Advice on bikes, cycling from amsterdam to croatia

Joolez
Joolez Posts: 4
edited March 2010 in Tour & expedition
Hi

Any tips on bikes for the trip? Mostly on roads I think heading through Holland, Belgium, France, Italy, little corner of Slovenia then Croatia

I was thinking a hybrid of some sort, with front suspension maybe and an extra comfy seat!

looking to spend around 350-500

any suggestions welcome for sort of thing I should be looking for, specific parts to whole bikes, bit of a novice with all the jargon and which are the best makes for suspensions etc etc

done a bit of shopping around but even more confused now, so much choice!

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Touring mostly on roads I wouldn't bother lugging a pair of sus forks around. Something like this from Dawes would be better for the job. Designed for long days in the saddle drop bars you can vary your hand positions on.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • BE1
    BE1 Posts: 27
    Welcome :D

I would agree with Neil about the front suspension. For the saddle bwware something that feels comfy (soft) over a few miles can give you hell over a long day, but it is very hard to give definative device:for example some people love Brookes saddles otheres hate them.

A little more information on you and the trip would help. Are you Amsterdam based or in the UK. (this may impact on availability of bikes especially drop bared bikes). Will you be camping or using hostels (this may be a factor in how strong a load carrier you need). Do you have good mechanicals skills? (useful if you decide to build up an old mountain bike as a tourer).

There are lots of very helpful and experienced toureres on here so the more of an idea they have about your needs the more advice you'll get.

Oh yes, low gears will be good as at some point there will be a few steep hills :)
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    The only thing I can suggest is that you change your route to go through Hungary. Budapest is an absolutely amazing (and very large) city. Loads to see and do and good nightlife, loads of great cafes and bars and museums and exhibitions (and soviet exhibitions if you like that sort of thing, including a big park where they put all the old soviet statues after the collapse of the soviet union), excellent, and very cheap food, incredibly friendly people and best of all, loads of bikes and bike shops!

Slovakia is nice in the north - I stayed at Lake Bled which is really picturesque and charming. Zadar in Croatia and the old town is beautiful. There's also a market on every day where you can get really delicious fish and other seafood (it's worth staying in a self catered place in Croatia - all the restaurants I went to were very disappointing especially considering how expensive they were). It also has a Sea Organ and constellation map thing which is quite interesting. And you can swim in the sea! And obviously, Dubrovnik is great.

Slovenia and Slovakia weren't so great though. I've only stayed in one place in Slovenia and three in Slovakia and found them all quite dull (Lake Bled aside). I suppose when cycling you just want something very relaxing, though.
  • Joolez
    Ok so I am UK based in Manchester if anyone knows any good local bike shops, went to Edinburgh cycles and the guy was very unhelpful and gave me very funny looks when I said what my trip involved!

Were planning to camp, getting tiny tent, have very lightweight sleeping bag, and three of us will be splitting the weight of cooking equipment (very basic obs) Will be traveling as light as possible two days worth of clothes if I'm lucky!

Think I am just torn between racer (which my friends are taking) and a hybrid as it will be more adaptable for future trips etc

Yeah were headin to Zadar, not exactly quiet though, we are cycling to Croatia for Outlook music festival, swimming, sunshine and reggae! perfect combo
  • Joolez
    Oh forgot...
    I do not have good mechanical skills, but could pull in a few favours, think I just fancy new bike to be honest.

Also has anyone used butterfly handle bars, been looking at them and they seem very practical for long distance.