Saddle Height - Trek Remedy & Fuel EX

mf-racing
mf-racing Posts: 149
edited March 2010 in MTB general
Hi guys,
Should you be able to touch the floor (with your tip toes) while seated at the correct saddle height? I.e. slight bend in leg at bottom of crank?

Its just that both on my Trek EX9 and Remedy 8 that I can’t touch the floor at all if its set at the right saddle height for leg extension. Maybe these types of AM/Lite DH bikes are not made to run at full leg extension?

I think I should be able to touch the floor while seated but then I feel like I’m not getting full pedalling power?

Any advice?

Thanks
Matt
2009 Trek Remedy 9
Megavalance 2010 - Done!
Megavalance 2011 - In-training!
www.mf-racing.co.uk

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    irrelevant measurement.

set the seat to the height as you would normally.

being able to touch the floor on a fully is out of the window.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mf-racing
    Thanks, so I should not worry if I cant touch the floor then? Even on these big burlly AM bikes?

Thanks for your advice! :D
    2009 Trek Remedy 9
    Megavalance 2010 - Done!
    www.mf-racing.co.uk
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Unless you are a beginner or kid, nothing to do with sizing. And even then...
  • mf-racing
    Humm... so is this a common thing with FS bikes then? On all my previous hard tails, I’ve been able to touch the floor with the saddle at the right height. I suppose its to do with high BB heights on AM bikes?
    2009 Trek Remedy 9
    Megavalance 2010 - Done!
    www.mf-racing.co.uk
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Mf-Racing wrote:
    Humm... so is this a common thing with FS bikes then? On all my previous hard tails, I’ve been able to touch the floor with the saddle at the right height. I suppose its to do with high BB heights on AM bikes?

Then your saddle was possibly too low. You don't need to be able to touch the floor when you're on the saddle. If you need to put your foot down then move off the saddle. As long as you can reach the floor without cracking your nuts off the top tube then there's no problem.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • mf-racing
    OK thanks, It just feels a bit disconcerting that I cant touch the floor! Feel like it could end up in lots of falls. Maybe I just need to give it a chance so I get used to it?!
    2009 Trek Remedy 9
    Megavalance 2010 - Done!
    www.mf-racing.co.uk
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I can touch the floor with my leg when I'm on the saddle.... my third leg that is *boom boom*
  • nicklouse
    bails87 wrote:
    If you need to put your foot down then move off the saddle. As long as you can reach the floor without cracking your nuts off the top tube then there's no problem.

even then that is not required.

just keep one foot on one pedal and lean the other way.

a sus bike with 100mm of travel front and read is going to be 100mm up in the air and a 160/160 AM bike well you know.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • phoebian
    phoebian Posts: 497
    I have found that since I have had my FSR my feet barely reach the floor. I just shuffle off the seat until I am ready to go. I am deffinatly higher up compared to my hard tale GT.
  • mf-racing
    OK, thanks guys. Tried it last night, but it felt a bit strange and it was difficult to get going again when stopped on hills etc. Suppose I better just keep at it!

I find it strange that no one else has menaced this (had a search) is it just a given that you often cant touch the floor on full suspension bikes?

Thanks
    2009 Trek Remedy 9
    Megavalance 2010 - Done!
    www.mf-racing.co.uk
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Measure your inside leg. No shoes, bare feet.
    Devide this by 0.885 - 6.
    Use this measurement from the bottom bracket centre, to saddle top.
    Use minor adjustments to get the right "feel".

You probably won't be able to touch the floor tho...
  • nicklouse
    Mf-Racing wrote:
    OK, thanks guys. Tried it last night, but it felt a bit strange and it was difficult to get going again when stopped on hills etc. Suppose I better just keep at it!

I find it strange that no one else has menaced this (had a search) is it just a given that you often cant touch the floor on full suspension bikes?

Thanks

but again why do you need both feet on the floor and still be in the saddle?

you only need one foot down.

to start other foot on pedal to 1 or 2 o'clock and push of with the other and up and away. Or track stand a bit to get clipped in.

not had both feet on the floor for a long time. it is just nor needed and is unstable.
  • bails87
    Splottboy wrote:
    Measure your inside leg. No shoes, bare feet.
    Devide this by 0.885 - 6.
    Use this measurement from the bottom bracket centre, to saddle top.
    Use minor adjustments to get the right "feel".

You probably won't be able to touch the floor tho...

is that divide (do you mean multiply) by 0.885 or 0.886. Or is it divide by 0.885 and then take away 6?
    MTB/CX

• Splottboy
    For saddle height, multiply the cyclist's ( YOUR ) inseam length by 0.885.

Example, your inseam 80cm and ( multiply ) x 0.885 = 70.8cm

So, your saddle height = 70.8cm above botttom bracket axle, saddle horizontal.

I'd suggest to try a little "lee way" with this method, so adjust as required for comfort, "feel", injury prevention, efficiency etc.
    This is the method most widely used, but mainly for Roadies, but it's a good staring point!

Reference, BC Level 2 Club Coach Award, Technical section. Course Resource.

Sorry for the earlier confusion, matey!
  • Splottboy
    STARTING POINT...DOH! Took some Tramadol last night, still feeling the effects.
  • bails87
    The thing is, we tend to move our saddles about more than roadies. So I go by feel. CBA scraping the mud off the seatpost so that I can read the numbers, or getting the tape measure out on the trails.

Good for a newbie as a starting point perhaps though.

I'd just stick to leg straight with your heel on the pedal at 6 o clock.
    MTB/CX

• Splottboy
    If you "guess" it could cause problems.
    I took my seatpost out on Sunday to drive back from Beddgelert Forest.

Put it back in yesterday, but lazily, and on ride had knee pain within 15 mins.
    Adjusted the saddle to correct height, took about 5 secs, and pain gone...
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    That measuring system can give you a good starting point, but obviously being a roadie system it's not perfect. As mtbers, we obviously spend a lot less time in the saddle than roadies and move about loads more, so you've got to allow for that and find a comfy medium and full sus throws another big variable in as well. I've got a graduated seatpost on one bike, so if I dropped the saddle I just knew to put it back to roughly the same height again. It was also useful as a starting point for set up when I got my new bike.

Mf-Racing - You don't need to touch the floor on any bike. BMXs and DH bikes might have really low saddles, but that's because they want to have lots of clearance to move about over the bike and they don't need to sit and pedal for long periods.
  • HebdenBiker
    HebdenBiker Posts: 787
    That "You need to be able to touch the floor" thing is something they tell you when you're doing your Cycling Proficiency when you're eight. And for young children it's probably reasonable safety advice. But for adults it's very bad advice because your saddle will be far too low. Think about it. How can your leg achieve the required extension if it's also got to touch the feckin' floor? Unless your pedal scrapes along the ground as you ride, the two measurements are completely incompatible. It's got nothing to do with whether the bike is a FS or not.