Who the blinking bloody flip

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Said it was getting warmer??? :shock:

Come on, come on. Own up.

Who was it?

I'm going to find you, and visit you and shove the flaming icicles hanging off my house up your misguided bottom. See if I don't.

-5.5 This morning!!! :shock: :shock:

Holy Hellfire (I wish)

Surprising number of cyclists out though. Fully wrapped up... I bet there were none of these "Oh yeah, I cycle in t-shirt and shorts when Mercury freezes" brigade out and about....
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,373
    That's it, no more recycling.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Saw a shorted cyclist today but he passed some lights on the change and I didn't get a chance to see how wierd he was.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    i was out in 3/4 bibs and no over shoes on sunday..... 30 miles in i could not feel anything below the knees...
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Was a balmy -3C here this morning. Positively scorchio compared with last week.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    That's why I'm not going out until later (gotta love working from home). It's still cold early in the morning but quite pleasant once the sun has had time to heat the place up.

I may even risk going jacket-less today :shock:
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Set off this morning in:

Base Layer
    Roubiax Tights
    Duuble layer LS jersey
    Windstopper Jacket
    Windstopper Buff
    Windstopper hat
    Helmet
    Long finger gloves
    Windstopper over gloves
    Socks
    Sealskin socks
    Goretex MTB boots

By the time I was halfway though my journey I had shed the gloves, hat, jacket, buff and base.

It was bloody cold when I left the house, but obviously by body fat is still to high.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Was a balmy -3C here this morning. Positively scorchio compared with last week.

The thing is - you're Scottish. This makes you weird by default.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    It was bloody cold here, it was about 2C this morning. I couldn't feel my toes by the time I got in, aqnd even found some ice on Shooters Hill :shock:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    Saw a few 'Scottish' people this morning as well. One in shorts and t-shirt, and one with no gloves. Started off at -3˚C and warmed up to around -1˚C on this morning's commute.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    Was beautifully clear here this morning, and yes, chuffing cold. I found several fascinating patches of ice on a steep downhill, so interesting was the first one in fact, that I decided to take a closer look. Happily I landed on old injuries from last time I had an off (2 weeks ago, I must really enjoy this falling off lark) so there were no additional wounds, just a refresh of the old ones.

Call me a pansy but I walked the rest of the way down this hill
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • Went out yesterday, full thermals but no over shoes.

2 hours later, back at home and my feet were pure agony.

The kids thought it would help to try and jump on them :shock:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Made the mistake yesterday of not wearing a hat under the helmet - s*it that was cold - problem was the faster I went the colder the top of my head :oops:

Oh yes and the ice - particularly on bends at the bottom of a fast downhill :cry:
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I saw a few shorts-wearing cyclists this morning, but it was 1C. Positively tropical. There are a fair few more cyclists on the roads in the morning now that the sun's out, despite the fact that it's almost sub zero. Even my boss cycled in this morning - 1st time this year! Even though it was warmer a week or 2 ago - up to 5 or 6C. People are lulled into a false sense of security when the sun comes out...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I saw a few shorts-wearing cyclists this morning, but it was 1C. Positively tropical. There are a fair few more cyclists on the roads in the morning now that the sun's out, despite the fact that it's almost sub zero. Even my boss cycled in this morning - 1st time this year! Even though it was warmer a week or 2 ago - up to 5 or 6C. People are lulled into a false sense of security when the sun comes out...

Er............. :oops: I heard the weather report this morning as being 6C then wondered why my fingers froze inside silk and ski gloves :shock:

The rest of me was fine though breathing was a problem.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    So it's cold first thing... at least it's DRY! ...and daylight when I'm on the road.

This morning's commutes were lovely- sun just up, clear blue skies, low-fog over the river, sun catching the snow on the hills... Beautiful!

I could "put up" with weather like this for a long, long time :-)

Cheers,
    W.
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    I could too, in theory. It's just my bits that don't agree!
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    -6 up here and with no showers at work i wasnt comming out to play.
  • suzyb
    I've noticed a lot more cyclists around here as well. It seems the good weather has brought the roadies out to play :wink:
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    It was lovely this morning, -2 but dry and sunny - don't really feel the cold much except on my hands, but 2 pairs of gloves sorted that. Apart from that a merino base layer, showerproof jacket, 3/4 length baggies and merino sealskinz, and of course a buff to stop my face falling off.

Also saw more cyclists than I usually do - about 10 at the junction of Tooley Street and Tower Bridge Road, which is a good sprint start location.

Let's just all remember how horrible February was and rejoice!
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    I rode in wearing 3/4 short/tights on Friday, from the calf down I was bright pink on arrival, and in the shower it went all blotchy and itchy, can't be good :S

Will be wearing the same ones tomorrow but possibly with long socks covering up the calves... Brrrr. Top half is fine in baselayer + jersey, though.
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • suzyb
    I've found the bit of me left uncovered is fine it's my thighs and body, both under two layers of clothing that gets blotchy like that.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    edited March 2010
    I rode in expecting it to be a little warmer than it actually was. I even left my gloves at home.

Not looking forward to the cold ride home in the dark :?
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    Did the same yesterday, well actually took my fingerless gloves.
    Baad bad idea... :cry:
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • It was bitter this morning, probably the coldest my toes have felt this year & my bottle was completely iced up by the time I got to work.

Fantastic tonight though, although the low sun was making it hard to see at times.

I can't believe how much more enjoyable it is compared to even a few weeks ago, didn't even need lights to get home tonight.
  • Rich158 wrote:
    It was bloody cold here, it was about 2C this morning. I couldn't feel my toes by the time I got in, aqnd even found some ice on Shooters Hill :shock:
    Eltham Hill was interesting at 7am. A new hazard to take into account was the undulating strip of ice laid down by the streetsweeper :shock:

Toes not too bad here, and that's with just Lidl shoes and cheap sport socks. My, erm, 'well insulated' belly is the place I suffered when I showered :?
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    3/4 baggies and my spring gloves on Sunday 6am -7 on the gatehouse wall when I got to work. I was howling as I defrosted my fingers in tepid water enough to get my helmet undone.

car today and tomorrow for course and interview.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Span my rear wheel going up hill this evening. That's just frost ice. :(
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    3/4 baggies and my spring gloves on Sunday 6am -7 on the gatehouse wall when I got to work. I was howling as I defrosted my fingers in tepid water enough to get my helmet undone.

car today and tomorrow for course and interview.

:lol: Sorry.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Chicane-UK
    Chicane-UK Posts: 105
    Had a lovely Sunday morning ride around some backroads.. it was just about perfect in the sunshine but as soon as you went into shaded lanes, the temperature dropped and it was a bit too cold. Only had a couple of layers and bibshorts on though..

However got even more cold after a visit from the p******e fairy and spent 20 minutes at the side of the road with numb fingers trying to change the damn innertube and flighting with an asthmatic Blackburn Airstick SL...
    Planet X Nanolight High Modulus (Roadie) | 2008 Giant Bowery (Fixie)
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    Be warned - low sun = stupid blind drivers.

Got sidewalled this morning, ouch.
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif