bloody winter!

pip001
pip001 Posts: 133
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
its eaten my scott alive.now needs loads of work and bits.it was my first full winter commute.definitely going to have to get a cheapy for next winter.how did everybody else fair?

Comments

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Bike looks exactly as it did new 12 months ago..... wash and lube regularly
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    So far this winter has claimed a new chain and cassette, both wheels, a pair of tyres, 2 pairs of brake pads and several inner tubes. Steel frame has stood up well, but have had to keep an eye out for rust.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pip001
    pip001 Posts: 133
    mine was cleaned and lubed regulary. :cry: roadsalt,snow and ice killed it.gonna be an expensive easter.
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    My Ribble only needed 1 small part and that was caused by having too many bikes :D as opposed to the winter
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    fossyant wrote:

Obviously washing and lubing works best with added smugness :wink:
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    Both the old commuter and the new one are fine. Like the others have said cleaned and lubed regularly and they seem fine. P.s. how bloody cold was it this morning. Temp when I got into work read -5c.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    both wheels, chain, cassette, chainset, BB, brake blocks, front mech; rear mech may go shortly.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    My Scott's fared well, although the tar-like stuff in the local park was a pain to remove.

The crosser has been great, although the snow temporarily disabled the rear hub on my of wheels.

The mtb remains stuck in one gear. It's been outside for much of it, though. :oops:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    the commute bike, fine needs some new pads and the saddle is starting to rip,

the MTB and roadie get cleaned/oiled every ride in this weather.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    If you commute through the winter a hack bike is a great idea (it can also be used to leave in the city centre without too much stress), I've used my Spesh Hardrock pro, all I've done is lube the chain once a month and it keeps on rolling.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Mikelyons
    Mikelyons Posts: 154
    My main bike (Speciliazed Allez) was bought new last July & I wasn't too keen to ride it through winter.
    I wanted to keep riding so I converted my old hack bike into a single speeder.

Cost was about £30 - but that was kept down because I've reused various spare parts I've collected over the last few years.

Overall it's worked quite well - at first I was a fair bit slower but riding single-speed is good winter training.
    If you want to go fast - you have to up your cadence
    If you want to get up hills , you have to put some effort in .

The only thing that really needs attention is the brakes - I've had to adjust them once or twice each week .Not really a problem , I just adjust them when I oil the chain.

The Frame also has rust streaks everywhere & the whole bike looks a bit rubbish.
    I'll use it agains next winter - but I'm planning a full rebuild over the summer to include a repaint & new brakes.

When I get on the Allez now, it just feels so light
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

I'm not quite that good but chain is re-oiled at least every other time it gets wet and I clean the thing regularly. Some of the bolts have some surface corrosion but from a couple of feet away, a good clean has it looking and running like new.

This is the first full winter for it but I've not missed a day due to the weather and the bike has close to 2500 miles under its wheels. Used up one chain and most of a second. Not much else apart from brake pads.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    fossyant wrote:

So does mine, but without the washing bit.

Bob
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Rolf F wrote:

I'm not quite that good but chain is re-oiled at least every other time it gets wet and I clean the thing regularly. Some of the bolts have some surface corrosion but from a couple of feet away, a good clean has it looking and running like new.

This is the first full winter for it but I've not missed a day due to the weather and the bike has close to 2500 miles under its wheels. Used up one chain and most of a second. Not much else apart from brake pads.

it's worth noting the big green hybrid's drive chain is a black yucky mess, but it's a hack.

i do far less rides on the other two so can afford to sit and clean after a ride.