. Armstrong never struck me as someone who loved cycling, even if being on the road can be fun at times. Arguably, without starting another forum extravaganza, Armstrong's comeback has in part been an effect to silence a lot of critics and skeptics.

Even the Radio Shack project looks short term. It's full of old timers, the talent is with the Livestrong-Trek squad and even Radio Shack doesn't mention the team on its own website. It all looks like some vehicle for the (brief) comeback. I suppose we'll just have to wait until August. Maybe he'll switch to triathlon?
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    One thing I've particularly noticed is he just doesn't look comfortable on a TT bike anymore. And if he's losing time there to other contenders such as Contador he's not no hope in pulling that back when it comes to the high mountains.
  • zammmmo
    zammmmo Posts: 315
    One thing I've particularly noticed is he just doesn't look comfortable on a TT bike anymore. And if he's losing time there to other contenders such as Contador he's not no hope in pulling that back when it comes to the high mountains.

Thats one of the things he's admitted was the case in 2009 and which he says has been addressed, but I do know what you mean, there does seem to be a slight loss of intensity in TTs in particular. And its not the case that the sport has moved on with even better people e.g. Cancellara and Contador, look at the Annecy TT from the TDF when he was beaten by many others...he looked beaten-up.

It'll be somewhat ironic for him if 2009 turns out to be better than 2010...and I think that is exactly what will happen.
  • So should he give up the the GC and maybe try for stage wins, or even a crack at the KoM?
  • I'm guessing pride won't let him do that, he's a GC contender or nothing I suspect.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Kléber wrote:
    Maybe he'll switch to triathlon?

He is racing the IRONMAN in Hawaii in 2011.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364

Allegedly so. I'm looking forward to seeing his face as Chrissie Wellington passes him on the run :lol:
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167

Allegedly so. I'm looking forward to seeing his face as Chrissie Wellington passes him on the run :lol:

Chicked. Yes please.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • micron
    I was somewhat appalled that he gives his kids the same look he gives his sworn enemies - are they also not worth the chair they're sitting on when dad loses his temper?
  • stokepa31
    stokepa31 Posts: 560
    micron wrote:
    I was somewhat appalled that he gives his kids the same look he gives his sworn enemies - are they also not worth the chair they're sitting on when dad loses his temper?

oh comon. eveyone gives their kids 'the look' its better than hitting them!!!!!!
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • micron
    I don't - don't hit them either :wink: Just thought it was telling that he was quite candid about it - and presumably the feeling behind it - being the same for his kids as for someone he despises. Says something about the psychology of the man is all.
  • moray_gub
    micron wrote:

come on get real will you a look is just that a look how can you analyse a mans pysche based on that ? He gives his kids a dirty look when they misbehave big deal who doesnt when their kids misbehave ?
  • dougzz
    Moray Gub wrote:
    micron wrote:

come on get real will you a look is just that a look how can you analyse a mans pysche based on that ? He gives his kids a dirty look when they misbehave big deal who doesnt when their kids misbehave ?

Get real, this is Lance, we can't can't have shades of grey, it's all Black or White.
  • micron
    Simply an observation based on his own words - would hate to think any 'dirty looks' I gave my kids carried the venom that was behind his attack on Kimmage for example. I was also glad to read that he loves his kids more than anything, which humanises him somewhat. Like I said, fascinating insight into a complex character.

Dougzzz, wouldn't you say that Armstrong uses that very polarity, the 'you're either with me or against me' attitude to motivate himself??
  • dougzz
    micron wrote:
    Simply an observation based on his own words - would hate to think any 'dirty looks' I gave my kids carried the venom that was behind his attack on Kimmage for example. I was also glad to read that he loves his kids more than anything, which humanises him somewhat. Like I said, fascinating insight into a complex character.

Dougzzz, wouldn't you say that Armstrong uses that very polarity, the 'you're either with me or against me' attitude to motivate himself??

Absolutely he does, and it's something about him that's very dislikeable, and not to be encouraged in others :)
    But I think the suggestion that 'The Look' for his children imparts the same venom as it does when he attacks Kimmage, Walsh or whoever is really stretching a point. I think it's this sort on analysis of every word that makes sports people start giving Premier League style interviews, be bland, be dull and don't be honest, because if you are someone will pull it apart and make what they want from it.
  • moray_gub
    micron wrote:

Is there any reason why you think he wouldnt love his kids ? He is a top class sportsman and you may surprised to learn they also love their kids just like you and i . He also eats and sh ites like you and me as well and suffers the same human emotions as you and me.............surprising eh !
  • dougzz wrote:
    micron wrote:

Absolutely he does, and it's something about him that's very dislikeable, and not to be encouraged in others :)
    But I think the suggestion that 'The Look' for his children imparts the same venom as it does when he attacks Kimmage, Walsh or whoever is really stretching a point. I think it's this sort on analysis of every word that makes sports people start giving Premier League style interviews, be bland, be dull and don't be honest, because if you are someone will pull it apart and make what they want from it.

Not only sports, why do you think politicians learn to make speeches like they do? If you didn't really say anything, morons can't claim you meant something else.
  • samiam
    samiam Posts: 227
    The Armstrong hate has now entered the realm of "intensely stupid".