Routes round the Quantocks?

bigpikle
bigpikle Posts: 1,690
I'm going to be visiting the Quantocks in April for a few days and will be taking my bike. I'm just wondering if anyone has any route recommendations for the area please? I did a quick Google search but it only seems to bring up MTB rides.

many thanks
Your Past is Not Your Potential...

Comments

• Hi there big pickle
    The whole area is good for cycling you dont have to restrict yourself to the quantocks as the hills around this area all mingle into one you can include a loop that includes Cothelstone hill and enmore which were used in the tour of Britain,and if you are feeling particularly fit climb up Crowcombe hill over the top of the quantocks over dead womens ditch and then do the same in reverse this route was used for day 3 of the tour of wessex.
    Have fun
    Rick Allison
    Taunton
  • bigpikle
    thanks Rick

I know the Crowcombe hill from driving DOWN it so dont think I'm quite ready to get up it yet :shock: I'll go and check out the other places you listed though.

I might take my MTB as well and try some of the fire roads and paths round there, as I've done a little walking there in the past and seen some great looking trails.
  • Westerberg
    Westerberg Posts: 652
    I'm sure there are some great routes a bit further west, into Exmoor. Porlock Hill and Dunkery Beacon spring to mind if you're a climber.
  • bigpikle
    Westerberg wrote:
    I'm sure there are some great routes a bit further west, into Exmoor. Porlock Hill and Dunkery Beacon spring to mind if you're a climber.

I live on the edge of the Chilterns but wouldnt describe myself as a climber. Probably a great reason to go and ride there! I did find an interesting route from Dunster but it had some serious climbs :shock:
  • Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    I used to do a loop Bridgwater, Glastonbury, Wells, Cheddar, Weston, Bridgwater.

Some nice sights along the way, mostl nice roads. The climb up the mendips (?) is nice and the decent down Cheddar Gorge is a laugh. Used to climb back up occaionally as well as it's a nice climb.

Other options are along the coast towards Porlock.
  • Brewsterwmb
    Brewsterwmb Posts: 145
    Bigpikle - you're right, take the mtb as well as there are stacks of routes up there on the ridge. Although not easy to find and easy to get lost! Get to Nether Stowey and go in from there...

Head for Triscombe Stone near Crowcombe at the Blue Ball pub (a great pub) and climb up to Triscombe Stone... ahahaa you will need more than a pint after that!

Road - I only know East of the Q's and anywhere around Hawkridge resv is great (and not that hilly)

enjoy where I grew up!

:D
    “Look where you want to go. Not where you are going”
  • bigpikle
    Bigpikle - you're right, take the mtb as well as there are stacks of routes up there on the ridge. Although not easy to find and easy to get lost! Get to Nether Stowey and go in from there...

Head for Triscombe Stone near Crowcombe at the Blue Ball pub (a great pub) and climb up to Triscombe Stone... ahahaa you will need more than a pint after that!

Road - I only know East of the Q's and anywhere around Hawkridge resv is great (and not that hilly)

enjoy where I grew up!

:D

I've walked up from the Blue Ball before and remember the climb! I have come up with a good circular route I think that climbs up to the ridge from the other side, DOWN to Crowcombe and then loops round via the reservoir back to Cannington where I'll be staying. Approx 30 miles with 2 killer climbs, so sounds like fun.

I have wanted to take the MTB to the picnic area with all the fire roads (Iforget the name) and cruise those roads and head up on the hill. This is the first time I'll be without all my family so can ride rather than walk 8)