road tryes

spangled123
spangled123 Posts: 18
edited March 2010 in MTB general
hi can anyone tell me how much difference having road tyres on my rockhopper would make?only ask as have to start a 30 round trip every other day at start of april and wondered if it would be noticeable?love my rockhopper and with road tyres would also look good.also can anyone tell me if the pedal straps that have seen for sale are really any good or not?thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    very noticeable. get them.

straps are the work of the devil.

but without links we have no idea what you have seen.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Changing from knobblies to slicks will make a massive difference, easier to pedal and you can go further in less time.
    Deffo worth it on the road|!
  • antshybrid
    antshybrid Posts: 139
    ive got a remedy 8 and i do evening rides on the local roads around where i live. i swop the maxxis tyres for a set of semi slick road tyres and the difference they make are amazing. alot lighter and alot less rolling resistance on the road make for a nice quick session. do a local route you know well on your existing tyres and time yourself then swop over to the road tyres the next time you do the same route. you will be plaesantly surprised at how different the times will be!! :shock:
  • thanks for all the replies and will definately be buy a pair now then if its noticeable.the cycle straps are the ones they have for sale in evans bike shop.they go across the peddle from one corner to another .
  • john74
    john74 Posts: 254
    i would reccommend scwalbe marathon+ tyres fast rolling and virtually puncture proof but pressures have to be alot higher so it will be a little bit of a harsher ride.

forget straps they are horrible. try clipless pedals such as shimano m540s and a nice pair of touring/mtb shoe. easy to use. i dont know how i managed before i made the jump to clipless.
    2010 Forme Reve
    2010 Giant Talon 1
  • hi johhn someone else was on about those and have had a look on a couple of sites at them.the ones i was looking at were the big apple tyre as also love the tread pattern.sad i know but think with the bike itll look good still.will look into the peadl bit ,i was just hoping that maybe somewhere there would be a way of still wwearing my trainers when get of the bike rather than having to change them as seen to many mtb shoes that cant wear other than on the bike .got to start a bi daily 30m round trip to work at start of next mth so just wanted to make it a little easier hehe.am doing at moment about 100m a week but thats over 7 days rather than 3.
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    another pair of tyres to consider, that i use are the maxxis xenith 1.5 which is a slick but ive found incredibly grippy. but dont go all out on a sweeping big roundabout when its full on raining as i havnt got that far in testing mine.
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    +1 for the Big Apples.
    They are wide but great commuting tyres. I've got them on my commuter MTB, photos can be seen here
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    I had Halo twin rails before. They're fast rolling on tarmac and have a bit of grip if like me you commuted over some loose stuff as well. Now I just have a cheap singlespeed road bike that cost me not much more than a couple of sets of tyres and the halos have gone to a family member.
  • ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    hi can anyone tell me how much difference having road tyres on my rockhopper would make?only ask as have to start a 30 round trip every other day at start of april and wondered if it would be noticeable?love my rockhopper and with road tyres would also look good.also can anyone tell me if the pedal straps that have seen for sale are really any good or not?thanks

No it wouldn't. While putting on a pair of Continental Gator Skins will make you quicker the last thing they will do is look good.

And I should know...I commuted on my 905 for a few weeks while waiting for my cyclescheme voucher to turn up and it just made the bike look silly.

Practical...but silly.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • bluehelmet
    bluehelmet Posts: 156
    I got a pair of these for the commute into Newcastle. £6.95 each. Bargain. Although fitting can be a pain or maybe that's just my rims.

If the trip is completely on tarmac get some slicks - it'll save you time and energy on the commute meaning you get to stay in bed later! :D
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    another vote for the big apples (got them on my about-to-be-slightly-smartened-up rat bike) - slick enough to be quick enough in the blacktop and fat enough to look OK (ish) on an MTB frame

slainte 8) rob