Commute Bike/Hybrid - Help Please

Paulq
Paulq Posts: 58
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Am about to start commuting to work on a daily round trip of about 25 miles. I currently have a GT Transeo 4 hybrid which I have fitted with a rack and bag and some slightly more robust tyres and had planned to use this for the commute - would probably do an ok job.

I also have a MTB which I only ever use for forest trail tye rides with the other half 4 or 5 times a year so it tends to sit in the shed unused.

Ideally I'd like to go down to 1 bike which would cope with both types of riding but am unsure what type would be up to the job? Would my existing hybrid do the forest trails stuff without trashing it as it would probably do a good enough job on the commute?

Alternatively I could sell both my current bikes and invest in something like a Cannondale Bad Boy disc or one of the Kona Urban range but, conversely, am unsure how fast and light they would be for my commute?

The commute and road work will be the priority as the Forest Trail stuff is occasional at best.

Any thought on the above and the bikes mentioned?

Cheers

Paul

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Keep both bikes and get another one for commuting.
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    Sounds like you want a CX bike.
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • Paulq
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Keep both bikes and get another one for commuting.

Now that's the answer I wanted :-). Except not sure I'd get away with the hybrid +1 for commuting.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Get a road bike so you can say its for training/improving fitness as well.
  • Cafewanda
    Are you a man or a mouse? Stand up for yourself and claim your right to the formula N+1 :lol::lol:

Just ensure you have enough storage space....................... :wink:
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    Ditch the hybrid - keep one road, one MTB - both fit for purpose then :)
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    BTW Hybrid (esp with robust tyres) will probably be fine for forest trails if they're not very rocky or muddy and we're just talking paths between trees. But it probably won't be quite as manoeuvrable.

CX does sound like the best combination, tbh! Rugged AND roadie. Weirdos ride things like them through forests all the time, and they have a nice flat bit inside the frame triangle to hook them over your shoulder if you need to climb out of somewhere!
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    This question seems to have been writing by the CX marketing board!

But it does seem like a good answer.
  • Cafewanda
    It's an sneaky attempt by KeiranB to up his popularity and the value of his shares in CX bikes :lol:

With the brisk trade in capes, he should be able to stop working in another year or two :wink:
  • Paulq
    Er what is a CX yes please? :D

And how could it possibly be better than the Cannondale Bad Boy Disc? Because the answer I really want from some learned individual is that this is the bike for me and that it's perfect on the road as a commuter and that it will also handle a bit of the rough stuff.

:D:D

Seriously, if CX (whatever that is) is something I should look at then I will. Then I'll look at the Cannondale again.

Cheers

Paul
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    Paulq wrote:
    Er what is a CX yes please? :D

And how could it possibly be better than the Cannondale Bad Boy Disc? Because the answer I really want from some learned individual is that this is the bike for me and that it's perfect on the road as a commuter and that it will also handle a bit of the rough stuff.

:D:D

thats not a problem, most bikes are better than the Cannodale Bad Boy Disc
  • Cafewanda
    Calling KB to reception...........................
  • Canny Jock
    A cyclocross bike - road type frame and geometry, but able to take bigger tyres and often mudguards, they are designed for cyclocross racing but have now become widely used as commuters and tourers, as they often also have rack mounts.

A couple of examples:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec020084

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gen ... is%20croix

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kon ... gn=froogle

With narrower tyres (25/28 ) they are very good on the road, and with wider cross tyres (maybe 32/35) they are also very good on trials.

Much better than the bad boy IMHO.
  • Paulq
    Thanks for the explanation that's helpful. My LBS is a Giant/Scott dealer and not sure if they have anything similar in their respective ranges but would be worth a look.

Cheers

Paul

PS: Am surprised at the negative comments ref the BB - some rave about it. Live and learn I guess.
  • Sounds like the perfect case for one of these

http://www.fisherbikes.com/bike/model/utopia
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • Canny Jock
    This very good Bad Boy review from GeordieFella is worth reading to explain:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... ondale+boy

Giant CX bike:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-TCX-2-201 ... _28440.htm

Scott CX bike:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Scott-CX-Comp-2 ... _19426.htm

The other option is of course proper road bike, keep the mountain bike.
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    I should have been a bit more specific when I said a CX bike - sorry about that!

I had the same thoughts as you and ended up with a Giant Escape hybrid, which does a grand job.

In the distance future, I'll upgrade to a CX bike, as I didn't know they existed when I purchased mine.

Naturally, go and try one out as it may not be the type of bike for you, but certainly include it in your investigations.
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • Paulq
    R_T_A wrote:
    I should have been a bit more specific when I said a CX bike - sorry about that!

I had the same thoughts as you and ended up with a Giant Escape hybrid, which does a grand job.

In the distance future, I'll upgrade to a CX bike, as I didn't know they existed when I purchased mine.

Naturally, go and try one out as it may not be the type of bike for you, but certainly include it in your investigations.

That's ok now I know. I will take a look at the CX bikes locally but suspect that I'll just give it a go on the hybrid for now or sell the pair of them and buy some sort of urban bike.

This thread has been useful in confirming that the choice and range of bikes is mind boggling and that I also have no idea what I really want!! :D
  • My advice would be to muddle through with what you have. Once you've been commuting for a while, you'll understand better what you really want from a commute bike. If I'd have been able to buy a new bike almost as soon as I started, I'd have ended up with a hybrid, which would have been quite a step up from my BSO mountain bike.

As it happened, my work dragged their heels quite a bit and I realised the joys of a proper road bike. Couldn't be happier. If I'd ended up with the hybrid, I'd always be looking forward to getting a road bike. I hate being overtaken. :lol:

Personally, I wouldn't go for a CX bike. They all have very short top-tubes which would feel very cramped. I had enough trouble finding a road bike to fit my size.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    My advice would be to muddle through with what you have. Once you've been commuting for a while, you'll understand better what you really want from a commute bike. If I'd have been able to buy a new bike almost as soon as I started, I'd have ended up with a hybrid, which would have been quite a step up from my BSO mountain bike.

As it happened, my work dragged their heels quite a bit and I realised the joys of a proper road bike. Couldn't be happier. If I'd ended up with the hybrid, I'd always be looking forward to getting a road bike. I hate being overtaken. :lol:

Personally, I wouldn't go for a CX bike. They all have very short top-tubes which would feel very cramped. I had enough trouble finding a road bike to fit my size.
    I take it your on the too tall side. It's a nightmare trying to find things that fit when your not average :(
  • suzyb wrote:
    My advice would be to muddle through with what you have. Once you've been commuting for a while, you'll understand better what you really want from a commute bike. If I'd have been able to buy a new bike almost as soon as I started, I'd have ended up with a hybrid, which would have been quite a step up from my BSO mountain bike.

I take it your on the too tall side. It's a nightmare trying to find things that fit when your not average :(

I'm only 6' 2" ish, but I have the legs of someone 5' 10", and the torso of someone 6' 5". It's hard enough being tall or short, but being strangely proportioned too limits choices even more.

On the plus side though, my BeOne couldn't be a better fit. :D
  • Paulq

To be honest I think that's probably the line I will take on the basis that it will determine whether I am happy with the bike being fit for purpose, or I will rediscover the bug I lost 18 months ago and really get back into cycling again.