helmet bullet cam with portable screen and a load of extras

bluechair84
bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
edited March 2010 in MTB general
Been browsing handycams for a stagg weekend and came across this on ebay.... a lot more expensive than the VehoMuvi thing that's been around here, but it's a bullet cam with a little monitor too....
framerate is on the slow side but....

ebay

Comments

• Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    The frame rates and resolution are matching those of standard PAL and NTSC footage so they arn't really slow; they just conform to the broadcasting standards.

Other than that I dont know much else about it; it looks quite nice though.

The benefit to this type of camera though is that dispite it being standard def (as oposed to some of the new HD cameras such as the GoPro and ContourHD), due to the seperate recording unit they can often cope with relativly high data rates producing nicer quality (less noisey and with less encoding artifacts and smoother motion) than some of the HD cameras.

If anyone gets one of these I'd be interested to see the results from it because the price doesn't seem too bad considering everything it comes with.
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I wondered if the relatively low frame rate compared to even a standard digi cam (30fps) it might be blurred or jumped in high speed sections. I think that is my biggest complaint with many of the videos I have seen so far is how the unit handles fast scenes.
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    As aleady mentioned - 25fps is the standard for PAL (UK) systems and will be fine for recording any fast paced actions sports.

The potenital issue is with the camera mounting causing jerky flickering images.
  • Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    25fps is exactly the same frame rate as you see on TV and on DVD's.

If the video doesn't look smooth its due to other problems, not the frame rate,
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Seperates are a pain to use on a bike though, I used to use a seperates system on the motorbike and it was perfect for that but cables and mountain biking aren't a great combination IMO. Especially as those ones don't look very sturdy.

I'd want to know what the maximum resolution of the camera is, it's a 420L one which quite likely means it's not capable of capturing the claimed 720x576 resolution
    Uncompromising extremist