RYEDALE RUMBLE 8th August

bobh
bobh Posts: 163
Apologies to riders waiting for the on-line entries to open for the Rumble, the latest update is that they should be available from the 16th March :? . We'll re-confirm on this nearer the date. In the meantime you can download entry forms from the website www.ryedalerumble.co.uk for postal entries :)

Bob Howden
Organiser

Comments

• bobh
    Online entries are now available for the Ryedale Rumble on the 8th August at: [url]www.ryedalerumble.co.uk Sorry for the wait.

Three distances: 111 miles, 71.1 miles and 48.6 miles

Bob Howden[/url]
  • bobh
    If you are trying to enter on line at the moment there's a temporary hitch. We've been told that a fire at the BT Exchange has taken out the links. All existing transactions are safe but it might be a couple of days before we are back taking online entries.....just when it was going so well!

Bob Howden
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    i intend enterring this, just waiting for someone to confirm they'll do it as well
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • I'm doing it :D
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    Me too, it's a cracking event. 20min off 1st finisher last year. 2 punctures scuppered it! The big 'un is a proper day out!

See y'all in August.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Considering the two smaller ones...
    I know the place well and have walked most of it as a kid many times. Know a lot of the farmers.
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    And the sheep too i bet.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Yes - and so I'll have more friends cheering me on than you lot !
    old flames....
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Ewe lot - Check

Sorry to assault this thread,i shall go now.
  • blinddrew
    blinddrew Posts: 317
    tempted, very tempted. Also prepared to be very embarrassed about taking a very nice bike on the short run! javascript:emoticon(':oops:')
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • bobh
    Reliably informed that online entry is now back to normal.

Regards

Bob Howden
  • bigal.
    bigal. Posts: 479
    Is there a list up yet for riders who have entered. I sent a cheque approx 5 weeks ago but have not heard anything back.
  • Is there a list up yet for riders who have entered. I sent a cheque approx 5 weeks ago but have not heard anything back.

Me too.

Though to be fair it was about 3 weeks. :? :? :?
  • bobh
    List not up yet....with the online entry system being delayed we've held this back. The first list is likely to be uploaded next weekend.

Bob Howden
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just back from my annual trip to Flamingoland, as per the norm I took the bike and escaped the family on a few occasions.......

I wanted to revisit Caper Hill in Glaisdale to find out if the climb was really as tough as I first thought...last year I had unwittingly ventured up this and had presumed a easy trundle...I near died!

You can read about my casual approach from last year here:-

http://www.sportivecentral.com/index.ph ... 335&page=2

This year I gave Caper Hill utter respect...and no wonder!...the climbs a total beast....its so damn steep from start to finish...and even with major respect I had 'doubting moments' of a successfull ascent?....A few days afterwards I did Rosedale Chimney and Blakey Bank again so I could compare...no comparison....Caper Hills way,way tougher.....in fact no other climb in all Yorkshire has asked such questions....Chimney,Boltby Bank, Blakey, Sleights Moor, Park Rash, Fleetmoss, Oxnop etc:- all very serious undertakings for sure and my nerves are jangling on approach but Caper Hills a level above IMO.

The Ryedale Rumbles a true challenge...up there with the FWC...it was bad enough with Botlby,Blakey & the Chimney...but now with Caper Hill aswell....a real accomplishment even finishing.

Long may the Ryedale Rumble continue...the NY Moors are tremendous cycling terrain..and hopefully next year gorgeous Bransdale can be reinstated.

A wee read of the Ryedale Rumble Reccy before Caper Hill was included can be read here:-

http://www.sportivecentral.com/index.ph ... 314&page=3
  • bobh
    Rich

Ah the old "just been on a trip to Flamingoland" routine, "just found another haf dozen 1 in 3's that only the sheep know". Well you've been RUMBLED mate, we have enough climbs now thank you, rumour has it that thanks to you the Ordnance Survey are now heading out to Glaisdale to put some more ink on the maps.

If the Volcano ruins my flight plans for the next few weeks I'll be heading up there to check the state of the roads. That's a day out in itself and I'm in the car!
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    Bob,

I rode Bransdale, Church Houses, Blakey Ridge, Castleton, Fryupdale, Rosedale on Saturday, the roads are fine, the odd minor hole here & there but generally in good nick.

Unlike my calves.
  • bobh
    That's good to know, particularly as I won't be able to get up there next week, off to China & Oz instead, volcanoes willing.
  • bobh
    Getting the feed stations right is a big focus for us on the Rumble. If any riders have special diets...gluten free etc please email me after entry: bobhowden@grasscrete.com and we'll arrange food for you.

Bob H
  • tc01947
    tc01947 Posts: 2
    The road between egton bridge and stape is supposed to be closed don't know how long for!, All the signs are out. It is still passable by bike and car at the moment but the section of road between the 2 fords is bad.
  • bobh
    I've checked with North Yorkshire Highways and the work is nearly complete so shouldn't be a problem. The next set of road works due to start within next few weeks will be in Ampleforth and that might cause a slight detour to Rumble 3 if they aren't complete. :?
  • bobh
    If you're thinking of entering the RUMBLE but not sure of the area or the roads then why not head out to Helmsley in advance on the 6th June. That's the day of the Ryedale Grand Prix Premier Calendar Road Race always a great race in a splendid backdrop with the start and finish at Duncombe Park Stately Home in Helmsley where we are also holding the North Yorkshire Schools Mountain Bike Champs and a Summer Cyclo-Cross.... hopefully see you there!