very cold weather legwear

priory
priory Posts: 743
i set off from the notts rugby match on sunday in nylon longs, base layer , thin wool, fleece and windproof bomber jacket, gloves , hat, winter boots, After 20miles including 2000ft of climbs Icouldn't feel my feet .
Something else also froze.
So what is the best windproof warm longs for this sort of really cold weather?
I am not the sort to spend 350gbp on platinum foil lined assos gear by the way.

TerryJ
Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow

Comments

• LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    I use normal cycling shorts with leg warmers toped off with a pair of Ron Hill Bikester trousers.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    dhb bib longs
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    Scrumple wrote:
    dhb bib longs

I found them chilly at 3-4 degs with wndchill, and got some of the early winter Assos tights which turned out much warmer even down to 0 deg last weekend with windchill. They werent the full cold weather ones either, so can only imagine the uber expensive Assos full Airblock thingys will be really toasty.....and expensive!
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I have the new Endura waterproof and windproof bibtights but to be honest they are better for winter commuting as they are a bit restrictive and not tight enough fit for training in.
    The best bibtights I have for that weather are not the most expensive I have, Biemme A-Tex I paid £40 for them at Decathlon a couple of years ago, wish I actually got a couple of pair more :D
    Base layers I get from sports soccer £10 each, either umbro or the black L/S ones campri or something, also nike ones are good for £13. I then use a normal l/s jersey and top layer assos airblock.
    Normal socks and endura overshoes,
    I got loads of gloves from Tchibo about £7 each,.
    Hat, carera or similar name, and a Nike skull caps £10 each to go beneath helmet as I hate cold ears.
  • I've been using these during the last couple of months:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Gore_Bike_Wear_Vista_II_WINDSTOPPER_Unpadded_Tights/5360044599/

Brilliant, very comfortable. The windstopper panels on front really do stop the chill - even for 'something else'.

Got mine the sale at Evans for £55. Might be hard to track down now since it's getting to the end of the winter season (hopefully!), but worth chasing out.

You also mentioned cold feet, despite winter boots. Wind/water proof overshoes make a huge difference. I've also found sealskin socks quite effective at keeping out cold. Also good quality wicking socks (e.g. merino wool) will help keep you drier and warmer too.
  • Steve GT
    Steve GT Posts: 383
    When I do my commute I use the following clothing for the bottom half of my body
    bib shorts
    a Lusso Max repel bib tights
    Woolie Boolie merino wool socks
    Shimano winter boots.

I work in Copenhagen. I have not cycled in anything more that 1 deg C all year, most of the time it's around -3 and thats without the wind chill factor.
    My upper legs get a bit cool by the end of an hours commute, but my feet are always warm.
    As the previous poster stated merino wool socks that wick are very important. Also remember that if your shoes are too tight it will cut off blood circulation and that will also make your feet feel cold.
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I have used endura clip bib longs. These are lined and have neoprene ankle guards

Gore Action Windstopper tights are better however. I bought two pairs last year on end of line sale at Evans
  • All I wear are Adidas bib tights. I live up in the pennines. have cycled to where I work in Oldham in all weathers including the deep snow and blizzrds we had and they were fine. I didn't need anything else.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • NJA
    NJA Posts: 19
    Endura Stealth Tights get my vote - very warm and snug - waterproof too.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Giordana Body Clone Windfront Pad Bib Tights E578--- have worked to -5 c this winter , (better than Assos 851s and half the price).
    + Sealskin socks with Endura overshoes , silk gl;ove liners and heavy overgloves ahs kept me OK this winter

But now its Spring :D , so put away winter stuff and enjoy!!