Where to go from here....

Lady Venom
Lady Venom Posts: 213
edited March 2010 in Amateur race
OK so I've got my club membership and BC membership, what am I eligible to enter? I'm guessing you start at the bottom and work up? I'm looking to do 10mile TT and 50miler type races. Had a peruse around BC but doesn't massively explain where to start.
What class do newcomers go in?
My PBs are 27:03 for a 10mile, 1hr for 20 and 2:09 for 40miles. Regularly do around 28 on a 10mile as part of a longer ride.

Sorry for being a n00b! LV

Comments

• Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    Time Trials are CTT not BC, find some local club evening 10s... there should be plenty, then go on http://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/ and find open events.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Where abouts are you based? If you're anywhere near the Midlands then the Midlands Women's TT Series might be of interest to you:
    http://www.midlanddc.org.uk/index.php?q=node/350

There are a growing number of women of all abilities riding TTs in the Midlands and through the Series everyone is getting to know each other better and it's becoming more sociable......... but I guess it depends where you're based as to whether it's of interest.

Ruth
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Strictly speaking, your BC membership doesn't get you very far in terms of racing.

If you're going to race a LOT, then you'll want a racing licence also.

If you just want to try out a race, find one to enter, and you can buy a day licence. TT's are run by the CTT as mentioned so you're covered there.

Might want to search the race calendar on the BC website to find some road events close to where you are and have a go. If you like it/do well and want to do more - get a licence (you'll need a silver membership at least for this). If you only have Bronze - you can upgrade without having to buy a whole new one.

And good luck!!
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Like the other folk, I'm going to assume you're female, if you're not, then you can enter any race open to 4th cats or that are "go race". If you're a woman, you can enter just about any womens race you want (there's a few not open to you, but they're like the national championship) ideally you'll want to find a 3/4W race as that'll be the gentlest introduction. If you're in the South East - There's Goodwood on the 28th of March which is likely to have a pretty large turnout of new riders and is a very gentle introduction as a circuit being very wide and safe.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,544
    You can enter pretty much any CTT time trial (assuming your club is affiliated). In the event of oversubscription entrants are generally determined by best time in last 3 years (I think). A 27 is a perfectly respectable 10 mile TT time for a new rider, unless riding a very popular event (usually those on fast courses) I suspect you would get an entry.

My tips for racing in a TT are to get there in plenty of time and arrive a the start line with a good few minutes to spare. There's nothing worse than missing your start time or rushing up with 10 seconds to go. Shout your number to the time keeper as you finish, you don't want them missing you as you break your PB!! :lol:
  • Lady Venom
    Lady Venom Posts: 213
    Thanks for the tips, I fancy both a bit of TTing and Road Racing.... I got free Bronze membership with BC which is a provisional racing license, what does that mean? I'll guess I'll have to do the upgrade?
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Lady Venom wrote:
    Thanks for the tips, I fancy both a bit of TTing and Road Racing.... I got free Bronze membership with BC which is a provisional racing license, what does that mean? I'll guess I'll have to do the upgrade?

You can race on Bronze, but if you won;t score points. You need silver membership with race license to score points.

Ladies racing at Hog Hill (Essex) and MK Bowl at the moment.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Lady Venom wrote:

You can race with what you've got.

If you're good - you'll need to upgrade to collect and use any points you may get for top 10 finishes. Otherwise - just get out there and enjoy it
  • Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    Provisional licence only covers cloased road circuits, not races on the open roads IIRC. Although you could use a day licence if you wnat to try first.