looking for best route from huddersfield to bridlington

paul.k
paul.k Posts: 90
edited March 2010 in Tour & expedition
looking for best route from huddersfield to bridlington was thinking wakefield on towards selby then picking up the a614
any suggestions ot local information as to trafic /conditions.
http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... 2061824107

Comments

• bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • v718
    v718 Posts: 26
    just after mile 25 head toward sherburn in elmet towards Cawood after head toward Riccall south for about 2 miles on the A19 quite busy but turn left where mile marker 40 on your route is. Then head toward mile marker 45 on your map is then do a left in the village of foggathorpe towards laytham right to seaton ross you can follow this on the map and it will keep you off all the main roads. After Seaton Ross the village of bielby will be sign posted go to there and then head toward pocklington a nice little market town with a few tea rooms good for a cafe stop!!

After coming out of Pocklington heading signed towards Bridlington on the B1246 take a left towards Millington after Millington through a scenic valley up towards Huggate take the left fork as you can see on the map, then not far after, a right to Tibthorpe head towards kirkburn and into Driffield out of the town signed Bridlington on the A614 for a while you come to the B1249 north for about 2 miles and then turn right to kilham this keeps you off the A614 its not a nice road too much traffic, after there you rejoin the A614 in Bridlington then follw the signs for Flamborough your end point. This might be a bit further but a better route with some great scenery if you need any further details just ask.
    Winners often leave behind some damage!!!
  • paul.k
    paul.k Posts: 90
    thank you ,you cannot beat local knowledge
  • Trans-pennine trail might do the job!

there is a website promoting it and from what I can see you might be able to cut corners off it at certain points possibly ?

Ive done the hull to hornsea bit and its perfect single track.

you can even get a cyclebus from Hornsea to Bridlington, if your legs are a tad tired out.
    'since the flaming telly's been taken away, we don't even know if the Queen of Englands gone off with the dustman'.
    Lizzie Birdsworth, Episode 64, Prisoner Cell Block H.
  • Tim Farr
    Tim Farr Posts: 665
    Trans pennine trail at the nearest point for you - Hull - Hornsea. You're almost there!!
    T Farr
  • v718
    No Hornsea is not nearly there, its another 35 miles on the coast road!!! If he wants to do it in a relatively easy day and a scenic ride then the best way is the way I suggested above.
  • Tim Farr
    v718 - you are mistaken, the distance from Hornsea to Bridlington is not 35 miles. My road atlas has it as 15 miles.
    T Farr
  • AA route planner has it as 14.8 miles from Hornsea to Bridlington - there is a cycle bus that can take you this last part of the journey.

possibly paul.k could take all our ideas suggested and make up their own route?

good luck and enjoy! 8)
    'since the flaming telly's been taken away, we don't even know if the Queen of Englands gone off with the dustman'.
  • v718
    Actually we are all wrong because the ride plotted by paulk the ride finishes at Flamborough which is approx 21.66 from Hornsea but then all of you missed the point of staying away from the main roads!!! Except for the cycle track that takes you in the wrong direction. How many of you have cycled through Hull on a Friday afternoon with the ferry traffic next to the trans pennine route!!

Paulk if you do the ride and take my route let me know how you get on.

1footedninja - Why on earth would you want to take the bloody cycle bus the last part when the ride was from Huddersfield to Brid/Flamborough if your going to do a ride then do the ride.

Are you from the south?
  • Tim Farr
    You are mistaken v718. I've cycled thru Hull loads of times - no probs. Trans Pennine is 80% off road traill, 19% minor roads and 1% major roads (admittedly in Hull). Definitely infinitely more off road than your minor road route. Am I from the South? Yes - south bank of the Humber.
    T Farr
  • v718 - How astute of you to notice that we are all wrong - I stand corrected.

A cycle bus is there for people to use regardless of how long a ride you do - its called personal informed choice. Personally if I'm feeling tired and there just so happens to be a bus there that I can use and I have the monies to use it then I'm gonna use it!

I don't quite get your quote :
    How many of you have cycled through Hull on a Friday afternoon with the ferry traffic next to the trans pennine route!!

because when I cycled this route from the Humber Bridge it was single off road track mixed with minor roads then to roads which were busy when I was around the area of Gipsyville on the Hessle Road but then I soon took a turning off that took me round the back end of Hull past the multi-storey flats then thru a busy again centre of town then onto canal paths and then single track and knowhere near any main roads such as the A63 that your comment infers to by mentioning 'ferry traffic'.

Does it matter where I am from? Suffice to say I'm a curious mix of typical English absurdity.
  • v718
    Astute 1nja so you come into a bike forum and take the bus if you’re tired!!! Get a grip!!!

You know there are lots of trains that take bikes as well so why don't you go and do the lejog on a train or even better on a bus, if you're a pensioner they are free you know. They can take you from county to county in fact why bother to take the bike at all its a great way to get around the bus you know!!! You get really fit climbing those stairs especially if its a double decker.

side note - I didn't know there were canals in Hull I always thought they where drains, come to think of it I never once saw a canal boat on there, well maybe I did once at Beverley the posh end!!!

You try getting through Gipsyville when Birds Eye kick out and I would give you a 10% chance of survival, if and the word is definitely if, you get past there you then have to go past the Gipsyville Tavern I would give 2-3% chances of survival at best .

Do you know Blakey by the way? I think he still works for the East Riding bus company EYMS give him a nod the next time you're on the buses!!!!
  • Absolutely I take the bus, just because this is a cycle forum doesn't mean I don't use other forms of transport too especially when I'm cycle touring but then I guess I'm not re-inventing the wheel yeh?

Actually I'm planning on doing the JoGLE but by my own route which takes in the Lon Las Cymru and intend to use the train on parts if I get tired which is my personal preference - wag your finger and shake your head all you want - LOL.

I know of some old people who do just what you mention and think its a great way of travel, they even jump on a bike now and again also, so as much as you poke fun, your actually bang on the money.

Your right about the 'canals' around certain areas of Hull , its the same in other parts of the country also, especially around inner city areas. And yes! it does seem to be the posher ends of places where they tend to be well maintained. Saying that though Sheffield is doing a good job of maintaining the city centre part of their canal system.

I've done factory work myself mate and guess your right! I doubt I would stand a chance against women smelling of breadcrumbs , cackling away at me and talking about the next bingo game down at the Gala.

I've been to bigger 5hitholes and live in one and survived - somehow.

I don't know Blakey but I'm sure I will 'give him a nod' - if I remember anyway.

Now where's my bus pass......