Giving Blood then SCR'ing

Clever Pun
Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
I'm giving blood tonight and am I potentially going to be experiencing a drop in form tomorrow morning?

Do I need to ride the brompton in to avoid embarrassment?

Anyone have any experience of this?
Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
Fixed Pista- FCN 5
Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14

Comments

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I'm giving blood tonight and am I potentially going to be experiencing a drop in form tomorrow morning?

Anyone have any experience of this?

If it's your first time -take it easy that night. You'll probably be fine by the morning tho'
  • Clever Pun
    I've given blood before but I can't remember about cycling the next day.. I guess just a good feed and I'll be alright
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • markshaw77
    markshaw77 Posts: 437
    By the morning, you should be pretty much fine - take it easy for an hour or so afterwards, eat and drink well in the evening and you should be good to go in the morning

I find I am not fully back to top form for about 48 hrs, but it is just a slightly-heavy legged feeling with a bit of missing top-end power rather than anything that prevents some decent scalping

HTH
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I've given blood before but I can't remember about cycling the next day.. I guess just a good feed and I'll be alright

Yes, that is my experience.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    You'll make the blood volume up quickly by taking on liquid, but it takes longer to replace the red blood cells, which are what get the oxygen to the muscles - hence less oomph.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    You'll probably be fine, but it's possible you may not be at full SCR prowess.

When I was marathon training it took me a day or so to get right back to it, but that could be just me :oops:
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Should be fine by the next day.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    should try giving blood and then cycling 8 miles afterwards; was an interesting journey!

By the morning though, no difference at all
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    I've given blood a few times now, and ride the 20 miles home 3 hrs or so later.

I haven't noticed any drop in performance, but have been careful to eat a few biccies and drink plenty to avoid any wobbly moments (just in case).
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • I've given blood at lunchtime and cycled home that evening (on several occasions). No biggie, although I did take it easier just in case. Just remember that if you are on the Brompton but in full SCR regalia, then you're fooling no-one. Best put the lycra in your bag and ride home in your suit (or whatever).

(There was also the time I was flying long-haul the day after giving blood. The nurse said that would be fine as long as I didn't drink that night. Little did she know I was staying at my in-laws that night as they live close to Gatwick - and they got me absolutely lashed as usual. :lol: )
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • Clever Pun
    I've given blood at lunchtime and cycled home that evening (on several occasions). No biggie, although I did take it easier just in case. Just remember that if you are on the Brompton but in full SCR regalia, then you're fooling no-one. Best put the lycra in your bag and ride home in your suit (or whatever).

(There was also the time I was flying long-haul the day after giving blood. The nurse said that would be fine as long as I didn't drink that night. Little did she know I was staying at my in-laws that night as they live close to Gatwick - and they got me absolutely lashed as usual. :lol: )

I'm always in at least baggies or jeans on the brompton..
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun wrote:

How's that work, then? :wink:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    I asked the same question once on one of the road forums once and the consensus was that it shouldn't make a difference - although when you read the giving blood small print it seems your red blood count does drop and stays lowered for a while afterwards - several weeks in fact...if I understood it correctly. :? Any docs in the house?
    Still worth it for the tea, biccies and Nurses..
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • bigease
    bigease Posts: 86
    I am a platelet donor, and I consciously take it very easy afterwards. I also notice that my ride in the next day is always a little slower, but by the evening I am fine.
    Specialized Single Cross: FCN +4 IMAGE

Trek Madone 5.2: FCN +3 IMAGE
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    bigease wrote:
    I am a platelet donor, and I consciously take it very easy afterwards. I also notice that my ride in the next day is always a little slower, but by the evening I am fine.

I've thought about giving platelets but haven't done so yet - is it very different from giving the red stuff?
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • bigease
    The biggest difference is the time involved. It takes around 1.5 hours to give platelets and they like you to do it once every 4 weeks, as platelets only have a 5 day shelf life. The biggest thing is the amount of people you can help with each donation is much higher.

I'd say give it a go if you can.

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Interesting, the platelets thing. I've just been flagged up as having the right sort of blood (blue? dunno) and am currently waiting for the confirmation that they want it. They do pretty much insist on you donating on a regular basis - every 4 weeks.

Re giving blood - I've donated in the past and then cycled off to the squash court to be on the end of a good beating. That's normal though, nothing to do with the blood loss. At worst you'll feel a bit low on energy & stamina for a few hours.
  • Clever Pun
    Greg66 wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

How's that work, then? :wink:

pretty well.. most people are too shocked to take the pi$$, plus overtaking bikes much higher up the ladder breaks their spirits
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun
    I asked the same question once on one of the road forums once and the consensus was that it shouldn't make a difference - although when you read the giving blood small print it seems your red blood count does drop and stays lowered for a while afterwards - several weeks in fact...if I understood it correctly. :? Any docs in the house?
    Still worth it for the tea, biccies and Nurses..

last time the nurses all looked a little more like Bernard
    250px-Blackadder_2_nursie.jpg
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Drinking Guinness after giving blood will help restore your iron levels.

It also gets you drunk rather quickly.

Allegedly.
    Misguided Idealist
  • Clever Pun

Allegedly.

it makes sense in that 1 pint of booze will have a more significant effect on a bloodstream of 7 rather than 8 pints surely
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Clever Pun wrote:

Allegedly.

it makes sense in that 1 pint of booze will have a more significant effect on a bloodstream of 7 rather than 8 pints surely

Indeed !

I missed the :wink:

This approach to economical drinking was much favoured when I was at uni. It's rumoured that in some parts of Ireland you used to get given a pint of Guinness to revive you after giving blood, but I was at uni in Belfast and we had to buy our own :-(
    Misguided Idealist
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    If you're training hard then you will probably notice a difference studies have found that you loose about 6% at a sub maximal effort for about 8 weeks. Also I believe you would not suffer the same effect from platelet donation because they do not remove any red blood cells.
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    It's rumoured that in some parts of Ireland you used to get given a pint of Guinness to revive you after giving blood, but I was at uni in Belfast and we had to buy our own :-(

That rumour was true, and not just in parts of Ireland, Guinness was offered after a donation anywhere. I say 'was' as it was supplied by Diageo (the drinks company that owns Guinness) and they withdrew that support late last year. The IBTS decided that spending tax payers money on Guinness combined with a potential lowering of the drink-drive alcohol limits meant it was not something they should keep doing.
  • bigease
    e999sam wrote:
    If you're training hard then you will probably notice a difference studies have found that you loose about 6% at a sub maximal effort for about 8 weeks. Also I believe you would not suffer the same effect from platelet donation because they do not remove any red blood cells.

I do agree that platelet donation does not affect me in the same way that whole blood donation used to, I definitely feel some effect the next morning (although that could be all in my head!).

• Clever Pun
    legs felt very tired today, that might also have been the stupid headwind

didn't get scalped and I took 3 so not too bad, although given how my legs are feeling I might skip the gym today
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5