Darley Moor races

Pokerface
Pokerface Posts: 7,960
edited March 2010 in Amateur race
Just wondering if anyone rode Darley Moor yesterday (March 6).

If so - how was it? Usual winds no doubt - but what sort of numbers were there, etc.

Going next week - and heard there were a LOT of people in the 3/4 race.

Mayhem at the hairpin?

Comments

• JAnglesea
    JAnglesea Posts: 28
    I rode the 3/4 race yesterday. It was pretty windy as usual, although the wind was blowing more or less the opposite way to normal so the headwind was down the main straight.
    I think there were over 100 in the 3/4 race and to be honest I was fearing the worst with regard to crashes etc. A few people wobbling in the corners and 'apexing' the chicanes occasionally but nothing too bad that I saw.
    I did wonder if it might be better to have separate 3rd and 4th cat races with such a large field.
  • Hi Is that Darley near Harrogate?
    cheers
  • Pokerface
    Hi Is that Darley near Harrogate?
    cheers

NO - it's in Ashbourne. Derbyshire I think
  • Pokerface
    WHat was the pace like? Fast? Reasonable? Did the group stay together most of the way or split into smaller groups?

Every time I've been there in the past it's been a smaller starting field that has stayed together throughout until the final sprint, etc. And the pace was fast.
  • wheeler585
    wheeler585 Posts: 552
    Dont bother going pokerface, if you do take your winter bike and bring a death certificate!! Im going to have a bit of a rant here! Right i was at croft circuit the other week and kissed tarmac, as there were riders there who couldnt even ride in a straight line, so riding in a bunch is to much of a tall order for them! I had heavy road rash down one side scratched my new noah and my ego ha! Its not fair for the riders who spend a small fortune on there bikes and train heavily over winter, to have it all taken away, just because some riders just dont have the skill to ride in a straight line! Obviously this isnt totally there fault, the organisers should not allow 100+ riders to participate insuch events, that to be honest can hold 60 riders at one time!

Darley moor was the same this weekend, i almost packed in halfway through as it was just to sketchy in places, riders not holding there line, trying to hold wheels when there clearly not strong enough! Then to top it all off, 50 odd riders sprinting for 10th position or something, going for gaps that arent evenm there and cutting you up!

Closed circuit 3/4 races not for me, think i will stick to my road racing, where you can drop the chaff and cling ons who dont work on the hills. Harsh i know but had to be said. Right rant over........And relax!
    Up hup hup hup.....fricking hate that!
  • Pokerface
    Yeah - but I'm one of those guys that can't hold a straight line or a wheel! :)

I should fit right in then.

I'm surprised the fields are so big, but then again, it's early season and lots of people are wanting a go I guess.

I've pre-entered and paid. If I don't show - do I lose my fee?
  • wheeler585
    Well if you have paid just go and see, but i would reccomend to take your winter bike just in case! Im sure if you ring the organiser though, he will cancel your cheque.

But hey you might enjoy it if your a wibbler wobler, fit right in there boss :wink:
  • Pokerface
    edited March 2010
    I rode Shrewsbury last weekend and it was a medium-sized field. VERY short circuit with 2 hairpins. No problems holding the line through the corner.

Did struggle to hold wheels sprinting out of the corner - but that's just me. Once back in the group had no problems.

Maybe a lot of the people who went last weekend to Darley (like yourself) won't come back and the field will be smaller. It was the first race of the year after all....
  • wheeler585
    in that case, i will see you there chief ha!

Like your theory, but maybe the field will be even bigger than last time, might be worth while giving the E123 race ago, more points and would guarentee no crashes and crazy moves!
  • Pokerface
    I'm usually so far back in the field that I'm unlikely to cause any crashes - and any crashes that DO happen - will be so far in front of me I'll have time to get out of the way! :)

I go to Darley every year to see if I'm better than the previous year, plus it's nice to go to different circuits. No chance of trying to stick with the E123 boys. Not yet anyway!

So I will 'see' you there! Macc Wheelers (orange) kit. I'll be the guy with one leg. Probably getting lapped several times. 8)
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Didn't ride but did spectate for the last half of the race - apparently there weren't any crashes. It's always going to be a bit sketchy - best to be as aggressive as possible early on and try and force something - too many people there happy with a bunch finish - but understand it's hard to do anything on your own. How we make racers more aggressive is the big question but I don't have the answer. Maybe if it's still a bunch at the finish the organiser adds 10 laps to the race !

I do agree that the fields are too big - a separate thirds and fourths race would make more sense - why pitch beginners into as big a bunch as possible.

A break did get away fairly late on - maybe 8 laps to go - looked like about 7-8 riders and then 3-4 saw them going and bridged across. Speaking to a few lads who were in the race and fairly near the front of the bunch some didn't notice the break going because of confusion with lapping a group of back markers. They had 15 seconds with 2.5 laps to go, 10 with 1.5 laps and 5 seconds with half a lap but there didn't seem to be any chase in the bunch from there or riders making desperate attempts to get across and the 11 stayed away to sweep up the positions.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Tommolad
    Tommolad Posts: 35
    Tom get yerself to Spec-savers mate !
    Never been South of Clay Cross in me life cos its probably shiiiite .
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Well I did have to sort out some kids bike so it could pass the gear restrictions so I might have missed some of the racing !

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    What time does the race start at? Might go along to watch provided I don't have to clean the dogs ears!
  • Pokerface
    Percy Vera wrote:
    What time does the race start at? Might go along to watch provided I don't have to clean the dogs ears!

First race is 10:00AM
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    Pokerface wrote:
    Percy Vera wrote:

If I make it, I'll come and say hello!
  • Pokerface
    Percy Vera wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Percy Vera wrote:

I'll be easy to spot. Orange kit - riding around a good few minutes behind the bunch. Probably all on my own. :oops:
  • Pokerface
    Percy Vera wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Percy Vera wrote:

Percy- nice to meet you (albeit briefly).

Everyone else - it was a rather mundane affair. Bunch stuck together right until the end for a sprint finish.

Me - I was about 3 laps down, but unlike some people - carried on and still finished the race. Good training and all that. :oops: :oops:
  • trtimothy
    trtimothy Posts: 117
    Hi,

was just wondering if anyone knew when the results for darley moor come out and also if there's a website to get the photos from?
    Fun race though, although bit annoying how unwilling people were for anything but a bunch sprint.

Thanks

Tom
  • Tommolad
    :roll: christ stop moaning and attack harder or more often FFS
  • Tommolad
    :roll: christ stop moaning and attack harder or more often FFS