About to start commuting

Paul E
Paul E Posts: 2,052
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
I moved down here last August and now have settled into my new job etc and finally got around to buying a road bike (even though it's still up in south west Scotland, that's a small glitch though) and have sorted out where to store it at work (bit complicated but I work 4 days a week two in one place two in another) I am able to cycle in for two of the days, the other two I have no place to store the bike.

Anyway, I am based in SE London just off shooters hill and was wondering if anyone knew of any good routes into the west end where I work.

Cheers
Paul

Comments

• R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    Hi & welcome!

Check out the Silly Commuter Racing (SCR) Thread, and you'll meet quite a few people that fly around your way.
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • Paul E
    R_T_A wrote:
    Hi & welcome!

Check out the Silly Commuter Racing (SCR) Thread, and you'll meet quite a few people that fly around your way.

Thanks, I think I will need to build up to any racing on my commute, I used to when up in Birmingham but I am no where near as fit at the moment...
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Welcome, welcome!

Don't worry about the actual racing part, well, not too much, it's a great motivator to push yourself and up your speed and fitness. Also check out the SC Stats for similar motivation!

I'm afraid I don't know that area at all, but somebody will. A post in Silly Commuting Racing may also help.

Wondering what your FCN is? Click the link in my signature!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Rich158 goes through there I think
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Paul E
    Trouble is I tend to get very competitive on a bike whatever I am doing, so for the first few weeks I am going to have to exercise a lot more self control than normal...

Thanks for the advice, have posted on that thread now.

Ahh yes that's how I worked mine out, not sure if it's too high for my current state of fitness/health though lol
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Welcome, Welcome.

Pull up a chair and here's your beer.

Share stories, give or ask advice we are all a friendly bunch. Morpeth Pub on Friday's and occasional weekend rides.

What? Yeah, she's single.... :shock:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Paul E
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Rich158 goes through there I think

ahh cool so I'm not in deserted part of london when it comes to commuting into the centre, phew

Yeah I would be up for weekend rides, dont always have saturdays off though which is a pain but cool yeah
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Paul E wrote:

Yeah I would be up for weekend rides, dont always have saturdays off though which is a pain but cool yeah

Threads appear from time to time about these as well as the Silly Commuter Sportive thread (to appease your competitive side) and Social weekend rides thread.

Also where does your commute start and finish? Perhaps you overlap into other peoples commutes.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • markshaw77
    markshaw77 Posts: 437
    Just posted a route in SCR Thread, as I come in from Dartford via Shooters Hill, but here is is again for info
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/18535948

Good luck with the commute and welcome to the game!!
  • Welcome to the fold :-)

Another cyclist joins the commuting ranks <evil laugh> :D
  • Paul E
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Threads appear from time to time about these as well as the Silly Commuter Sportive thread (to appease your competitive side) and Social weekend rides thread.

Also where does your commute start and finish? Perhaps you overlap into other peoples commutes.

Have posted on the SCR thread and looks like mine does overlap with other peoples.

Thanks for all the welcomings, I was starting to get withdrawal symptoms after cycling into work for many years in Birmingham and the trains, ohh the trains, it was starting to feel like a steel coffin...
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    I go from Hither Green to the City, via Deptford, Evelyn Road, Jamaica Road, but you may be better off going up the Old Kent Road. Whereabouts in the West End, or more importantly which bridge are you aiming to cross?
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Welcome to SE London! I commute from Brockley quite near you. I drop down Pepys Rd in Telegraph Hill onto New Cross Rd then up Old Kent Rd. There are other routes that head through the side roads but OKR is a fast blast along bus lanes mostly. I turn at Bricklayers Arms and through Bermondsey St and across London Bridge...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Paul E
    Canny Jock wrote:
    I go from Hither Green to the City, via Deptford, Evelyn Road, Jamaica Road, but you may be better off going up the Old Kent Road. Whereabouts in the West End, or more importantly which bridge are you aiming to cross?

Not sure which bridge to go across, it's all about the same distance, it's just whats easiest and safest really. The evelyn road jamaica road way looks like a decent route as it's a bit further north. Shaftsbury Avenue is where I need to get to in the West End
  • Paul E
    Welcome to SE London! I commute from Brockley quite near you. I drop down Pepys Rd in Telegraph Hill onto New Cross Rd then up Old Kent Rd. There are other routes that head through the side roads but OKR is a fast blast along bus lanes mostly. I turn at Bricklayers Arms and through Bermondsey St and across London Bridge...

That looks like another good route too, will have to try all of these when I can during days off and see which one works best for me. I would rather try and keep my speed up than do stop start.

On the road as I used to commute most fo the time on canal towpath I used to be able to average on my rockhopper 19 mph with a few stops and starts, that was logged using my garmin etrex gps (not that good), but I have no idea what I can do on a road bike.
  • Paul E, wait till Porgy spots this thread - he commutes from Bexley (the dark side of Shooters Hill) into town, though maybe he crosses the river earlier than you'll want to on the way in.
  • Riatsala
    Riatsala Posts: 44
    I start nearer to town than you, Greenwich. If I were you I would probably do the A2 then cross Greenwich Park along Creek Road to Deptford, Evelyn Rd, cut through Southwark Park then Jamacia Rd to London Bridge. I then go round the back of Borough Market , Southwark Street then Upper Ground (behind the Oxo Tower) up onto Waterloo Bridge then cut through Covent Garden to Shaftsbury Ave.

I hope that helps